Any Audi Owners - Looking for Advice

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    edited August 2019
    I love driving the VW's, Audi, MB....but would never own one past any warranty period. I would feel much more comfortable owning a boat.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Just don't do it! If your mechanic says it's a good car then he's lying.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,555
    The turbo 4's used to have oil ring issues. They burned oil and fouled
    the cat's, requiring $$$ to get them past the smog tests.
    My co-worker had one and it ate money.
    Audi isn't Toyota. An Avalon might be boring, but it's 300,000 miles
    of boring if taken care of.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • charley95
    Scotty Kilmer- YouTube can answer all your Audi questions. He's loony but always on the money on what to buy and not to buy. He's a 50 plus year unbiased non sponsored mechanic.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I would be very careful, get your mechanic to pull all the spark plugs to check for oil. I wouldn’t be surprised if this Audi eats oil like crazy. Unless he can verify that he had the extended recall for pistons and rings. If it doesn’t burn oil and hasn’t had the recall, then call it a miracle, and I bet it will start shortly after you buy it.

One of the reasons the rear main bill is higher than usual, is that the crankcase ventilation valve needs to be replaced, as higher than normal negative crankcase pressure damages the 2 piece rear main seal. And not only causes oil leaks, but lean faults stored in the ECM. The seal and valve are to be replaced together, otherwise you’ll find yourself doing another seal in a short period of time.

I’ve been a factory trained VW/Audi tech for 15 years. Only recently I’ve crossed to the dark side fixing BMW.

Get that car looked at by a tech that knows Audi, most non Audi techs miss half the stuff that’s wrong with these cars.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Mikey - that’s exactly what I’ve been finding researching the car. The PCV valve is almost always the cause of the RMS failure and should be replaced when the seal is replaced. Also been reading about the crappy rings and the fact that many owners had their engines repaired or replaced by Audi because of that. I will check to see what (if any) work has been done on those common issues.

My mechanic is going to check the pressure to see if the cylinders/pistons/rings are OK. So, he will be pulling the spark plugs.

Honestly, I’m losing interest in this car because of all I’ve been reading and the advice given here.

Haven’t heard from the kid yet today, so who knows if I’ll even be getting it checked tomorrow...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,872
    Maybe a moot point at this stage, but there was a class action lawsuit concerning the excessive oil consumption complaint in some 2.0T engines. The basic details are here. The engine code is a good indicator if this vehicle may be involved (engine code CAEB). It should be possible to identify the engine code using the VIN decoder here.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mikeyb128
    Then engine codes is also printed on the vehicles option sticker in the trunk under the carpet, stuck to the body. I really like audi, but unfortunately they had a bad run in that time span. I’ve replaced a lot of pistons and engines in those cars. I’ve installed used engines for customers, only to find the used engine burned just as much oil. Only a leak down will tell if the rings are toast or not.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• scubalab
    Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. Update on the status...

The seller is a Penn State student from China. We ended up postponing the inspection by my mechanic due to him starting classes this week. He has been communicating regularly with me about the issues he knows about, and I appreciate his transparency.

He has only owned the car for about a year and a half and has put around 4,000 miles on it. He claims it has a 100,000 mile extended powertrain warranty. He said he's been trying to get the local dealer to look further into the oil leak/loss, but isn't having much success. I know there's a little bit of a language barrier, but he seems knowledgeable about the car and the issues. So I'm wondering if the dealer is dismissing him hoping he'll just go away.

He mentioned something about wanting the dealer to check the 'weight' of the oil to see if there's any metal particles in it. I assume that would indicate problems with the rings. He said if the oil is 'heavy' they should fix or replace the engine, because according to him, others have had similar issues and Audi covered the repairs or replacement.

At this point, I told him to take his time, see if he could get it resolved. I said I don't want to take on that burden (as the third owner) on his word. He is going to research the warranty and see if he can get it taken care of. So, we agreed to stay in touch. I basically told him I'm not interested in purchasing the car and taking on the issues. So he's going to see what he can do, and if he gets it resolved with Audi or the dealer, get back in touch with me.

My thoughts are that if he gets the car fixed properly that I might reconsider purchasing if I can get it for a good enough price. I doubt it will happen, but if he gets a new engine (with the problems addressed) and I can still get it well under book value, I may consider. Otherwise, it's looking like I'm going to be putting this one behind me.
  • scubalab
    So, now I'm looking at other options. Obviously a used Lexus or Acura is high on the list. But @nooshinjohn has me really interested in the Jaguar XF. Yeah, the XFR is awesome, but not practical for me (RWD, gas guzzler).

Any thoughts on the XF? Looks like there are some pretty nicely decked out vehicles 3-4 years old with relatively low mileage priced around $20,000. AWD and decent fuel efficiency to boot!

I haven't done a ton of research, but it seems the engines are well regarded, however the electronics are the weak spot...

I've always loved the XF/XFR. Jaguar hit a home run with the body styling.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,555
    Audi really drags their feet on the whole engine fix thing.
    They do an extended oil use test before even moving to the next step.
    They will monitor the oil level for 500 miles. They consider a quart every
    1000 miles normal?!!!! Yeah, not going to cut it for me.
    My older son used to underwrite aftermarket extended warranties.
    Audi and Cadillac were both among the worst for claims.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Audi really drags their feet on the whole engine fix thing.
    They do an extended oil use test before even moving to the next step.
    They will monitor the oil level for 500 miles. They consider a quart every
    1000 miles normal?!!!! Yeah, not going to cut it for me.
    My older son used to underwrite aftermarket extended warranties.
    Audi and Cadillac were both among the worst for claims.

That's what I read as well. What BS!
  • Subaru did the same declaring one quart per 1000 miles as normal. Owners brought a class action suit against Subaru, in 2015 I believe it was. Anyway, they agreed to repair engines that failed the oil consumption test. My son's 2013 Forester that he bought used Subaru Certified pre-owned received a new engine.

Sometimes class action suits are successful.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kex
    It’s very unlikely he’ll get anywhere with Audi IMO... unless he’s got the benefit of a transferable extended CPO warranty or something (some of those do extend to 100K miles). The Class Action was limited to 8 years or 80K miles, so this vehicle does not appear to qualify.

From reading other reports, some dealers helped owners get repairs, others didn’t unless the oil consumption was even worse than a quart per 1K miles.

I find these stories amazing. It’s common to hear during Marketing that a happy customer, on average, tells one person, whereas an unhappy customer will tell ten people. Making a mistake is one thing, but doing such a bad job of fixing it will ruin your image for years. Everyone who has heard of it remembers that one time when you really mistreated your customers, and that becomes your reputation for a generation.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited August 2019
    Audi (at least in North America) has a rather extensive reputation of, shall we say, showing less than optimal respect for its customers :(

Remember?

https://www.autosafety.org/audi-sudden-acceleration/
  • charley95
    It's still a bad car even if Audi fixes the issues and you get it under book value. I'm so bored mostly driving my 14 RX and that's a good thing. If you want fun and unreliable buy a HellCat. The only good thing about that Audi is if you can flip it and make a buck. JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!
  • mikeyb128
    You may not find metal particles in the oil. I believe the issue is the oil control rings carbon to the piston.

Even if you did qualify, Audi wants you to have ALL of the maintenance records since it’s purchase.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• scubalab
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Even if you did qualify, Audi wants you to have ALL of the maintenance records since it’s purchase.

This is why I’m not even interested anymore. If the current owner can get something done I may consider it again, but it’s highly unlikely based on the advice I’ve gotten here.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    You mentioned wanting a convertible and you're a Toyota loyalist. How about a Solara? Basically a 2 door Camry with a drop top. Just a suggestion...
  • charley95
    If premature failure bothers you like it does me I'd find a more reliable brand. Trust me you'd regret this car in the long term.j0m7euna05va.jpg
    I've had this for a year and couldn't be happier and no problems yet.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    You mentioned wanting a convertible and you're a Toyota loyalist. How about a Solara? Basically a 2 door Camry with a drop top. Just a suggestion...

or howzabout a (vintage) MR2? :)

@scubalab mentioned earlier he wants something good for winter (in PA). I think he's looking for AWD.

In some seriousness, I remember there was a little 2-door (2-seat?) VW convertible/roadster thing that was a morph of the Audi TT? What were (are?) they like, vis-a-vis one that actually has the Auto Union four circles and sez "Audi" on it?

:|
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

or howzabout a (vintage) MR2? :)

I was gonna suggest something like that but not sure if a roadster fits his needs. If so, S2000, Miata or even a low mileage Vette or Mustang.
  • mhardy6647
    I think a Mustang'd be perfect -- albeit maybe not in the winter :)
  • scubalab
    Ken - yes, considered a Solara, but I think they stopped making them quite some time ago. And an S2000 is a dream roadster for me! That car was perfect in every way. Wish they still made them. But, having kids, I’d like something with a back seat that is at least a little roomy.

Charlie - is that the Lexus GS350 F-Sport? When they first came out they were only RWD, but newer versions have been front or all wheel drive, correct? My brother had an IS-250 for a couple years. And it was too small and uncomfortable for his liking. The GS is actually on the top of my list, but I can’t swing the cost of the F Sport!

Mark - yeah, something good in PA in the winter is preferred. So, AWD or FWD is a must. Yeah, not as fun as RWD, but won’t leave me stranded. I think the VW convertible is the Ero maybe? But I think I’d be up against the same reliability issues since they share a lot with the Audi’s.

Funny you mentioned Mustang. That’s actually what got me on the kick. Rented one for a week with my daughter in June in Southern California and rented another for a day a couple weeks ago in Texas. Only complaint about the Mustang was the very tight back seat and the poor wind diffusion for back seat passengers. Otherwise, we really liked it.
  • scubalab
    edited August 2019
    ... duplicate post
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2019
    I worked at the Audi, Porsce plant in Heilbronn Neckarsulm Germany for a while after I got out of the Army on a European out. If you can afford a new Audi then most would trade them in not long after the warranties would run out. Buying a used one means having spare change to repair them especially stateside.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • scubalab
    DSkip wrote: »
    Have you considered an Infiniti G37 convertible? You should be able to find one with AWD, the G37X.

Didn’t know the G37 convertible came in AWD. All I’ve ever seen were RWD. I’m not finding any G37x in a convertible.
  • charley95
    scubalab wrote: »
    Ken - yes, considered a Solara, but I think they stopped making them quite some time ago. And an S2000 is a dream roadster for me! That car was perfect in every way. Wish they still made them. But, having kids, I’d like something with a back seat that is at least a little roomy.

Charlie - is that the Lexus GS350 F-Sport? When they first came out they were only RWD, but newer versions have been front or all wheel drive, correct? My brother had an IS-250 for a couple years. And it was too small and uncomfortable for his liking. The GS is actually on the top of my list, but I can’t swing the cost of the F Sport!

Mark - yeah, something good in PA in the winter is preferred. So, AWD or FWD is a must. Yeah, not as fun as RWD, but won’t leave me stranded. I think the VW convertible is the Ero maybe? But I think I’d be up against the same reliability issues since they share a lot with the Audi’s.

Funny you mentioned Mustang. That’s actually what got me on the kick. Rented one for a week with my daughter in June in Southern California and rented another for a day a couple weeks ago in Texas. Only complaint about the Mustang was the very tight back seat and the poor wind diffusion for back seat passengers. Otherwise, we really liked it.

Yes. GS's only come in RWD or AWD. Mine is RWD. Love the styling of the IS but it's just too small for me. Maybe check the used market on them? Maybe a CPO so you could get some warranty with it.
  • Kex
    I don’t subscribe to this notion that it is possible to avoid problems by switching brand.

In 2015, Toyota was the subject of a Class Action over excessive oil consumption in 2007-2011 models that could result in engine failure. The repair cost was 2K-7K. It’s well documented on Toyota owner forums. To cover the cost of repair, Toyota required that the engine consume at least 1.2 quarts per 1K miles!

There were 400 NHTSA complaints for vehicle speed control with Toyota Camry vehicles in 2007. Those were well documented at the time. What might be less well known is that there were also well over 400 NHTSA complaints for engine issues.

A web-based complaints forum lists the 2007 Camry as one of the 20 most problematic vehicles, including over 500 complaints for excessive oil consumption or engine failure, and guess what: Toyota recommended that consumption of one quart per 1K miles is “normal”. Obviously, this shouldn't stop anyone buying a Camry, which has a hugely loyal consumer base for good reason.
    Alea jacta est!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2019
    Yet my 93 4 wheel drive Toyota 4X4 is still running, and the wife's 2005 Camray we sold to a friend is still running strong with 270,000 miles burns a little oil but it sure is rusted out. I think its hit and miss with all vehicles.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)