The Polk Legend Series is coming

Comments

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,744
    edited September 2019
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone said this yet. But DAMN with the grills on WOW those look gorgeous.
    Right! The picture of the L600 from the Hong Kong show didn't tell the whole story.
    09a3r3rtfch1.jpg

What a beautiful speaker. It has a retro yet modern look. Would for sure like to see and listen in person.

Polk_Legend_L600_Brown_High_3:4.png

Polk_Legend_L600_Brown_Back_Panel_3:4.png
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • DrenisDrenis Posts: 2,872
    Absolutely shocked when I got that email yesterday... Wasn't what I was expecting from a new line announcement. But holy crap am I ever freaking excited about the modern SDA release! Hard to believe it's even better! As someone who has never heard anything from the LSi/LSiM series, I'm very intrigued in these.

• verbverb Posts: 10,154
    Exquisite detail and craftsmanship. Even the outriggers, are they metal? :)
    zs2dqcw7i4iv.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,852
    Factory spiked with rubber covers.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Factory spiked with rubber covers.

Thanks Arty! So metal spikes, and the silver lateral pieces - are they also metal?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • Drenis wrote: »
    Absolutely shocked when I got that email yesterday... Wasn't what I was expecting from a new line announcement. But holy crap am I ever freaking excited about the modern SDA release! Hard to believe it's even better! As someone who has never heard anything from the LSi/LSiM series, I'm very intrigued in these.

Wow! Drenis lives! How go things up north in Canada man?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    verb wrote: »
    Exquisite detail and craftsmanship. Even the outriggers, are they metal? :)
    Given the weight of the towers, that has to be metal.

And look at the great looking center channel.

Polk_Legend_L400_Brown_High_3_4.png

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,788
    Digging the walnut, cherry was getting tired
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • DrenisDrenis Posts: 2,872
    Drenis wrote: »

Wow! Drenis lives! How go things up north in Canada man?

Hello Dan. Hope things are well with you and the fam. Your little one must be in kindergarten by now?

It's been an interesting past few years for me but I'm doing well. Thought I was done with this rabbit hole... LOL.
  • Drenis wrote: »
    Hello Dan. Hope things are well with you and the fam. Your little one must be in kindergarten by now?

It's been an interesting past few years for me but I'm doing well. Thought I was done with this rabbit hole... LOL.

Close. 1st grade this year for my oldest Skye. Scarlett is 3 (my second and last).

I’d love to catch up and hear more about the interesting past few years. PM me with details if you want.

Anyway glad to see you pop in and best wishes as always!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,676
    Welcome back Drenis...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • monepolkmonepolk Posts: 1,080
    Totally enjoyed the energy and excitement.
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 828
    edited September 2019
    Wished there was a bit more during the live-stream but Stu and crew were nice to see. Love the interview w/Stu and revisiting the design labs in Polk HQ.

I've always said the only thing that would make me move from my SDA's...is a better SDA. And, welp, it happened.

Realistically, there are 3 contenders in the running for me, however, it's a year or more out, IF it happens.
    1. Acoustic Zen Crescendo mkII: Listened to at Munich High End in '16, still haunts me
    2. PS Audio AN series under development
    3. Polk Audio L800
    Pretty sure I'm going to attend RMAF next year. Presumably, will be able to see/hear the Polk L800's at the show and/or a Denver dealer. Same goes for PS Audio and visiting their HQ in Boulder.

L800's, new, and the Crescendo's, used, are in the same price range. AN-2 will most likely be around $15-20K. PSA would have to be a huge leap for me to even consider. Really hoping the L800's "blow my sack back" (Trade Marked--@tonyb).

Way to go Polk...Stu and crew. Had the pleasure of meeting Stu at Polkfest 2012 and hanging out at his house. What a magnificent exit for Stu as the last of the old Polk guard! Bravo!!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies Deep Core, EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,396
    edited September 2019
    Looks like I will have to make a road trip to ABT electronics in Glenview Illinois to audition the L800s come thier release date in November. That's the closest to me.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.

Ya never know! If the flagships take off, there's money to be made! :)
  • pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2019
    Very nice! :) Thanks for sharing that Mike!

k66tj5a7jehe.png

I love the look of these these with the grills on.

These are big and wide speakers that will take up a pretty good footprint and I am curious if, like other SDAs, they will need a good bit of space from the side and rear walls and also between the speakers themselves.

I cannot wait until people can start getting ears on them and sharing how well they sound. I would have thought that Polk would have made these available immediately after the reveal, to build on the hype, rather than having prospective customers wait almost 2 months from the reveal date until the date of release. Is that a common way of doing things in the audio world?

I can only speculate, but in my biz (automotive) there are a lot of activities happening simultaneously. Marketing, trying to generate buzz and hype, while engineering is still solving technical issues, and manufacturing gearing up for production.

The goal is to have full production up and running, and available for sale, at the time of maximum hype and demand.

Since these guys are made in China, it also takes some time via cargo ship to get here as well (~ 6 weeks on average). So IMO it seems about right.
  • KexKex Posts: 4,270
    Since these guys are made in China, it also takes some time via cargo ship to get here as well (~ 6 weeks on average). So IMO it seems about right.
    A lot of good stuff is designed in the U.S.A. and made in China (iPhones, iPads etc.). Good design and affordable manufacturing with flawless QC is an interesting combination... but tariffs cometh... hopefully, this will not be an impediment to the success of such a great revival statement.

Alea jacta est!
    Tariffs will be over by the end of the year...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • KexKex Posts: 4,270
    Tariffs will be over by the end of the year...
    From your 💋 to ... God’s👂... if only for the health of my ongoing investments! 😂
    Alea jacta est!
    pglbook wrote: »
    I would have thought that Polk would have made these available immediately after the reveal, to build on the hype, rather than having prospective customers wait almost 2 months from the reveal date until the date of release. Is that a common way of doing things in the audio world?
    What's common is an announcement at CES at the beginning of the year and no product available until the 3rd -4th quarter of the year. Two months is nothing, IMO.

FAMILY ROOM
    edited September 2019
    Another snippet from Mark Henninger at AVS Forum (post #57):

"I sincerely feel that at $6K per pair the Polk Legend L800 towers are the best value true high-end flagship tower speakers at RMAF 2019.

After-show listening to tracks of my choosing cemented it... The imaging these speakers are capable of is mind-blowing, easily putting sounds way far outside their physical separation. Blaze Mountain from Sounds from the Ground's new album Binary had sounds that seemed to literally be to my sides, that's how far the panoramic imaging stretched! But the speakers themselves are conventionally positioned.

Nothing else I heard here imaged like these."
    pvxw5h4adgkx.png
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3089080-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2019-pictures-impressions-2.html
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,394
    Bummer the SDA tech didn’t filter down the line. To me it’s the only compelling thing about these speakers that would warrant an upgrade, and at $6k a par might as well be unobtanium.

heh -- SDA... filter.
    I see what you did there.

B)

• vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,975
    This is fantastic. Hope I can get my ears on a pair of the big boys. Can't believe it actually happened. The (re)introduction of SDA to today's market should be fun to watch.
    Den: Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Adcom GFP-750 * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * ProJect Stream Box Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: Roon * LG v30 phone * Dared MP-5 * DefTech SM45
    Beach: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * Schiit Yggdrasil * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Sonore microRendu * Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22

Another cool illustration! :)
    yjoljm6yrcs4.png
    edited September 2019