A McIntosh in Verb's House!

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 7,368
    monepolk wrote: »

Thanks for the link! My SRS’s are blade/blade, but I’ll confirm the production numbers.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Dont run them bridged without the dreadnaught

Yep. Hopefully McIntosh comes back with good news.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,484
    What news would you be looking for?
    Unless you rebuild the crossovers and set them up for the dreadnought, you will not be able to run these bridged.
    You should be able to vertically bi-amp your speakers with them though.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 634
    Thought you might like this one with history. $950 and owned by the drummer of band "The Younguns" out of Atlanta.

o5fvbia3espq.jpg

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/duluth-vintage-mcintosh-mc2100/6942217581.html
  • sbb2112sbb2112 Posts: 109
    I have an MC300 amp and the same blade/blade SRS's. The MC300 is common ground in itself but a dreadnaught won't change the fact that the SRS's are not compatible with bridged or monoblock operation. The pin/blade SRS's crossovers allow this with a dreadnaught but not the original SRS's. You could frankenstein the crossovers to get this to work but the drivers are wrong for the P/B versions. I spoke with McIntosh about this subject as I had the same thoughts but realized the dna wasn't there. I had trey build me a set of crossovers for the B/B version and they sound great. Just never going to be able to go there with them. The 300 will drive the speakers quite well as is. I am considering working on the subwoofer angle to get more and better sound and reduce the load on the whole. If I come across a set of 1.2's or TL version, that could change.
    Main System

Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    Bose 151 ceiling surrounds
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    5TB usb media storage disk
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K

Office System
    Mcintosh MX132 processor
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Microrendu w/ Dayton DAC01
    Roku Ultra
    2TB usb media storage disk

Polk CS400i center channel -in storage
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    I have an MC300 amp and the same blade/blade SRS's. The MC300 is common ground in itself but a dreadnaught won't change the fact that the SRS's are not compatible with bridged or monoblock operation. The pin/blade SRS's crossovers allow this with a dreadnaught but not the original SRS's. You could frankenstein the crossovers to get this to work but the drivers are wrong for the P/B versions. I spoke with McIntosh about this subject as I had the same thoughts but realized the dna wasn't there. I had trey build me a set of crossovers for the B/B version and they sound great. Just never going to be able to go there with them. The 300 will drive the speakers quite well as is. I am considering working on the subwoofer angle to get more and better sound and reduce the load on the whole. If I come across a set of 1.2's or TL version, that could change.

Good to know we have another MC300 lover amongst us! I did get some responses from McIntosh, affirming your comments.
    I get this email first, ok common ground, that's good, but what about bridged monoblocks? :smile:

Hi David,

Yes, the MC300 unit is a common ground amp. Below is a picture of the back panel of the unit. You see there are various taps depending on which ohm speaker you have as well as a negative terminal called “ground”.

yxmm344pet5l.png

Jordan Smith McIntosh Tech Support

dn2w9rrfjwtx.png

McIntosh Labs
    2 Chambers St
    Binghamton NY, 13903

About 5 minutes later, I get this email, from one of the technicians that was cc'd on the original response:

Hi David,

The MC300 is common ground and it is fine to use one in Stereo mode into SDA’s.

However, if you bridge a pair, they are of course separate units and so there is no common ground between to 2 amps. This certainly will not work with the SDA’s.

Chuck Hinton of McIntosh, Wadia, and Snell Tech Support

ukd3yhdkjpfb.png

McIntosh Labs
    2 Chambers St
    Binghamton NY, 13903
    So the bottom line, from what I've learned (thank you all for your comments) without an A1 or even better, a Dreadnaught, my SDA's cannot be driven with monoblock amps!

Of course, I have the blade/blade IC, of which IIRC that version is incompatible with either. I wonder if that holds true for any older (non pin/blade) set of SDA's? What to do now? Well, as most of you know, it's a journey! :smile: Lot's of options out there!
  • sbb2112sbb2112 Posts: 109
    Chuck is very knowledgeable about the combo. He’s been there a while. I f you’v Got money to spend, the newest iteration of the 300 wpc amp has way more headroom than the 300 or the 302. Largest amp that will work with the b/b sda’s. I have heard almost 600 at peaks. I saw the test but can’t locate now.
    Main System

Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    Bose 151 ceiling surrounds
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    5TB usb media storage disk
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K

Office System
    Mcintosh MX132 processor
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Microrendu w/ Dayton DAC01
    Roku Ultra
    2TB usb media storage disk

Polk CS400i center channel -in storage
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Chuck is very knowledgeable about the combo. He’s been there a while. I f you’v Got money to spend, the newest iteration of the 300 wpc amp has way more headroom than the 300 or the 302. Largest amp that will work with the b/b sda’s. I have heard almost 600 at peaks. I saw the test but can’t locate now.

Loving my MC300 for sure! And, now I've got 2 of em! :smile:
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,126
    verb wrote: »
    Loving my MC300 for sure! And, now I've got 2 of em! :smile:

HOARDER!!!!!!
    Try the vertical biamping then now that you have two.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,866
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Wow! That’s cool! Price is right too! Oh God, you got me thinking! :smile:
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,866
    Thinking gets me in a lot of trouble....
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,292
    edited July 31
    verb wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Wow! That’s cool! Price is right too! Oh God, you got me thinking! :smile:

Balanced inputs and bridgeable if you feel the need for 1200+ wpc. That is a fair price imo as the 2600's do not come up often like the earlier 2300's and 2500's. The MR80 they have listed is a spectacular tuner which also is fairly priced. I'm glad that place isn't local to me.
    Operation McIntosh is a success! Package delivered this afternoon, our son who is home signed for it, and put it safely in the basement! :wink: Been a crazy week so far, I'll open it up over the weekend! :smile:
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,082
    At least pop open the box right away to check for damage, even if you can't get to hooking it up until the weekend.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • maxwardmaxward Posts: 366
    Good idea!
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
    Clipdat wrote: »
    At least pop open the box right away to check for damage, even if you can't get to hooking it up until the weekend.

Ugh, your right of course! :smile:
    So thanks Drew you made me strain my back a bit! :smile: Unpacked, from an original MC302 double box including the pallet. 3" foam slabs throughout. Everything looks clean! No obvious signs of damage.
    u25u9eovhuf1.png
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,281
    NICE!!! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,276
    Very nice amp set up Dave.

Interesting. Hadn't really thought about that.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,292

I wonder if vertical is safe to do without the dreadnaught in place? With a different amp on each speaker I'm thinking it's taking the chance of one amp "seeing" the other with the sda connector in place.
    I've done horizontal on my 2.3s in the past with no transformer and no problems. But it was done without an active crossover so there were no appreciable gains.
    https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bi-amping-horizontal-or-vertical/

I was actually thinking of horizontal bi-amping. I always get those two mixed up.

We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    We wanna see a review
    :D

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,045
    It's an amp it has perty lights, it's heavy and it get freaking LOUD.....

how's that? B)