My Polk Monitor 12 Find

2»

Comments

• The RTA12s are true audiophile speakers. The Monitor 12s are not. They're fine speakers and they'll play loud, but not in the same league as the RTAs
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    And leave the Monitor 12 tweeters alone. Swapping them will not be a positive direction.
  • Yeah- I thought the 12’s would be closer in SQ to Polk Monitor 10’s that I have owned in the past but they really are not for many reasons. I think the 12’s will do fine in the garage. Still don’t regret dropping $20 on them.
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    And leave the Monitor 12 tweeters alone. Swapping them will not be a positive direction.

Are you talking about Monitor 12’s or the RTA 12’s?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The monitor 12s, the RTA 12s should be updated.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    TheKid wrote: »
    Decided that just makes sense to upgrade the RTA tweeters and just drop those tweeters into the 12’s. Not a upgrade I know but no sense in putting out more money than I need to given where these fit given other speakers I own.

so you are putting the SL2500 tweeters in the RTA12's Is that correct?

The RD-0194 are better tweeters by far. Your RTA12 XO will work better with the RD-0194.

but hey whatever floats your boat.

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Decided that just makes sense to upgrade the RTA tweeters and just drop those tweeters into the 12’s. Not a upgrade I know but no sense in putting out more money than I need to given where these fit given other speakers I own.

The RD-0194 are better tweeters by far. Your RTA12 XO will work better with the RD-0194.

No. The Monitor 12’s had one bad SL2500 tweeter so I was going to upgrade the RTA tweeters and take those tweeters and use them for the Monitor 12’s
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No. The Monitor 12’s had one bad SL2500 tweeter so I was going to upgrade the RTA tweeters and take those tweeters and use them for the Monitor 12’s

Bad idea. Yes upgrade the RTA12 to the RD-0194 but the tweeters from the RTA 12 going to the monitor 12 are going to be going into a crossover not made for that tweeter.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Bad idea. Yes upgrade the RTA12 to the RD-0194 but the tweeters from the RTA 12 going to the monitor 12 are going to be going into a crossover not made for that tweeter.

I will double check but I thought I had read that some of the early versions of the 12 used that tweeter but they also may have a different x-over to accommodate it as well. If that is not an option then I may just see if I can get an orphan 2500 off EBay. I am not going to sink much into the 12’s if they are only doing duty in the garage.
  • pitdogg2

I will double check but I thought I had read that some of the early versions of the 12 used that tweeter but they also may have a different x-over to accommodate it as well. If that is not an option then I may just see if I can get an orphan 2500 off EBay. I am not going to sink much into the 12’s if they are only doing duty in the garage.

There was never a version of monitor 12 that used anything BUT the sl2500 tweeter. They came along after Polk had already started using the sl2500.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Your RTA12c...... do they have the peerless tweeters (black) or polk silver dome tweeters? There were several variations between the rta12b l and rta12c.

I absolutely love my 12b.
  • CH46E wrote: »
    Your RTA12c...... do they have the peerless tweeters (black) or polk silver dome tweeters? There were several variations between the rta12b l and rta12c.

I absolutely love my 12b.

No Peerless with my 12C’s. Hope to replace the Silver tweeters next month since we have a upcoming vacation this month.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I doubt it, they should be the silver coil black faced tweeters. I always forget thier number. Sl2000 or ??????
  • pitdogg2
    Well they came with all 3 and his silver tweeters comment lead my to the sl1000.
    Yes the sl2000 is the last tweeter thise came with. I do believe some later models still came with the sl1000.
  • You coul do a little experiment and turn the monitor 12s into SDAs just for fun ya know
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub