A McIntosh in Verb's House!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I get this email first, ok common ground, that's good, but what about bridged monoblocks? :smile:

Hi David,

Yes, the MC300 unit is a common ground amp. Below is a picture of the back panel of the unit. You see there are various taps depending on which ohm speaker you have as well as a negative terminal called “ground”.

yxmm344pet5l.png

Jordan Smith McIntosh Tech Support

dn2w9rrfjwtx.png

McIntosh Labs
    2 Chambers St
    Binghamton NY, 13903

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    About 5 minutes later, I get this email, from one of the technicians that was cc'd on the original response:

Hi David,

The MC300 is common ground and it is fine to use one in Stereo mode into SDA’s.

However, if you bridge a pair, they are of course separate units and so there is no common ground between to 2 amps. This certainly will not work with the SDA’s.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh, Wadia, and Snell Tech Support

ukd3yhdkjpfb.png

McIntosh Labs
    2 Chambers St
    Binghamton NY, 13903
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So the bottom line, from what I've learned (thank you all for your comments) without an A1 or even better, a Dreadnaught, my SDA's cannot be driven with monoblock amps!

Of course, I have the blade/blade IC, of which IIRC that version is incompatible with either. I wonder if that holds true for any older (non pin/blade) set of SDA's? What to do now? Well, as most of you know, it's a journey! :smile: Lot's of options out there!
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Chuck is very knowledgeable about the combo. He’s been there a while. I f you’v Got money to spend, the newest iteration of the 300 wpc amp has way more headroom than the 300 or the 302. Largest amp that will work with the b/b sda’s. I have heard almost 600 at peaks. I saw the test but can’t locate now.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • verb
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Chuck is very knowledgeable about the combo. He’s been there a while. I f you’v Got money to spend, the newest iteration of the 300 wpc amp has way more headroom than the 300 or the 302. Largest amp that will work with the b/b sda’s. I have heard almost 600 at peaks. I saw the test but can’t locate now.

Loving my MC300 for sure! And, now I've got 2 of em! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Loving my MC300 for sure! And, now I've got 2 of em! :smile:

HOARDER!!!!!!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Try the vertical biamping then now that you have two.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Wow! That’s cool! Price is right too! Oh God, you got me thinking! :smile:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Thinking gets me in a lot of trouble....
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2019
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Wow! That’s cool! Price is right too! Oh God, you got me thinking! :smile:

Balanced inputs and bridgeable if you feel the need for 1200+ wpc. That is a fair price imo as the 2600's do not come up often like the earlier 2300's and 2500's. The MR80 they have listed is a spectacular tuner which also is fairly priced. I'm glad that place isn't local to me.
  • verb
    Operation McIntosh is a success! Package delivered this afternoon, our son who is home signed for it, and put it safely in the basement! :wink: Been a crazy week so far, I'll open it up over the weekend! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    At least pop open the box right away to check for damage, even if you can't get to hooking it up until the weekend.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    At least pop open the box right away to check for damage, even if you can't get to hooking it up until the weekend.

Ugh, your right of course! :smile:
  • verb
    So thanks Drew you made me strain my back a bit! :smile: Unpacked, from an original MC302 double box including the pallet. 3" foam slabs throughout. Everything looks clean! No obvious signs of damage.
    u25u9eovhuf1.png
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    NICE!!! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice amp set up Dave.
  • verb

Interesting. Hadn't really thought about that.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042

I wonder if vertical is safe to do without the dreadnaught in place? With a different amp on each speaker I'm thinking it's taking the chance of one amp "seeing" the other with the sda connector in place.
    I've done horizontal on my 2.3s in the past with no transformer and no problems. But it was done without an active crossover so there were no appreciable gains.
  • https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bi-amping-horizontal-or-vertical/

I was actually thinking of horizontal bi-amping. I always get those two mixed up.
  • We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    :D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    It's an amp it has perty lights, it's heavy and it get freaking LOUD.....

how's that? B)
  • verb
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review

Patience grasshopper! :smile:
  • verb
    https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bi-amping-horizontal-or-vertical/

I was actually thinking of horizontal bi-amping. I always get those two mixed up.

I, did not know, there was a distinction! :smile:
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    This is probably a pretty stupid idea... but couldn't you just simply run a wire from the chassis of each amp? I can't come up with anything obvious that would make this not work, and if there is a wire connecting the two they will be common ground will the not?

Feel free to tell me why I am wrong. ;)
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    I'd run that past the manufacture for sure before attempting .. I know with the sunfire signatures that this can't be done..or as they said "they don't recommend it"
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review

Patience grasshopper! :smile:

In other words "Forget it. You'll never see one..."
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    steveinaz wrote: »
    It's not that I lie to my wife about equipment cost, it's just that I tell her what I think it should have cost. I think that's a fair compromise.

Hopefully once you leave this earth she won't sell it for what you told her it cost? I am in the same dingy as you Steve.
    [