Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

Options

Comments

• Landmonster
    Options
    Shopping is more fun than buying. Nevertheless, I took advantage of Adorama's most recent sale to pick up a pair of 703s.

Nice, $259 each?
  • Landmonster
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You keep dragging your feet and you won't have any LSiM's to purchase because they are being discontinued. Fact!

Do you work for Polk? ;)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,928
    Options
    They are being discontinued, it is a fact...
  • Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm just kidding.

I already own the 703s, and the 706c.

Given that these are epic sales this week, I just ordered 2 705 speakers, and 2 707 speakers!

When they arrive, I will do a direct A/B comparison, and see what's what. I will also determine if either (or neither) can be adequately driven by my Denon X4500h.

However, I can't really fit all 6 in my living room, I can only fit 4. The question will be which to keep...

707 front + 703 surrounds?
    707 front + 705 surrounds?
    705 front, + 703 surrounds?

It will be interesting...
  • diverdog
    diverdog Posts: 27
    Options
    707 for $659! Dang I just paid 850 3 days ago!!
  • Landmonster
    Options
    diverdog wrote: »
    707 for $659! Dang I just paid 850 3 days ago!!

Cancel your order and order these? Or email customer service
  • diverdog
    diverdog Posts: 27
    Options
    All ready shipped and paid for via Amazon. Still a great deal but who knew??
  • Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    Options
    diverdog wrote: »
    All ready shipped and paid for via Amazon. Still a great deal but who knew??

They will probably be less than $659 eventually. This is heresy, but I bet they will still have a final close out. It may be weeks or months from now.

However, I decided these prices are good enough. I don't need to stress myself out over trying to save $50 or 100. It is unlikely they will fall MUCH below these.

My question now is which ones to keep. Then try to finish my theater build, and try to enjoy them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You keep dragging your feet and you won't have any LSiM's to purchase because they are being discontinued. Fact!

Do you work for Polk? ;)

No, but I know plenty who do. The replacement models will be announced in September. Take that to the bank.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options

Do you work for Polk? ;)

No, but I know plenty who do. The replacement models will be announced in September. Take that to the bank.

About time, I saw part of the prototype 2&1/2 years ago on the Polk tour. From what I saw it was sweet looking.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    They are being discontinued, it is a fact...

Do you also work for Polk?

In a way I do my part working for Polk, along with a few others around here, there are tunnels within the forum where some are lucky enough to have access to info...

I would invite you to the dark side but they would kill me for doing so, they make a satanic ritual look like a vacation in Florida on a hot sunny day. There is no "Thank you sir may I have another" in this group, and Jesse is not the only one who sleeps in a coffin..

• tlainhart
    tlainhart Posts: 66
    Options

That's great to hear - that there will be replacements for their high-end. Based on their product offerings and current marketing, I assumed that they were getting out of that end of the market.

Any other skinny on the replacement line?

• F1nut
    Options
    Yep, but I can't tell you.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tlainhart
    tlainhart Posts: 66
    Options

Ha - I guess all will soon be revealed :smile:

Until then, I prefer to assume that they will be an improvement, a delight for the senses.
  • Landmonster
    Options
    tlainhart wrote: »

Ha - I guess all will soon be revealed :smile:

Until then, I prefer to assume that they will be an improvement, a delight for the senses.

They include an olfactory mode, to give your theater an odor from the digital content.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    They will be available in Black..... :p
  • TheSpirit
    Options
    Hi guys, great posts and information. I need some help please. The special on Slick Deals was dead, I called and Adorama honored $1687 for 707X2 and 1 706. I have 7.1 with all LSi currently. Going to replace the front LSI 15 and center with these. Any concerns with having 8 Ohm front 3 and 4Xsurrounds still 4 Ohm? Powered by Pioneer Elite VSX-94 TXH. I was consider updating new receiver but hear new tech comes out next year & will probably hold off. Please understand, I know very little in regards to specs and audio set up. I always read the LSi needed more power than my Elite but honestly, system sounds great. Wanted to make sure ok mixing the 8Ohm and 4Ohm (should be ok as the Elite can do and has been driving all 4 Ohm speakers for years, 80 is the drop off for sub) and which amp should I get? I use amp to drive just the 2 fronts or all 3? Figure I get the amp now with Elite and then upgrade to new receiver next year? The Elite still sounds great but it is old, a lot has upgraded since (looking at you Atmos). Thank you for the advice and patience. I cant stress enough how little I know. I am glad I weaseled in and still got this deal on these speakers.
  • mrloren
    Options
    TheSpirit wrote: »
    Hi guys, great posts and information. I need some help please. The special on Slick Deals was dead, I called and Adorama honored $1687 for 707X2 and 1 706. I have 7.1 with all LSi currently. Going to replace the front LSI 15 and center with these. Any concerns with having 8 Ohm front 3 and 4Xsurrounds still 4 Ohm? Powered by Pioneer Elite VSX-94 TXH. I was consider updating new receiver but hear new tech comes out next year & will probably hold off. Please understand, I know very little in regards to specs and audio set up. I always read the LSi needed more power than my Elite but honestly, system sounds great. Wanted to make sure ok mixing the 8Ohm and 4Ohm (should be ok as the Elite can do and has been driving all 4 Ohm speakers for years, 80 is the drop off for sub) and which amp should I get? I use amp to drive just the 2 fronts or all 3? Figure I get the amp now with Elite and then upgrade to new receiver next year? The Elite still sounds great but it is old, a lot has upgraded since (looking at you Atmos). Thank you for the advice and patience. I cant stress enough how little I know. I am glad I weaseled in and still got this deal on these speakers.

Cool they sold to you at the discount. I had my bro talked into getting a pair, oops too late.

Don't know about mixing loads on an AVR.

Amps, for budget minded Emotiva, Outlaw or Monoprice Monolith, Only goes up from there. Bigger Outlaw or Anthem, I do like the Anthem amps, nice warm sound to them, kind of like a poor mans Parasound. Parasound amps are awesome.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • TheSpirit
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    TheSpirit wrote: »

Cool they sold to you at the discount. I had my bro talked into getting a pair, oops too late.

Don't know about mixing loads on an AVR.

Amps, for budget minded Emotiva, Outlaw or Monoprice Monolith, Only goes up from there. Bigger Outlaw or Anthem, I do like the Anthem amps, nice warm sound to them, kind of like a poor mans Parasound. Parasound amps are awesome.

Thanks! I like Anthem and do plan to update receiver next year. Do I get an amp to drive just front 2? Front 3? All 5? At some point would like Atmos and height speakers and unsure how many channels I should look to drive with the new Amp addition. Appreciate the help and insight.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Thing with amps is you want to drive as many channels as you can. Monolith and Emotiva make up 11 channel amps. For anything over 7 channel I like the Monolith, it comes at 200W X 3 with the remaining channels being 100W. The Emotiva use a smaller 65W on the surround channels. Depending on budget an Anthem MCA 325 for the front 3 and an Anthem PVA 7 for the surrounds.

I'd as @F1nut about mixing loads, if anybody know it would be him.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options

I'd ask @F1nut about mixing loads, if anybody know it would be him.

This is just wrong I tell you, just wrong!!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The load presented by any speaker to an amplifier varies depending on what frequencies the speaker is pumping out at any given time. It's not a constant load but the manufacturers publish nominal ratings to give people an idea of the current requirements of a speaker. So a 4 ohm nominal rated speaker presents a heavier load to an amplifier than an 8 ohm nominal rated speaker. The side effect of that heavier load on a traditional class of amplifier section found in a receiver is heat generation, which is why receivers are rated to be compatible only down to certain load levels by their manufacturers.

So, using speakers with different nominal ratings doesn't matter to an amplifier whether it's in an AVR or a separate amp as long as the amplifier has enough current to meet the draw from all of the speakers. Ask too much of an amplifier and speaker drivers will start to overheat and burn out. That could happen with an 8 ohm, 6 ohm, or 4 ohm speaker running too hard from an AVR.

But, some speakers are more efficient than others and may sound naturally louder. That's where adjusting output levels in the AVR is required so each channel is level matched. What does matter is how much current the AVR can provide to all of the speakers it is being tasked with running as an AVR only has one relatively small power supply.

The VSX 94 receiver is a good one, but it is really only rated by Pioneer to play nicely with speakers with nominal ratings down to 6 ohms. There is some degree of flexibility in those ratings which are needed so a receiver can pass industry safety certification standards. I don't think that model had the D3 digital amplifier module that is rated to be compatible with 4 ohm speakers. There is supposed to be a menu setting in the receiver's display to set the receiver to either 6 ohm or 8 ohm compatibility. Sure it will work with 4 ohm rated speakers, and it obviously did well, but in reality the receiver was probably limiting power supply to the speakers over the years and not getting the best out of them.

Both the LSi and LSiM lines can sound much better with more power from a separate amplifier than they were getting from the receiver. If it was my system, I'd get a separate amp and use the receiver as a processor for a while.
  • mrloren
    Options
    ^^^logical^^^
  • TheSpirit
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The load presented by any speaker to an amplifier varies depending on what frequencies the speaker is pumping out at any given time. It's not a constant load but the manufacturers publish nominal ratings to give people an idea of the current requirements of a speaker. So a 4 ohm nominal rated speaker presents a heavier load to an amplifier than an 8 ohm nominal rated speaker. The side effect of that heavier load on a traditional class of amplifier section found in a receiver is heat generation, which is why receivers are rated to be compatible only down to certain load levels by their manufacturers.

So, using speakers with different nominal ratings doesn't matter to an amplifier whether it's in an AVR or a separate amp as long as the amplifier has enough current to meet the draw from all of the speakers. Ask too much of an amplifier and speaker drivers will start to overheat and burn out. That could happen with an 8 ohm, 6 ohm, or 4 ohm speaker running too hard from an AVR.

But, some speakers are more efficient than others and may sound naturally louder. That's where adjusting output levels in the AVR is required so each channel is level matched. What does matter is how much current the AVR can provide to all of the speakers it is being tasked with running as an AVR only has one relatively small power supply.

The VSX 94 receiver is a good one, but it is really only rated by Pioneer to play nicely with speakers with nominal ratings down to 6 ohms. There is some degree of flexibility in those ratings which are needed so a receiver can pass industry safety certification standards. I don't think that model had the D3 digital amplifier module that is rated to be compatible with 4 ohm speakers. There is supposed to be a menu setting in the receiver's display to set the receiver to either 6 ohm or 8 ohm compatibility. Sure it will work with 4 ohm rated speakers, and it obviously did well, but in reality the receiver was probably limiting power supply to the speakers over the years and not getting the best out of them.

Both the LSi and LSiM lines can sound much better with more power from a separate amplifier than they were getting from the receiver. If it was my system, I'd get a separate amp and use the receiver as a processor for a while.

Oh man, so much good information here. Thank you! Yes, the 94 did ok with 7 4 ohm Lsi speakers but I always felt they needed more power (friends and wife said I was crazy). Once I get the front LsiM hooked up, drive front 2 or take the advice of drive as many as I can with the largest amp ($$$) I can? Those Lsi got loud with just the 94, excited to see what happens when I add more an amp!
  • mrloren
    Options
    It won't get much louder in the DB range. With an amp your overall sound quality will improve 10X. Detail, dynamics and clarity are the big plus to adding an amp. you will hear things you never thought where in the music.
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It won't get much louder in the DB range. With an amp your overall sound quality will improve 10X. Detail, dynamics and clarity are the big plus to adding an amp. you will hear things you never thought where in the music.
    will it matter how powerful the amp is because I'm inclined to get the Outlaw 5000 but was told on the avsforum not to bi-amp even to an external amp, which makes me now wonder if that detail, dynamic, clarity, headroom will come in better with something more powerful like 200-275w/ch amps (monolith or xpa3) of course, someone else then stated that normal listening levels are at 80w and I'm not going to be blasting it or listening to more than 2 or 3ch at at time during a movie ...even for music I wouldn't mind just keeping it 2ch
  • F1nut
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Bi-amping involves 2 separate amplifiers meaning completely separate power supplies not a shared supply. In addition and extremely important it requires the use of active crossovers. Anything else isn't bi-amping. Forget you ever had the idea.

President of Club Polk

• juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Bi-amping involves 2 separate amplifiers meaning completely separate power supplies not a shared supply. In addition and extremely important it requires the use of active crossovers. Anything else isn't bi-amping. Forget you ever had the idea.
    I see, thank you! 5000 will suffice then; first, I'll just see how it sounds with only the rx-a3080 that's coming Tues.

The AudioQuest NRG-4 power cord was also mentioned to improve clarity in a review about the amp, is it a negligible difference or worth it?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Not to sound snarky, but Yes, and Yes to your last sentence. I didn't have a fall to the floor moment when I tried an upgraded power cord, but I did notice some things improved, mostly that my rig was quieter, less noise in the signal path? It all depends on which PC you get, really.
    Look at it this way, if you don't like what it does to your system (synergy is trial-and-error, after all), you can probably sell it for little to no loss. My .02
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm running a 5000 with my 2070 on my 3.1 setup with my 705's and 704 and it seems to be plenty of power for my setup. I did notice a difference with upgraded power cords on my amp and AVR.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.