My Polk Monitor 12 Find

Options
2»

Comments

• westmassguy
    Options
    The RTA12s are true audiophile speakers. The Monitor 12s are not. They're fine speakers and they'll play loud, but not in the same league as the RTAs
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    And leave the Monitor 12 tweeters alone. Swapping them will not be a positive direction.
  • TheKid
    Options
    Yeah- I thought the 12’s would be closer in SQ to Polk Monitor 10’s that I have owned in the past but they really are not for many reasons. I think the 12’s will do fine in the garage. Still don’t regret dropping $20 on them.
  • TheKid
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    And leave the Monitor 12 tweeters alone. Swapping them will not be a positive direction.

Are you talking about Monitor 12’s or the RTA 12’s?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The monitor 12s, the RTA 12s should be updated.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    TheKid wrote: »
    Decided that just makes sense to upgrade the RTA tweeters and just drop those tweeters into the 12’s. Not a upgrade I know but no sense in putting out more money than I need to given where these fit given other speakers I own.

so you are putting the SL2500 tweeters in the RTA12's Is that correct?

The RD-0194 are better tweeters by far. Your RTA12 XO will work better with the RD-0194.

but hey whatever floats your boat.

• TheKid
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Decided that just makes sense to upgrade the RTA tweeters and just drop those tweeters into the 12’s. Not a upgrade I know but no sense in putting out more money than I need to given where these fit given other speakers I own.

The RD-0194 are better tweeters by far. Your RTA12 XO will work better with the RD-0194.

No. The Monitor 12’s had one bad SL2500 tweeter so I was going to upgrade the RTA tweeters and take those tweeters and use them for the Monitor 12’s
  • pitdogg2
    Options

No. The Monitor 12’s had one bad SL2500 tweeter so I was going to upgrade the RTA tweeters and take those tweeters and use them for the Monitor 12’s

Bad idea. Yes upgrade the RTA12 to the RD-0194 but the tweeters from the RTA 12 going to the monitor 12 are going to be going into a crossover not made for that tweeter.
  • TheKid
    Options

Bad idea. Yes upgrade the RTA12 to the RD-0194 but the tweeters from the RTA 12 going to the monitor 12 are going to be going into a crossover not made for that tweeter.

I will double check but I thought I had read that some of the early versions of the 12 used that tweeter but they also may have a different x-over to accommodate it as well. If that is not an option then I may just see if I can get an orphan 2500 off EBay. I am not going to sink much into the 12’s if they are only doing duty in the garage.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

I will double check but I thought I had read that some of the early versions of the 12 used that tweeter but they also may have a different x-over to accommodate it as well. If that is not an option then I may just see if I can get an orphan 2500 off EBay. I am not going to sink much into the 12’s if they are only doing duty in the garage.

There was never a version of monitor 12 that used anything BUT the sl2500 tweeter. They came along after Polk had already started using the sl2500.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    Your RTA12c...... do they have the peerless tweeters (black) or polk silver dome tweeters? There were several variations between the rta12b l and rta12c.

I absolutely love my 12b.
  • TheKid
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Your RTA12c...... do they have the peerless tweeters (black) or polk silver dome tweeters? There were several variations between the rta12b l and rta12c.

I absolutely love my 12b.

No Peerless with my 12C’s. Hope to replace the Silver tweeters next month since we have a upcoming vacation this month.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    Options
    I doubt it, they should be the silver coil black faced tweeters. I always forget thier number. Sl2000 or ??????
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well they came with all 3 and his silver tweeters comment lead my to the sl1000.
    Yes the sl2000 is the last tweeter thise came with. I do believe some later models still came with the sl1000.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    You coul do a little experiment and turn the monitor 12s into SDAs just for fun ya know
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub