Any Audi Owners - Looking for Advice

Looking to pick the brains of the car gurus on the forum... I'd like to keep this on topic, so...

I'm looking to get my next vehicle as we're thinking of passing my 2010 Toyota Corolla (with 15x,**** miles) to my daughter when she gets her full license later this year. It's a good, reliable car that she's comfortable driving, and since I've had it for 7 years now, I'm ready for something new to me.

I am a Honda/Toyota (Acura/Lexus) loyalist, and having only owned those makes, have full faith in their quality/safety/reliability. As such, my first pick was going to be something in the used (2-3 year old) Lexus or Acura line. My wife has a Lexus RX450h that we really like, and will likely keep for her for another 2 years or so.

However, I found a fun little car locally that has piqued my interest - and it's not a car from a brand I've got experience with and come to trust. It's a 2011 Audi A5 Prestige (cabriolet) with 97,500 miles. I REALLY like it, but don't have much experience with Audis. It runs great, is very comfortable, very roomy (for a convertible), all wheel drive (winters in PA...), loaded with some incredible options, has a fantastic B&O sound system, and brand new brakes and run-flat tires all around.

The seller (second owner) was very honest and upfront and told me it does need the rear main seal replaced ($2,200 cost at the dealer). A little research tells me that this was a fairly common issue with that year 2.0T engine. When I test drove it, it did run smooth, and I would not have known there was an issue.

I have a trusted mechanic who is going to look at it Wednesday and give me his thoughts. I'm also looking for opinions from anyone who may own or have owned an Audi and if they are fairly reliable once that issue is addressed. I think I can get a really good deal on it if I do decide to purchase.

I know from a practical standpoint, I should just stick with Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura, but I'd like to own a 'fun' car for once! So, admittedly, I'm a little excited and already somewhat leaning one way. However I will take everything (opinions included) into consideration.

This would be a daily driver for work. I do a little traveling (100-200 mile trips a couple times a month) as well. I typically put around 15,000 - 17,000 miles a year on my car. This car is surprisingly solid, comfortable, and QUIET for a convertible, so I'm not concerned about the "rag-top" (you wouldn't know it was a convertible inside with the top up). And having rented a couple convertibles (and having owned a Jeep YJ for a bit), it would be nice to have that option for summers.

I know any used car is a 'gamble', but would like to get a couple/few years out of it without any further major issues. If I can get this for a good price (including the cost of the RMS repair and while that's being done, replace the PCV valve), is it worth consideration?

Fire away!

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Sounds to me that you are doing all the right things. You might ask your trusted mechanic if there are any local reputable independent mechanics who specialize in Audi (assuming that he does not). You may get gouged at the dealership, but you probably knew that.

I have no personal experience with Audi, but several friends love their late-models. I’m more skeptical of older ones, based on the experience of a relative, but the one you are looking is much newer.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Max, there are a couple "European Auto" mechanics locally (outside of the dealer). I've read that the RMS replacement cost should be in the range of $900-$1500, so yeah, the dealer is a bit high. Although, it's a nice bargaining chip (the $2,200 quote for repair).

I've read good and bad things. Most of the owner reviews are positive. Mechanics are more negative about Audi. My mechanic doesn't specialize in Audi, but said it should be simple enough provided he has (or can get) the right tools to do it.

My other concern (from what I've read and been told) is that the 2.0T engine (through 2011 or 2012) sometimes had issues with piston rings.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Our family had a 2010 Q7 that we bought in 2014-15 I think? low miles, Audi certified, etc. It was quiet, comfortable, quick, etc. mechanically sturdy car. like you said, nice stereo, great seats, etc.

And the list of things that broke in the two years we owned it... the AC fan twice, the sunroof cover 3 times, the sunroof once, door seals leaked a couple of times, the drivers seat controls twice, the passenger seat controls once, and then we fixed everything and sold it as fast as we could. We then replaced it with our (slightly) more reliable '06 Mercedes R350.

I only have experience with one model, and I haven't done any research into it or anything, but that is everything I remember breaking. Everything necessary to the function of the vehicle was bulletproof. Very reminiscent of out 2003 VW Passat.

Note, if I was you I'd take my thoughts relatively lightly, and believe other people who have more experience first. As I said, I've done no research, and I was 12-13 at the time. so, a grain of salt. :)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Simple. Are you willing to trade reliability and low repair costs for refinement and luxury?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2019
    I have a 2016 Audi with the V6. Their 2.0 Turbo had lots of problems in the 2011 era. I have had no problems with mine in the four years I have had it except for a couple of minor recalls. I still would not keep it above around 70K miles as a daily driver. If it's an S or RS model, those can be great as a second vehicle for performance reasons but not as a daily ride.

A new 2019 A5 Prestige convertible would run around $60K. A 2011 seems to be down around $10K. There is a reason depreciation is that steep. If mileage was closer to 50K on a daily driver Audi with the turbo 4 cylinder, I would be interested. Above that, things need maintenance and maintenance is expensive. Approaching 100K miles on an Audi is about end of life territory without a major investment to replace parts that are necessary to keep the car on the road. In that event it can’t be counted on as a daily driver.

Personally, I’d just buy a reliable Honda Accord coupe as a daily driver.
  • scubalab
    Great info so far! Emlyn, the price on the car I'm looking at is around 10k (seller would take 8k). I thought if I could get it for 6, put 2 into it, and have a 'fun' car for a couple years, I'd consider it. But, since it'll be a daily driver, I'd need reliability as well. Was hoping putting the investment into proper repairs would buy a couple years worth of reliability, but understand it's a gamble. With this at around 100k mileage, it might be best to walk away... :/

My 'cars' that I've owned were:

- 1995 Accord EX (1994-2005) bought new.
    - 1999 Camry LE V6 (2004-2012) bought with 75,000+/- miles
    - 2010 Corolla S (2012-present) bought with 60,000+/- miles

Also owned:

- 1990(?) Toyota pickup (bought used) - LOVED it! bulletproof 22RE engine!
    - 2004 4Runner (bought used)
    - 2005 CRV (bought new)
    - 2005 Odyssey (bought used)
    - 1994 Jeep YJ (FUN, but a money pit for the 1000 miles/year we drove it)
    - 2010 Lexus RX450h (bought used and still have).

So, I know the reliability of Toyotas and Hondas (as evidenced by my near 100% loyalty to the brands)! Just don't like the current Accords (boring). Also want something a little more luxury and/or fun. Another used Lexus might be the way to go...

Really want a convertible, but have to consider that we only get 3-4 months tops to really enjoy them around here. AWD would be a plus. So, might have to consider a Subaru...

Just wish the Audi wasn't so damn nice looking (and loaded/fun)...

icsijpsgxiwu.jpg
    88gcntax24p9.jpg
  • scubalab
    scubalab wrote: »
    I'm looking to get my next vehicle as we're thinking of passing my 2010 Toyota Corolla (with 15x,**** miles)

Just realized Vanilla *censors* it if you put three x's in a row. Freaking really?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Only lease a Audi so your repairs are under warranty. Then wash rinse, repeat.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Are you open to other ideas?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    Yeah, I’m leaning more towards passing (unless my mechanic tells me something better than I’m expecting).

John, I have lots of time, so I’m absolutely open to other ideas. Would like something somewhat fuel efficient, safe, reliable, and with a little more personality than the somewhat bland silver Toyotas I’ve had for the past 15 years. Something with a little luxury would be nice too. All my vehicles (except two) were pre-owned. Like that route to get more bang for the buck. CPO would be nice too. A convertible would be a nice bonus, but practically speaking probably not a great idea.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    The post from @Emlyn was rather sobering. I know a former restaurant/bar manager who bought 2013 S5 coupe and loves it. But it has the 333HP V-6, not the 4. If your mechanic tries to talk you out of it, listen.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, I’m leaning more towards passing (unless my mechanic tells me something better than I’m expecting).

John, I have lots of time, so I’m absolutely open to other ideas. Would like something somewhat fuel efficient, safe, reliable, and with a little more personality than the somewhat bland silver Toyotas I’ve had for the past 15 years. Something with a little luxury would be nice too. All my vehicles (except two) were pre-owned. Like that route to get more bang for the buck. CPO would be nice too. A convertible would be a nice bonus, but practically speaking probably not a great idea.

You could get a blue Toyota. Or go off the deep end entirely and get a red one.

B)

I replaced my silver RAV4 with a red Crosstrek. I'm a wild man.

speaking of which...
    How about a Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86? No ragtop, but kinda neat little cars.
  • Nightfall
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    How about a Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86? No ragtop, but kinda neat little cars.

Rear wheel drive and PA winters?

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2019
    ......so I’m absolutely open to other ideas.

For winter
    you-can-buy-the-sno-cat-dodge-ram-from-diesel-brothers.jpg

For summer

C26FHRuW8AEAbkQ.jpg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Max - I’ll definitely listen to my mechanic!

Mark - I like your logic on switching colors. I do also love the BRZ, but Josh is right, RWD and PA winters don’t go well together. And, I do want something with backseats.

Dan - that looks fuel efficient! :p But it’s not a convertible...

I’m liking the late model Acura TLX. Did that replace the TL?

John - whatcha got for me? Mid-engine Vette?
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    No offense but, I say NFW to a 90k mile Audi. At that stage with that car it will be an endless money pit. Backwards move IMO.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,872
    I’m liking the late model Acura TLX. Did that replace the TL? ...
    No, the TLX is an entry model Acura. Smaller and less upscale than the TL. They are described in some reviews as "bland" and not fun to drive. Nor is it as luxurious as an Audi IMO.
    Alea jacta est!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited August 2019
    Al, my father in law has had two Audi’s (both a4 Quattro turbos). He absolutely LOVED the cars but it seemed when one repair was needed, others soon followed. And they are EXPENSIVE!!! Electrical issues, turbo issues and clutch issues (first one was manual). He still thinks it the nicest driving and most fun car he has ever owned but swore to himself he would never own one again. He equated owning an Audi to owning a boat ;he is a lifetime boater and has a 46 foot cuisers express) - they’re both incredibly fun and bring you lots of joy but it will cost you big.

My brother has an s7 and that this is a rocket ship with luxury for days. Beautiful car with no issues at all to speak of.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted!!!!

If you’re open to other ideas and are willing to sacrifice some of the “luxury”, look at the Toyota Avalon’s. They are fun to drive, comfortable as heck and look nice to boot.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Kex wrote: »
    No, the TLX is an entry model Acura.

I think you're thinking of the ILX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3TGdquT2gQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFqFDbVI4g

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited August 2019
    jaguar XFR...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • scubalab
    No, the TLX is an entry model Acura. Smaller and less upscale than the TL. They are described in some reviews as "bland" and not fun to drive. Nor is it as luxurious as an Audi IMO.

Have to agree with Josh - the ILX is definitely lower end than the TLX. The videos he posted explain (somewhat) where the TLX came from. Seems that the ILX is a little lower end than the old TSX and the TLX is a little lower end than the TL?

Charlie - no offense taken! Looking for honest feedback/opinions.

Shawn - that’s been what I’m getting. Audi turbos are fun to drive, but potential money pits, especially with 6-figure mileage. The S7 though... man - BADA$$!

My parents have an older (06 I think) Avalon. Very luxurious and a pleasure to drive. But (and no offense to any Avalon owners) even the newer, more stylish models scream “retired couple” car to me... Maybe it’s just because pay parents are a retired couple and drive one...?

John, the Jaguar XFR is, in my opinion, one of the best looking Jags of that era. When I got my Corolla back in 2012, I seriously considered a new Hyundai Azera since it reminded me a lot of the XFR at 1/3 the price. It was a beautiful car, and pretty decked out. But I decided to go practical and get the plain-Jane Corolla for under 8k and not have a car payment!

Ideally,I’d like to find something 3-4 years old for under 20k.
  • Kex
    I have owned several German automobiles (still own two that are 12 & 13 years old), and have kept all of them up to 13 years, and 125,000 miles. None of mine are Audi, although two were VW, and none of them were sold because of mechanical problems or maintenance costs. A close family member has owned the 2.0T A4 Quattro from new, and a V6 Audi A4 Quattro from new. He is now on his third A4. The prior two were sold at 10 years because that's just his thing. HIs daughter might still be driving one of them.

These are my observations based on those experiences.
    • All of the Audis or VW's drove (or still drive) exactly like new, even at 125K.
    • None of these cars were ever serviced more than once per year (the recommended service interval is/was 13K or 10K, depending on the model, or twelve months).
    • Service bills ranged from $120-800 depending on the schedule (spark plugs etc.), excluding wear items like brake pads or rotors and also excluding tires.
    • There were no unexpected failures of anything electrical, such as door locks, power windows, power seats, a/c, blower motors, sunroof, or seals.
    • No transmissions were ever defective for any reason.
    • Tires were Michelin OEM, and last approximately 45-60K, matching the stated life of the tire.

So based on these observations, I would say that I consider the cars to be of expected reliability, but neither I nor the family member in question have ever owned a Toyota or Honda to compare.

I would not buy any German car, including VW or Audi unless:
    • The car has a full service history and all maintenance was carried out as required.
    • The car was never serviced at an express style service station (Jiffy Lube et. al.). The oil filters and oil specifications in particular must be observed, according to my research, or premature engine wear will occur.
    • The car was previously, and is also going to be, serviced at the dealer OR serviced by an independent mechanic who specializes in that brand AND who uses OEM parts. It's just asking for trouble otherwise, and without going into details, I've had experience in the past where a reputable independent made mistakes, carried out unnecessary work, or took too long on repairs to a VW because he didn't diagnose the issue correctly.
    • The correct grade of fuel has been used. For German cars that require premium, it is usually not optional, or you will induce engine knocking and other issues. Some will undoubtedly claim b/s on this, but I personally would not deviate from that unless you have a mechanic specialized with Audi who says otherwise. It's just not worth it, especially on an engine with almost 100K, and the Audi 2.0T is not very thirsty.

Other than that, I would add that my experience with the B&O sound system is very good. The 2.0T engine is very fun to drive IMO. It never lacks agility, even over a mountain pass, and with proper tires, handles very reassuringly in winter conditions (including said mountain pass). Things like heated seats, power mirrors and a/c work very well, even after 10 years. With the right service history and careful ownership, I would not personally hesitate to take the inevitable risk with a used vehicle. The Prestige models in particular tend to be bought by owners who don't have issues keeping things running in a proper state of repair.
    Alea jacta est!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Al,
    Have you looked at the Genesis offerings?
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Nightfall
    125,000 miles.

I think that's where people's opinions differ. 125k is just getting broke in to me. I know for a lot of people, though, that's where they start to look (or think about) for something else. To me reliable is 250-300k without touching the engine or transmission.

• Kex
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I think that's where people's opinions differ. 125k is just getting broke in to me. I know for a lot of people, though, that's where they start to look (or think about) for something else. To me reliable is 250-300k without touching the engine or transmission.
    Totally agree... the daily driver is currently 125K & 13 years old and we have no plans to change it.

Don’t know if I’d actually plan to go as far as 300K, but then again, I’ve never had the opportunity to. We’ve only ever changed vehicles because of size or opportunity. Then again, by the time this car gets to 200K, I’ll probably want to change because of newer technologies, or just to hand it over to the kids.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019
    Totally agree... the daily driver is currently 125K & 13 years old and we have no plans to change it.

Don’t know if I’d actually plan to go as far as 300K, but then again, I’ve never had the opportunity to. We’ve only ever changed vehicles because of size or opportunity. Then again, by the time this car gets to 200K, I’ll probably want to change because of newer technologies, or just to hand it over to the kids.

Maybe I'm weird but I like seeing how many miles I can get on an original motor and trans. I had a 91 Prelude with 4 wheel steering up to 360k when I gave it away to a single mom. Burned a quart of oil every 2-3 tanks of gas at that point but still ran good. CRX 325k. 90 Toyota Pickup V6 320k. I don't do enough highway driving to hit that magic 500 though. Accord and Tundra both had over a million. Toyota traded him for a new Tundra so they could pull it apart and look at it then display it I believe. That's a lot of driving.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

Maybe I'm weird but I like seeing how many miles I can get on an original motor and trans. I had a 91 Prelude with 4 wheel steering up to 360k when I gave it away to a single mom. Burned a quart of oil every 2-3 tanks of gas at that point but still ran good. CRX 325k. 90 Toyota Pickup V6 320k. I don't do enough highway driving to hit that magic 500 though. Accord and Tundra both had over a million. Toyota traded him for a new Tundra so they could pull it apart and look at it then display it I believe. That's a lot of driving.

Makes me miss my 92 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with the 22RE engine.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2019

I don't know if it was OE but mine had 31" tires, nothing crazy but pretty big for OE in the 90's, it was awesome off road just stock. A locking diff and a bit of a lift is all it really needed. I got to a lot of cool camping spots in the middle of nowhere in that truck. It's probably my most missed vehicle.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

I don't know if it was OE but mine had 31" tires, nothing crazy but pretty big for OE in the 90's, it was awesome off road just stock. A locking diff and a bit of a lift is all it really needed. I got to a lot of cool camping spots in the middle of nowhere in that truck. It's probably my most missed vehicle.

It was my first vehicle, passed from my grandpa. He passed before it was time and my uncle took horrible care of it.

It had an automatic transmission which went out. I had no funds for another car so my dad traded me for a Mazda 626...meh but it worked.

Ever since then I've been waiting to get another one but the price is high and so are the miles.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Kex
    No, the TLX is an entry model Acura.
    I think you're thinking of the ILX?
    Actually, I was thinking of the TSX ;) from when I test drove that model and a TL about ten years ago! Interior of the TSX was just awful (not really even entry level luxury IMO, and the TL was boring as hell).

@scubalab I agree about the Avalon, I’ve read many reviews stating how good the most recent iteration is, but it just looks like a Grandpa car to me every time I see one, and the drivers seem to drive it that way too :p
    Alea jacta est!