Combine Vintage LSi9 with LSIM

How much would this be worth: An LSi type badge front mounted on an LSiM tweeter that has been removed from the sonic basket and rotated above the midrange instead of below it. With a Monitor60 grill instead of the heavy oem magnet-grill.
Advantage is to have a top mounted tweeter above the grill, plus looks cool.
I have always been a fan of the LSi series and the updated LSiMs are hard to beat as far as the sound goes.

l39gy1s5jmkv.jpeg
9c72c9u9sety.jpeg
0nkjnl1zg1g1.jpeg
bcch9e245feu.jpeg
vs9p5ruex1lq.jpeg
8sbtx6e2dlca.jpeg

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    holy frankenpolks!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    How much is it worth? Probably less than either of the donor speakers. You are unlikely to recoup your investment on the "mods".

But more importantly. How does it sound? if you like it just play it and enjoy.
  • So right about “worth”—definitely a reduction from the original prices —I am not even sure what I meant by that! But yes, the sound is still great - the test will be if I can create a second one and test them together. I would rather Polk picked up this design - I would pay a good price for it rather than some of their later rollouts.
    But you are right - the ultimate test is the ears. And this unit is still sweet to hear.

And I must say that even my wife, who originally condemned my deconstructing the top half of the “beautiful” LSiM stated that the final result looks pretty awesome.
    I guess I am asking myself , is re-arranging the sonic basket worth it? I do admit I always liked the LSi tweeter style aligned with the dual small ports next to it. Maybe I just missed that!

Polk- you have my vote! That’s one so far.... :)
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Those look fuggly.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Does it come with Alexa? That makes anything with a Polk badge bonifide.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Of course by “look pretty awesome” she did NOT mean without the new grille in place.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    2tehe8fe6g5k.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'm still not even sure what I'm looking at, nor what I read.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2019
    Several disadvantages, but doubt you care to know what they are....

Tweeter is surface mounted, diffraction.
    Mid is recessed and will diffract off of tweeter above and off the odd shaped opening it is recessed far into and the holes for grill.
    When grill is mounted tweeter will diffract off of top edge of grille.

Tweeter is mount similar in 3 directions, to edges of baffle, will create more baffle edge diffraction issues.

Other than that ..looks uh.....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    What an abomination. In this case, the sum is clearly not better than the parts.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Mr. Vanderson said the sound was hard to beat, I believe him, your aesthetics are null it’s all about the sound Mr. Ho ..€€
    DaveHo wrote: »
    What an abomination. In this case, the sum is clearly not better than the parts.

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • DaveHo
    warren wrote: »
    Mr. Vanderson said the sound was hard to beat, I believe him, your aesthetics are null it’s all about the sound Mr. Ho ..€€

You make the assumption that the OP knows what good sound is. I'm not convinced.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    It’s not about you, it’s about the sound.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Whatever makes you happy 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Yes, I may have to do more with the tweeter. but I just thought that if you have , for example an LSi9 and redesign its tweeter to place it above the top of the two drivers, instead of in between the two, just as with the 2-way LSi7 has it's tweeter above its solo mid-woofer, aren't you "keeping it real"? If I were to seriously test this out, I would need to set up some listening mikes. So... Mike...are you listening to this!!?

Sorry. just trying to lighten the discussion.

Anyway, the LSiM "sonic basket" seems to just 'coffin' its midrange, not the tweeter. How is that a real basket, if both are not encased? Just a philosophical dispute I am having with myself.

I did feel it was good that I am using the same LSiM tweeter--I did not want to disrespect Polk's upgraded LSiM ring-radiator. Plus I am sure you should not mix-match ohm impedance [ I've seen the charts! ] In fact I have two LSiM tweeters to spare, -- the fragile soldered connector lugs keep breaking off if you dare try to do anything except leave them alone!

Anyway, some of your sound objections have been heard. Good discussion and thanks for some feedback. I think a few like the design. Again...not a great resale move, but it was fun and my curiosity now is satisfied; that is to say, about wondering if I could ever do this and not utterly destroy the sound parameters, and not burn down the house. Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in this experiment. ( &note to self: get a set of better , matching mounting screws for the new/old tweeter/badge plate.)
  • K_M
    warren wrote: »

You make the assumption that the OP knows what good sound is. I'm not convinced.

After having heard several systems from people that talked as if they knew great sound, I have found huge variations.
    Therefore most "sound" comments are taken with grains of salt!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Especially yours
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Not The Closet Again!,
    :o
    I know ˋˋ good sound´´ in the very end has to be subjective, even with the best measurements, although I do pay attention to the Hz range levels upper and lower as well as the ohm rating. I have had several types of speakers and I still keep a pair of Infinity RS2 bookshelf units. However, I always seem to like Polk's offerings the most. I started with a Polk Monitor 60 years ago. Then, I became fixated with the LSi's, starting with the LSi15, before graduating up to the powered LSi25's. Both of the tower LSis were very good sounding speakers and for a while I was happily settled on the LSi15s, but then due to spacing issues I 'downsized' to the LSi9s. S But here I am again with a speaker that weighs as much as a fattened horse.
    Before the LSiM705 I had a couple of sets of the LSiM703 bookshelf units.
    They too seemed better at producing great sound than either the LSi9 or even the LSi15. I became dissatisfied only because the speaker stand that I used was sturdy, heavy...and somewhat of a distraction.

So for me the LSiM705 is a keeper. a top of the line, luxurious speaker for most of us.

I cannot swear that re-locating the LSiM705 tweeter above the rest of the drivers improves the already renowned sound of this LSiM705 speaker, and to suggest that Polk missed the boat in any way with it's 'sonic engine' basket may be a bit of heresy. But as I mentioned earlier I may be suffering from the after-effects of staring at the LSi9, LSi15 and LSi25 for so many years that I just miss looking at that series' historically incredible, off-centered LSi dual ring radiator tweeter with it's crazy port holes on the side.

AT WORST, I would guess that my "design" relocation of this LSiM tweeter off-center and behind the LSi plastic mouting plate is a bit too high off the ground if Polk's leveling off of their LSiM705 tweeter at its original height has anything lot to do with matching or comparing the height of the listener's ears when that listener is seated.
    & To be honest I originally purchased this LSiM705 as a discounted , slightly damaged speaker - I am not sure if I would have tried this with a full priced top condition unit.
    Probably not. The LSiMs are finely made, expensive speakers.

• K_M
    F1nut wrote: »
    Especially yours

Exactly!
    Someone my age would have far better high frequency ability, that would not convey to what you deem good sound.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    If someone has a real DIY bug, it's usually better to start from scratch and learn how speakers are engineered by building a cabinet and selecting appropriate drivers and crossover components. A person can learn a lot about electrical values, acoustics and audio reproduction that way. Or just start by updating stock speaker crossovers with components of same values but higher quality.

I don't hold any objections to someone trashing their own property though. :)

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    K_M wrote: »
    Especially yours

Exactly!
    Someone my age would have far better high frequency ability, that would not convey to what you deem good sound.

It's amazing how you can be so wrong about so much.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• So...when all is said and done, one day, after I get another LSiM705, I will set up some tests for a pair of these, first with myself, starting with a three hour listening test of sounds and music with a couple of cold bottles of O’Doul’s. Then I can next work my way up to inviting two or three friends to listen to these perhaps as they enjoy my obvious bribe of steak and pizza. in the hope that they like this design; I will need to put the pinch on them for investment funding. :)
    04sgujt0pnu4.jpeg
  • K_M
    edited August 2019
    Especially yours

Exactly!

It's amazing how you can be so wrong about so much.

Yes just truly amazing.
    Post edited by K_M on
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Especially yours

Exactly!

As usual a broad brush and untrue statement. Over the last decade spending time with true audiophiles most over 50, some that can hear a gnatfart, you'd be surprised of what a well trained ear can hear....at utmost understand and convey
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DaveHo
    Those speakers are still as hideous as the first time I saw them. If you think they sound good, more power to you.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Why not order a kit off Parts Express and get your DIY on? Instead of trashing a perfectly good speaker? But...its yours. lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.