KLH Albany speaker review

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,560
I'm excited and proud to share my first gear review written for The Audio Beatnik!

I reviewed the KLH Albany bookshelf speakers: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-klh-albany-speakers-sound-and-value/

Please enjoy, and let me know what you think!

hqsxmutcj959.jpg

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Great review Drew!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited July 2019
    The design features a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter paired with a 5.25 inch woven Kevlar woofer situated inside a brushed aluminum linear response faceplate.

There seems to be some grammatical ambiguity goin' on in the sentence above. Reading it literally (as written) it appears that the "linear response faceplate" was on the woofer given the sentence construction -- but common sense (and the next sentence in the review) suggest it's the tweeter, not the woofer, with the faceplate.
    This faceplate aids with imaging performance and ensures a wide treble dispersion.

Does "The Audio Beatnik" haven an editor @Clipdat?
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2019
    On topic (i.e., the review and the loudspeakers themselves!):

The "coolness" ascribed to the bass might have as much to do with amplification as it does with the small enclosure and acoustic suspension alignment of the loudspeakers, I would posit.

What amplification was used with them in the review, @clipdat? Acoustic suspension loudspeakers need lots and lots of power* to reveal their true character(istics); they're sort of the 21st Century's hifi equivalent of papyrus (or the Saturn V main stage's F-1 engines) -- sort of a lost art. Modern hifi fans may have no idea of what makes an AS loudspeaker tick -- much less how to get the most out of them.

Maybe I read through the review too quickly, but I saw no mention of ancillary equipment used. Maybe this is an Audio Beatnik thing?

Nice write up Drew! I have to agree with Mark on the grammatical "issue" and the omission of the audio equipment/gear used in your evaluation. Food for thought going forward :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I would posit.

I had a Betamax copy of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and I would posit every time Phoebe Cates took off her bikini top.

1qrr7wyb62hz.jpg
  • Clipdat
    The design features a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter paired with a 5.25 inch woven Kevlar woofer situated inside a brushed aluminum linear response faceplate.

There seems to be some grammatical ambiguity goin' on in the sentence above. Reading it literally (as written) it appears that the "linear response faceplate" was on the woofer given the sentence construction -- but common sense (and the next sentence in the review) suggest it's the tweeter, not the woofer, with the faceplate.
    This faceplate aids with imaging performance and ensures a wide treble dispersion.

Does "The Audio Beatnik" haven an editor @Clipdat?

Thanks so much Mark for bringing this to my attention. This was a sentence that was adjusted for content after I submitted the article for approval and publishing. I originally had the woofer listed first, and then the tweeter.

I will submit this to the site's editor so it can be corrected.

Thanks again.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2019
    What amplification was used with them in the review, @clipdat?

Primarily the PS Audio S300, and also the Sony TA-A1ES.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Well done Mr G
  • Clipdat
    Wow, Crutchfield has these on sale until tomorrow for $359.24 in black or walnut, now that's a slamming deal: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405ALBBK/KLH-Albany-Black-Oak.html
  • mhardy6647
    I do apologize that my earlier posts were grumpier sounding than necessary :/
    I am not sure why; it was a gorgeous morning here in northern New England!
  • mhardy6647
    It'd be interesting to A-B these little KLHs with some of the other low-priced darlings of recent years (e.g., the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 yadda-yadda-yadda :p ) -- maybe even interesting to compare to some of the perennial high-priced darlings (I'm lookin' at you, BBC LS3/5A specification nearfield monitors! ;) )

I understand that the redoubtable Art Dudley reviewed the current Chartwell-produced LS3/5A variant in Stereophile for June 2019.

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/9/95257.html
  • Clipdat
    The line in question has been edited and reads correctly now: "The design features a 5.25 inch woven Kevlar woofer paired with a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter situated inside a brushed aluminum linear response faceplate."
  • Clipdat

I didn't think you sounded grumpy at all.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice write up Drew! Wow! One of our very own, a professional reviewer!

I do like your approach, on finding inexpensive pieces of gear that provide good performance for the budget minded customers out there. In other words, a great value! You may have found your niche! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Nice review Drew. Keep up the good work.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Dam Yankee :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice work!!!!!!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Nice review! Another interesting comparison might be the Albany vs Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary edition.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That's very Cool man!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Small Bump,
    The ST amp is on it's way back from repair. These will either go to a new home or back in the box and sit. Excellent speakers which I don't have another use for and a shame to sit around not being played. I'm really enjoying my time with them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Clipdat
    Looks like you meant to bump your FS thread, not the review thread. Here it is: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190070/klh-albany-bookshelf-speakers