Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

1235»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Milito wrote: »
    I'm running a 5000 with my 2070 on my 3.1 setup with my 705's and 704 and it seems to be plenty of power for my setup. I did notice a difference with upgraded power cords on my amp and AVR.

which power cords did you upgrade to?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Would love some more advice, I think i decided on the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3 = 250 watts 5 channels driven 8ohms for $1699. Decided to take the advice of driving more channels plus get 5 now and have room to upgrade & add height speakers later to be driven by receiver. Outlaw makes a decent 5000 5 @ 120 watts just $649, Marantz 7 channel 140 watts $1499 or there is Anthem but very pricy, MCA 5 X 225 watts for $3499. Anyone running Emotiva? Good quality for the money?? Thanks for the help!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    mrloren wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »
    I'm running a 5000 with my 2070 on my 3.1 setup with my 705's and 704 and it seems to be plenty of power for my setup. I did notice a difference with upgraded power cords on my amp and AVR.

which power cords did you upgrade to?

Cullen Gold Power Cable.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2019
    Mrloren likes his Emotiva just fine. It's good power, and well made, and will allow all of your speakers to operate to their full potential. Good job, supply pictures and thoughts once you get everything hooked up and have had a chance to get use to it.

And if I didn't say so before, Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Mrloren likes his Emotiva just fine. It's good power, and well made, and will allow all of your speakers to operate to their full potential. Good job, supply pictures and thoughts once you get everything hooked up and have had a chance to get use to it.

And if I didn't say so before, Welcome to Club Polk!

Awesome, going to pull the trigger on the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 3. I have enjoyed 7.1 LSi (LSi fronts, FX for side and rears) for 13 years now. Looking forward to what the LSiM can do :) Thank you again for the help and advice!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Yes I've been happy with the two Emotiva amps I've owned. So far so good. Others on this forum have had good luck with them as well. They are not Parasounds but they do get the job done.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    mrloren wrote: »
    Yes I've been happy with the two Emotiva amps I've owned. So far so good. Others on this forum have had good luck with them as well. They are not Parasounds but they do get the job done.

The XPA3-Gen 1is boxed but still in working order. Rocking an XPA2-Gen 1 and Gen 2 and XPA-DR3. After the 707's get here, I have a pair of RTiA3's I'm going to try and use as heights and move the A9's to rear. I'll need to break out the XPA3 for the heights.

I've got an old school oak roll top desk I'm going to use in my office, think I'll set up a pair of 703's for near field use by the desk.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Milito
    Well, I did a Citi Price Rewind on my Citi Card and they just emailed that they found a cheaper price at Rakuten.com of $813.65 for the pair which I paid $1,138.00 for the pair of 705's. I'm getting $324.35 back from them. I'll take it!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Milito wrote: »
    Well, I did a Citi Price Rewind on my Citi Card and they just emailed that they found a cheaper price at Rakuten.com of $813.65 for the pair which I paid $1,138.00 for the pair of 705's. I'm getting $324.35 back from them. I'll take it!
    5078223.jpg
  • Milito
    My Citi AAdvantage card has a service where they will check prices for 60 days on anything you buy with the card. If they find a lower price they will refund the difference. You have to registered your purchase on the Citi card site. The program is going to end in September I believe.
  • For what it's worth I have a Denon x4400h and only ran a 3 channel setup- 706c and two 705's. Above -10dB I would get crackling in the center channel and distortion. It was okay for Stereo but I didn't try to push it. It's rated at 125 watt per channel at 8 ohms. I ended up picking up some Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks that are rated at 200 watt per channel. They run cool to the touch and super low profile. I think you can find these at about $150 a pop used and totally worth it. I can listen to reference levels now without any hint of distortion. In hindsight, I might not have spent so much on the receiver if I had known this. But the Audyssey calibration seems to have pushed the 705's into a more neutral sound. They can sound boomy if not moved away from the walls.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They run cool to the touch

Never a good sign.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    I spit on receivers.