Crown XLS 1502 - is it enough to power RTiA9s?

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited August 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That's it, I'm selling my B&K and getting a Crown.

Dibs!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    fastz28 wrote: »
    BEFORE i KNEW WHAT i KNEW, i WENT WITH A pRO AMP. nOW i KNOW WHAT i KNOW, AND i GOT A GOOD AUDIOPHILE AMP, AND NO LOOKING BACK ANYMORE

Do you know how a caps lock key works. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    BEFORE i KNEW WHAT i KNEW, i WENT WITH A pRO AMP. nOW i KNOW WHAT i KNOW, AND i GOT A GOOD AUDIOPHILE AMP, AND NO LOOKING BACK ANYMORE

Thanks. Now everybody's ears are ringing. :/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2019
    BlueFox wrote: »

He does -- and he's not a believer in absolute polarity.

;)
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

He does -- and he's not a believer in absolute polarity.

;)

i AGREE.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited August 2019
    To the OP..........Summing things up a Crown XLS 1502 has more than enough power to run the RTiA9s. It almost doubles down from 8ohms to 4 and it is listed as being able to drive 2 ohm speakers. But as you can see a lot of people here don't like pro amps in general (even though I doubt they even heard your exact model). They all have big bucks "audiophile" systems and think you should too. There is nothing wrong with getting the best eventually and if you continue the hobby you might get there too. But for now you need to put the advice in context. A lot of people here spent more on one speaker cable or power cord than you budgeted for your amp.

Since the OP's original question seems to have been answered (and the thread has turned into a pissing contest) lets try and help him out.............The Crown XLS1502 sells for $440 shipped on Amazon. What other $440 amplifiers would sound better and have enough power?
  • Viking64
    delkal wrote: »
    To the OP..........Summing things up a Crown XLS 1502 as more than enough power to run the RTiA9s. It almost doubles down from 8ohms to 4 and it is listed as being able to drive 2 ohm speakers. But as you can see a lot of people here don't like pro amps in general (even though I doubt they even heard your exact model). They all have big bucks "audiophile" components and think you should too. Since the OP's original question seems to have been answered (and the thread has turned into a pissing contest) lets try and help him out...........

The Crown XLS1502 sells for $440 shipped on Amazon. What other $440 amplifiers would sound better and have enough power?

Hey!!! Hey!!! Hey!!! You can't say "pissing" here!!!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Viking64 wrote: »
    To the OP..........Summing things up a Crown XLS 1502 as more than enough power to run the RTiA9s. It almost doubles down from 8ohms to 4 and it is listed as being able to drive 2 ohm speakers. But as you can see a lot of people here don't like pro amps in general (even though I doubt they even heard your exact model). They all have big bucks "audiophile" components and think you should too. Since the OP's original question seems to have been answered (and the thread has turned into a pissing contest) lets try and help him out...........

The Crown XLS1502 sells for $440 shipped on Amazon. What other $440 amplifiers would sound better and have enough power?

I was being polite. My original though was this thread turned into something else.

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2019

And that's what you call irony.
    It's like anti-tautology.

PS I prefer micturition contest. Let me clarify that: not the contest itself (!), but rather the term. :|
  • Viking64
    I was being polite. My original though was this thread turned into something else.

Does that "something else" include the words "donkey", "canoe", and "mayonnaise"?
  • Viking64
    And that's what you call irony.
    It's like anti-tautology.

PS I prefer micturition contest. Let me clarify that: not the contest itself (!), but rather the term. :|

Was that a micturition contest on a rug that "really pulled the room together"?
  • mhardy6647

Does that "something else" include the words "donkey", "canoe", and "mayonnaise"?

or perhaps these guaranteed funny words & concepts?

an13pq5c1mik.png

or even these?

https://youtu.be/F7rELSaKhkE
  • Viking64
    or perhaps these guaranteed funny words & concepts?

or even these?

I would be remiss in my duties, etc., etc., etc......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gm29WZpBJc
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Okay two actual responses to the question.

1. Everything in the chain matters: source, cables, preamp, cables, power amp, cables, speakers. I would say that most here would agree that cables are less important than the “big” four, but everything in the chain colors the sound to some extent. There is no neutral anything...
    2. If you think all power amps with the same specs sound the same, then as has been said, why are you asking? Buy what you want and by happy. I think all IPAs with the same ABV and IBUs taste the same, so I say screw that microbrew crap and give me the cheapest s#!t you have! Oh the ingredients are different you say? No matter, I get drunk just the same!

As for the question above about a comparable amp for $440, no, there is no NEW amp that can compete with the power at that price. That’s why I always say go used. If you’re patient you can get a parasound HCA-1200 or 1500 in good condition for that price. And it won’t sound like nails on a chalkboard...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Okay two actual responses to the question.

1. Everything in the chain matters: source, cables, preamp, cables, power amp, cables, speakers. I would say that most here would agree that cables are less important than the “big” four, but everything in the chain colors the sound to some extent. There is no neutral anything...
    2. If you think all power amps with the same specs sound the same, then as has been said, why are you asking? Buy what you want and by happy. I think all IPAs with the same ABV and IBUs taste the same, so I say screw that microbrew crap and give me the cheapest s#!t you have! Oh the ingredients are different you say? No matter, I get drunk just the same!

As for the question above about a comparable amp for $440, no, there is no NEW amp that can compete with the power at that price. That’s why I always say go used. If you’re patient you can get a parasound HCA-1200 or 1500 in good condition for that price. And it won’t sound like nails on a chalkboard...

Thanks for the feedback. I’m still at the early stages of this journey.

If I’m listening to music, source is usually a FLAC or WAV and MP3 (my early days) from my Fiio X1 media player connected to the analog input into the receiver. All my rca cables are amazon basics (because they look nicer than the dollar store ones). I currently don’t have a pre-amp (haven’t looked into if I really need one). From the receiver’s pre-out to the power amp to the speakers.

Parasound is not easily available in the used market in Toronto, Canada. I usually see Brystons or Rotels but the pricing on these sometimes 15 to 20 yr old units are $800CAD or more. It’s a bit insane.

Crown 2 series was interesting option since they mentioned that input sensitivity could be changed to .775Vrms but their own site says it’s recommended for PA systems. The power will be there but from what most people say, the sound quality may/will be lacking.

Currently doing more research on the Emotiva XPA-2 and keeping my eyes on canuckaudiomart and Kijiji. Hopefully something pans out in the near future.
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    I currently don’t have a pre-amp (haven’t looked into if I really need one).

Meant to say a dedicated pre-amp outside of my receiver.
  • What about Anthem a home grown product?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Having read this entire thred, me tinks I be getten dummer and dummer wit evry pust. me stinks its tym to fuggetaboatit ans goes to bed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Thanks. Will add to the list. Seems like there’s more reasonable availability with Anthem.
  • F1nut wrote: »

Too many options to take a drink, there’s a river, a pond, a trough... probably the reason the horse died of dehydration - too many choices. Analysis paralysis.
  • My friend is encouraging me just to “take the plunge”. If I don’t like it, just resell the gear and move on to the next.

Good advice but for someone on a budget. Hard to take.

Thanks. Will add to the list. Seems like there’s more reasonable availability with Anthem.

Most I saw were 125w per channel. Would that be enough?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The quality of the watts far outweighs the quantity of watts.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590

I got 2 of em, make me an offer.... :D

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    oldrocker wrote: »

I got 2 of em, make me an offer.... :D

175 for both :)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    F1nut wrote: »

Actually you can......you lead the horse to water, then you give him salt!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Is waterboarding on the table or?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk