Polk Signature S60 vs Polk LSiM 705 for HT

Hi All, new to polk. Need help on deciding between speakers.

In the process of building my dedicated home theater room. Usage is 85% Movies 15% TV, 0% music.

Room is about 15x16 feet.

Aiming to do a 7.1.2 Atmos setup.

Need advice on what front towers to pick.

The Polk Signature S60 are on sale for $200 each right now

and the Polk LSiM 705 are on sale for $450 ea.

Both are well within my budget so i don't think price is a consideration between the two.

Which to pick and why? I am reading a lot that the 705's might only be good for music, not so much home theater and i know they are about 8 year old tech. The S60's are newer but might now be as capable?

OTHER INFO:

What i have so far:

2x Polk Audio 900-LS ceiling speakers
2x Polk Audio 265-LS rear surround speakers (will get 2 more for side surrounds eventually)

What considering buying still:

-AVR im thinking about is Denon X8500 or X6500
-External Sub (may not be polk)
-External Amp to pair with AVR if needed for more power
-85in 2020 Samsung Qled or LG OLED.

Thanks!

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    Being HT is the main use go with the S60. Use the money saved toward something else.

I am not sure of timbre matching and all that jazz.
    I do own a pair of S60's that I used for 2 channel music for awhile. Very capable speaker.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Yea not sure about timbre match either, Figure either S60 or LSIM should be okay with my LS ceiling and LS rear in walls.

May i ask why you feel S60 is better for HT?
  • motorhead43026
    edited August 2019
    For 500.00 bucks less its better. But it's your money. For mostly music I would recommend the 705. You can't go wrong with either.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The LSiM series is being discontinued, so if you want that series you better buy the mains and center now. They will timbre match your ceiling and surrounds better as they all use the same tweeter.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    edited August 2019
    ^^ there is your answer, timbre match.

• bostonvr6
    bostonvr6 Posts: 34
    edited August 2019
    Based on timbre match you are saying i should get the LSIMs. But based on Home Theater only usage get the S60s?

decisions decisions.....
  • Go with F1"s advice. Like I mentioned I know nothing about timbre matching.

• Go with F1"s advice. Like I mentioned I know nothing about timbre matching.

He basically just said get them cause they are being discontinued? Doesnt really mention if they one is better than the other for my purpose.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    The LSiM series is being discontinued, so if you want that series you better buy the mains and center now. They will timbre match your ceiling and surrounds better as they all use the same tweeter.

is the LSIM series good for Home Theater?
  • F1nut
    bostonvr6 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

is the LSIM series good for Home Theater?

Absolutely. You already have them for your ceiling and surrounds.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk, Since you already have LSiM in your ceiling then finish getting the rest of the series. They will be outstanding for both music and movies. Do plan on adding external amplification so that all your speakers operate to their full potential.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk, Since you already have LSiM in your ceiling then finish getting the rest of the series. They will be outstanding for both music and movies. Do plan on adding external amplification so that all your speakers operate to their full potential.

Thanks! I just needed some reassurance that the LSIM 705s made more sense for my HT application than the S60. Although surprised you didnt say S60 since your sig says you have them.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    @mrloren just made the move from s60s to the LSiM705s and sounds very happy with his upgrade.

all things considered the lsim are just far superior speakers and you are getting them for a fraction of the price.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Thanks! I just needed some reassurance that the LSIM 705s made more sense for my HT application than the S60. Although surprised you didnt say S60 since your sig says you have them.
    They do not make more sense, except that you already own speakers from the LS series, so in this case, it is better to match tweeters from the same series if possible. If you did not already own LS speakers, then the S60 would be a good choice because it would save you money, and be just as good as the more expensive LSiM mains for HT. The difference in price could have been better spent on a better subwoofer etc.

If music played a more prominent part in your listening, however, as @motorhead43026 already suggested, the LSiM would have been the more expensive, but ultimately, better choice.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    And the s60s are out of stock at Newegg and who knows if they will be that price again anytime soon...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Kex wrote: »
    They do not make more sense, except that you already own speakers from the LS series, so in this case, it is better to match tweeters from the same series if possible. If you did not already own LS speakers, then the S60 would be a good choice because it would save you money, and be just as good as the more expensive LSiM mains for HT. The difference in price could have been better spent on a better subwoofer etc.

If music played a more prominent part in your listening, however, as @motorhead43026 already suggested, the LSiM would have been the more expensive, but ultimately, better choice.

Ah okay. Thanks for the insight. So i almost cornered myself into getting the LSIM since i got the LS in wall in ceiling already. BUT LSIM705 is no worse than the S60 so i might as well go with the LSIM705, basically right? I think thats good enough of a thought process for me.

Thanks!

Anyone have thoughts on the LSIM706C vs LSIM704C center channel?

706C can be had for 389 right now, 704 seems to be 500+. I guess no brainer there?
  • Actually for the Centers the LSIM706c is 389 at adorama, and the LSIM704c is $375 directly from polk. I would still assume most would say go with the LSIM706C for the extra $15?
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Actually for the Centers the LSIM706c is 389 at adorama, and the LSIM704c is $375 directly from polk. I would still assume most would say go with the LSIM706C for the extra $15?
    Yes, definitely! For HT, it’s hard to beat a beefy center (especially voice matched from the same series).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I didn't have S60, but I did have S55's with a S30 center and the 705 and 704 center sound much better in HT and also music. I don't have a full HT setup, just a 3.1.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rooftop59
    Actually for the Centers the LSIM706c is 389 at adorama, and the LSIM704c is $375 directly from polk. I would still assume most would say go with the LSIM706C for the extra $15?

you can still go through slickdeals and get the 704 for $200 shipped, and its a really good center. If you can get the beefy center and a really good sub, then do both. But it the budget is limited, in this case I would consider getting the 704 and putting the extra $189 towards a big bad sub...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Congrats on your new speakers. When you do get them hooked up let us know what you think of them.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    cfrizz wrote: »

I would have recommended the S60s if you hadn't already had the LSiM's in your ceiling. So in the interest of having all the speakers voiced matched the LSiM's it is.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

I would have recommended the S60s if you hadn't already had the LSiM's in your ceiling. So in the interest of having all the speakers voiced matched the LSiM's it is.

Yea I got the LS ceiling and wall a while back. There weren’t too many good in walls options in a decent price range other than the polks. That’s what got my foot in the door with polks and now many months later getting the F/C/R.

Plus the signature series does have in wall or ceiling options I believe.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited August 2019
    Sorry I couldn't reply, was busy at work.

I had the S60 for over 2 years, They are a very nice speaker that are hard to beat for the price. I thought they were going to be the last speaker I ever purchased.

Then comes the Adorama sale on the LSiM. For some reason the wife agreed to letting me get them :)

with my RTi-8 wife said "oh speakers again". with the S60 wife said "they look better". With the LSiM-705 wife said "these look great and have a big sound to them". Kids like them too. My future son-inlaw is a classical music nut. They came over, I dropped in a SACD dude said "oh my" sat down and started listening.

My thoughts on the 705 vs the S60 is the 705 is a much better speaker. I am about 50/50 music/movies. These do very good with both. If I had to pay retail I'd get the S60. At these prices the 705 are the way to go.

Is there a reason for wanting the Denon 6500? It's a fine AVR but if you're already thinking of an amp go for a Marantz 7705 pre-amp then add a good amp.

Amp choices are all budget dependent. If you'r going 7.1.2 then a Monolith 9 or XPA9 would fit the bill, I'd go for the Monolith as it has more power to the surrounds.

I use an XPA 3 for my front 3 and drive everything else with my AVR-X4400H in my 5.1.4 setup.

Sub, if all you'r doing is HT then one or two HSU or SVS sub

BTW; the 706C is one big center speaker, plan for a lot of room for it. I had to get the 704C wife said no to me building a new TV stand. I've had 704C for the week + I don't miss the CSiA6 at all.

Welcome to club Polk, we will help you spend your money. In the end you'll be broke but have one nice system to listen to.

On last thing. the day you receive your speakers open them up to inspect them, make sure there is no shipping damage.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    For HT I have to agree with the LSiM suggestions. However, I feel simplicity succeeds and complexity fails. So, keep it simple with a 5.1 HT setup. That is all that is needed for a successful HT.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't reply, was busy at work.

I had the S60 for over 2 years, They are a very nice speaker that are hard to beat for the price. I thought they were going to be the last speaker I ever purchased.

Then comes the Adorama sale on the LSiM. For some reason the wife agreed to letting me get them :)

with my RTi-8 wife said "oh speakers again". with the S60 wife said "they look better". With the LSiM-705 wife said "these look great and have a big sound to them". Kids like them too. My future son-inlaw is a classical music nut. They came over, I dropped in a SACD dude said "oh my" sat down and started listening.

My thoughts on the 705 vs the S60 is the 705 is a much better speaker. I am about 50/50 music/movies. These do very good with both. If I had to pay retail I'd get the S60. At these prices the 705 are the way to go.

Is there a reason for wanting the Denon 6500? It's a fine AVR but if you're already thinking of an amp go for a Marantz 7705 pre-amp then add a good amp.

Amp choices are all budget dependent. If you'r going 7.1.2 then a Monolith 9 or XPA9 would fit the bill, I'd go for the Monolith as it has more power to the surrounds.

I use an XPA 3 for my front 3 and drive everything else with my AVR-X4400H in my 5.1.4 setup.

Sub, if all you'r doing is HT then one or two HSU or SVS sub

BTW; the 706C is one big center speaker, plan for a lot of room for it. I had to get the 704C wife said no to me building a new TV stand. I've had 704C for the week + I don't miss the CSiA6 at all.

Welcome to club Polk, we will help you spend your money. In the end you'll be broke but have one nice system to listen to.

On last thing. the day you receive your speakers open them up to inspect them, make sure there is no shipping damage.

thanks for the info. I’ll look into your amp and preamp suggestions. The reason I was thinking Denon x6500 was 1. It has good video processing and potential for hdmi 2.1 upgrade 2. Not too many good avr’s that can handle the 9 channels I need. 3. If I do an external amp for the L/C/R then the x6500 should be enough to power the 4 remaining surrounds and 2 ceiling speakers as they generally don’t need to get pushed as hard. This would allow me to save money by only needing to buy a 3 channel external amp rather than 9. This is all theory of course, I still need to educate myself on power, amps, pre-amps, etc etc.

Thanks for input on 706c size. I’ll go read the specs and measure before it ships.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    How many more posts before you put up some photos of your VR6?
  • F1nut
    BlueFox wrote: »
    However, I feel simplicity succeeds and complexity fails. So, keep it simple with a 5.1 HT setup. That is all that is needed for a successful HT.

Wise words!!!

President of Club Polk