Pics of your craft

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2019
    So while in Michigan, I decided to make a career move, and move to automotive, away from my first love. At the time I had 3 little ones, and opted for a more secure industry (well at the time it was!). Aerospace, especially in the defense industry, goes through wild swings of feast and famine.

My CAD skills allowed me to switch fairly easily, as Unigraphics was being adopted by many automotive companies at the time.

My first project, I designed the frame and many other chassis components for fitting a 350 small block V8 into a Chevy S-10 pickup truck! What? Getting paid to design hot rods? This is gonna be fun!

Stock pic, modded by another company, as our program never made it into production!

1l0j4yjzasc8.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    After that, moved on to a really big program. Next gen full size pickup. And it's many variants. Heavy Duty, SUV's, Vans, Commercial Vehicles, you name it. Still designing chassis components (they called us chassis rats). Interesting footnote, this was originally a 1998 model, but then there was a strike. Strike? What's that? Welcome to the automotive biz! The strike was prolonged, and delayed production for a full year. Some of these variants are still in production today!
    ker25m1bq7at.png
    1xugab43oil7.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Zach Thank You for serving this great nation with you dedication and service.

Dave, I had a buddy with one of those S10’s. Scary machine to be sure. Didn’t matter what size rear tires it had, never had traction. But still would crucify other hot rods spinning all the way.

Did t your wife design part of my Silverado and Tahoe too?
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Zach Thank You for serving this great nation with you dedication and service.

Dave, I had a buddy with one of those S10’s. Scary machine to be sure. Didn’t matter what size rear tires it had, never had traction. But still would crucify other hot rods spinning all the way.

Did t your wife design part of my Silverado and Tahoe too?

She did! Your center console! 😀
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Thanks gents, while in some way I always feel uncomfortable when people thank me, I do genuinely appreciate the support
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • verb
    edited August 2019
    This was a fun project. Hummer H3. I designed a lot of the chassis components for this truck. Had a chance to spend a week at AM General's proving grounds, where I learned to properly drive a H1 over lots of different types of terrain. Rock crawling, water fording, loose terrain, etc. Loads of fun!

I had the pleasure of driving an H1 for about a month as a company vehicle during the winter. That baby was unstoppable!

Once in production, I actually bought an H3, same color! Wish I still had it!
    974a2u2daitk.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    This was a fun project. Hummer H3. I designed a lot of the chassis components for this truck. Had a chance to spend a week at AM General's proving grounds, where I learned to properly drive a H1 over lots of different types of terrain. Rock crawling, water fording, loose terrain, etc. Loads of fun!

Once in production, I actually bought one! Wish I still had it!

"Hummer" joke incoming in 3....2....1....
  • verb
    Pickup Truck variant of the H3T. Also and Alpha, which was a V8 equipped powerhouse. :) Those were the days ...
    1p16kavevxyh.png
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »

Once in production, I actually bought one! Wish I still had it!

"Hummer" joke incoming in 3....2....1....

Edited in time before Viking swoops in! :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    just espied this Someplace Else* and thought it somehow appropriate for this thread, too. :)

xreov8sysca9.png

* one of the 'subscriber forums' at AK :|
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/63-corvette-in-wind-tunnel.881398/

oh, and seein' those guys' couture reminded me of this*
    https://www.npr.org/2019/08/24/753962597/remembering-car-spy-photographer-jim-dunne

• verb
    Very cool! We do a lot of CFD on vehicle models nowadays. But, once we build, we use full size wind tunnels (climate controlled) to verify the analytical results.
  • mhardy6647
    @verb: I think that on Monday you should go to work dressed like the guy on the right.

:#
  • mhardy6647
    ... unless, of course, that's the way you always dress when you go to work!
    eziuurr9zcsv.png

• Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    @verb: I think that on Monday you should go to work dressed like the guy on the right.

:#

Stop making fun of Bill Nye the Corvette Guy!
  • Viking64
    Edited in time before Viking swoops in! :)

You still have the word "Hummer" and the phrase "loads of fun" in the same paragraph. My work is done here. :o
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2019
    Tech Support with a solar inverter manufacturer
    u1ujob86gf3e.jpg
    Currently I'm doing in-house phone duties. In the past, I've worked on the App. Engr. side doing commissioning, updates, inspections, repairs in the field. I got a chance to travel a little to solar systems around the country in Fl, VT, NH, PA, AL, TX, IN, IL, WI, MO, IA, AZ, CA, OR, UT. It was cool to visit some cities and states I've never been to.
    t8ykwzv5lh32.jpg
    3xauxos8ce9i.jpg

BONUS! I got a chance to jam with fellow co-workers at the Solar Battle of the Bands during the InterSolar trade show in San Francisco a couple of years. Not really a battle but solar company bands drinking, parting, and having a good time at the end of a long trade show. :)
    4pd5awgo84au.jpg
    jzl40a26ip7m.jpg
    6s5tpoe9ml21.jpg

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    I have to say -- I almost feel like I'm about to channel the easygoing, fun-loving spirit of @Viking64 right on up through my viscera when I read a line like...
    WLDock wrote: »
    I got a chance to travel a little to solar systems around the country in Fl, VT, NH, PA, AL, TX, IN, IL, WI, MO, IA, AZ, CA, OR, UT. ...

ahem.

;)

In seriousness, that's pretty cool stuff; both parts of @WLDock's post above! :)

4aevq0oefic2.png
  • verb
    While working on the H3 program, my colleague and I received a patent, although this feature never made it into production.
    p1pko0xnhsi0.png
  • WLDock
    Good catch, Space cadet... LOL! :D

....travel to service solar systems or PV Systems, Photovoltaic systems..... here on Earth. LOL!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    Good catch, Space cadet... LOL! :D

....travel to service solar systems or PV Systems, Photovoltaic systems..... here on Earth. LOL!

Yeah, I got that :) -- we've got our own solar system, too, albeit a little one up here in New England. :

27974237967_b90f44446f_h.jpgDSC_1532 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I’m the a$$hole babysitter of grown men that has to tell them to go back to work, to some I’m a ****..

“What” I can’t play on my phone while I’m at work? Well I will just sit in the bathroom for twenty minutes then...

“What” I can’t visit and talk with the other guys while my machine sits idle, and I slow their production down as well??

What kinda place am I working for? I thought this would be like junior high school..

This seriously happens all the time, and you’re the bad guy for calling them out on it..
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    You know it's bad when they need there phone charger at work.
  • WLDock
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, I got that :) -- we've got our own solar system, too, albeit a little one up here in New England. :

27974237967_b90f44446f_h.jpg

What a nice home you have there. That land looks to be in a nice quiet serene location. There's a ton of solar going up out that way. The picture I posted of the solar field was in Richmond, VT. That utility sized solar project sits on top of a landfill. I'd never been to the New England area but the job took me out there a few times. It's beautiful out there.

• Viking64
    The picture I posted of the solar field was in Richmond, VT.

I know exactly where that solar field is. Right off Governor Peck Road. I grew up in Williston, the next town over. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Dang that looks good Troy
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213

just espied this Someplace Else* and thought it somehow appropriate for this thread, too. :)

xreov8sysca9.png

That picture made me think back to this auto parts store from long ago with this cartoon guy as their mascot.

Forest_City_detail_2048x.jpg?v=1559220625
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    BDT wrote: »
    n89q4acrec2p.jpg
    dq04h95fv4t8.jpg

Aren't those for your Instagram account?
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Pictures customers took but do use them on my FB page...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    BDT wrote: »
    Pictures customers took but do use them on my FB page...

Those are beautiful pics....just sayin'...YuuummmY
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a