Focal JM Lab Mezzo Utopia modification

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    Since the maker of diffraction be gone is no more (i guess) 0 I tracked down a similar felt sold by Grainger...

The Mezzo utopia has 2 diffraction points on the tweeter baffle where the aluminum meets the wood. There is a small lip, maybe 1/32" of an inch... I placed a 1.5" wide piece of felt at this break on each side and the difference was what I recall diffraction be gone doing. The high end really cleaned up, well worth the $10

dont worry Jody, Ill include some in your box of goodies to play with! haha
    Looking forward to my goody bag!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited July 2019
    The biggest surprise of this modification came in the bass and midbass, before I had good bass but it wasn't chest thumping and bass drums were weak. After the mod, I can feel the kick drum into the sofa, nice chest thump and it digs ultra low. The bass is also very clean and refined, tons of textures and highly detailed like before, just much more impact.

The highs are more discerning than before, meaning they do reveal more of a recordings flaws but still maintains an enjoyable timbre...

The midrange has been lacking the past month where as before that was a strong suit... I can say after about 3 hours of listening with the CMR in place, that is no longer the case. The mids are awake! Only 247 more hours of burn in to go!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited July 2019
    With all of those easily heard improvements, it's kindof a shame that more manufacturers don't put this same kind of attention into the crossovers that you do. Clearly there are huge gains to be had by performing these types of modifications. Good for you that you have the skill and technical prowess to be able to flawlessly execute them!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Clipdat wrote: »
    With all of those easily heard improvements, it's kindof a shame that more manufacturers don't put this same kind of attention into the crossovers that you do. Clearly there are huge gains to be had by performing these types of modifications. Good for you that you have the skill and technical prowess to be able to flawlessly execute them!

It's easy to understand why. one word …. Cost.
  • VR3
    Thank you and yes, cost and labor for sure.

I have probably 100 hours of labor and a chunk of money but it is worth it. I bought them used so my overall number invested is within my threshold for speakers.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    As I understand it, you didn’t change the formula for the crossover, just swapped the caps for like and kind correct?
  • VR3
    Correct, I dont deviate from schematics unless the finished sound needs some tailoring, IE: adjusting values a little hear to reduce output of the tweeter and so forth.

But everything selected and used was geared towards voicing the final sound.
  • VR3
    edited July 2019
    Here is everything performed -

Enclosure -
    Removed stock padding and replaced with No Rez

Internal wiring -
    Tweeter input and output wiring - Supra Quadrax
    Midrange and Woofer Input wiring - DH Labs Q-10/T-14
    Midrange jumper wiring - DH Labs T-14
    Midrange and woofer output wiring - Supra Quadrax

Connections -
    WBT Top Line binding post and Neutrik NL4 (parallel)

Tweeter -
    Clarity Cap CMR Capacitors
    Path Audio Resistors
    Jantzen Inductors

Midrange -
    Clarity Cap CMR Capacitors
    Path Audio Resistors
    Mundorf and Jantzen Inductors

Woofer -
    Clarity Cap ESA Capacitors
    Path Audio Resistors
    Mundorf and Jantzen Inductors

Separate Notes -
    Lexan substrate, isolated from enclosure with nylon spacers
    Point to point wiring
    Custom made aluminum input terminal plate
    Direct soldered connections at all joints
    New replacement tweeter diaphragm from Focal
    Minimum distance output and input wiring for all drivers
    Diffraction pads added to tweeter baffle
  • joecoulson
    If I may, labor aside, how much added in cost to the towers with the above?
  • VR3
    edited July 2019
    Parts were around 3500 retail
  • jdjohn
    I look forward to hearing them at Joe's meet in Sept :p I'm not sure I'll be done with mine by then.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    Hah haaa. Not likely. I dropped way to much on this DAC. Back in pause for a while.
  • jdjohn
    I meant that Trey might bring his for everyone to hear...cuz ya know, they're so easy to transport :)
  • joecoulson
    Wow OK yeah, I don't have a loading dock at the house Jody..
  • VR3
    LOL

Let's just say I bought collapsing Hand trucks just for these bad boys... No small feat to move!
  • VR3
    edited July 2019
    So after spending more time with the fully modded Utopias, I ordered 2 pairs of resistors to adjust the tweeter circuit. I believe with my design reducing the wire in the tweeter chain by 8 ft has reduced the balance here.

One pair is half ohm more and the other pair is 1 ohm more over stock values.

Shouldn't take to much to draw it back in.

The midrange though is much more open that before with the stock caps, incredible weight and texture
  • VR3
    edited July 2019
    An additional 1 ohm is very sweet, kind of regret ordering the. 5 increase, oh well, ultimately increased the 1.2 to a 2.2
  • jdjohn
    Uh-hem...should I make a supplemental resistor order???
  • VR3
    I would wait until you are done, I believe part of it was because of the new tweeter diaphragm on top of the shorter wire runs
  • VR3
    edited July 2019
    Man, the 1 ohm increase is simply perfect, even removed the washers I was using for tilt to direct the tweeter upwards.

I could see if you wanted a warmer sound, even a 2.7 would work without throwing off the balance.

Post edited by VR3 on
  • VR3
    I've probably put 10 or so hours on the rig since my last post.

Still digging the extra 1 ohm on the tweeter, have contemplated on some sittings perhaps an additional half ohm increase could be a tad better for a total of 1.5 over stock

I am starting to think that the new diaphragm focal sells for this model is not quite the drop in replacement they advertise. Maybe for some people, haha.

The imaging is off the charts however, full extension 5 or 6 feet to either side of each speaker, about a 20 ft wide stage, 8 ft height and full usage of front to back with great depth.

• VR3
    So, I finally came to a conclusion that I can not officially test just yet.

I have been hearing a resonance at the lower tweeter crossover point and around 10-12khz... at higher volumes it is really noticeable.

I finally have landed on the only drastically different variable is the new diaphragm from Focal. The original tweeter is a titanium dome with a coating that, uh huh, reduces resonances known for titanium domes... (haha) This coating is actually pretty thick too as it makes the dome appear smooth versus a grid pattern.

I have owned these speakers for 2 years and the Wilsons sported the same dome... not once have I had this problem...

So... will have to reinstall the old domes and I will hunt down some extras! :)
  • jdjohn
    I will resist the urge to replace my tweeters ;)
  • VR3
    ran some frequency sweeps -

The original coated domes are relatively flat +/- 3db from 2khz to 15khz and then they kind of spike upwards to 20khz (same as what stereophile shows). The roll off down to 700hz is very gradual and clean

The new replacement dome has a 5-6db hump at 4-6khz and 7 to 8db hump from 10khz to 14khz - huge difference. Nasty lower roll off compared to original.
  • jdjohn
    Very interesting, Trey. If using the original tweets, do you think the felt strips for diffusion are still necessary?
  • VR3
    I havent hooked them back up to the speaker yet, just ran them separate up to my tester. Since everything was soldered I had to redo the main connection. Will have them back up and running by the end of the week. Given that I never felt the need for them prior to the new domes, I would say the answer is no. But I will say that the strips do make a difference.
  • VR3
    Reinstalled the old diaphragms... The difference is so immediate, I am wondering if they sent me the wrong tweeters
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    VR3 wrote: »
    Reinstalled the old diaphragms... The difference is so immediate, I am wondering if they sent me the wrong tweeters

Are these directly from Focal? I haven’t measured my tweeters, but the break in was terribly long on my Electra’s, as well as a few pairs of Arias. The Electra’s smoothed out in the 3-400 hour range, Or I lost some hearing hahaha
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• VR3
    edited August 2019
    Yes, ordered direct from Focal.

I had about 100 hours on them. It is not that they sounded "bad" but they were "bright" and I kept picking up on a nasal sound on vocals and a "splash" sound (incoherent mess) in the upper highs, all of which I attributed to resonance at higher volumes or diffraction. At medium to low volumes they sounded normal, but they definitely lost their composure when cranked.

The old domes still lean towards the bright side but they are very controlled and forgiving while remaining detailed enough to be enjoyable. I hope that makes sense.
  • VR3
    So, I can say for certain I am done for a long while. After owning these for 2 years and doing these upgrades, there's nothing I can buy in my price range that would be an improvement, only different.

They sound excellent, the old domes are such great tweeters, imo.

@jdjohn need to modify yours asap! I did like a 2. 2 ohm on the tweeter versus a 1.2, fwiw