Who Switched from iPhone to Driod?

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello all,
Just curios who made the switch. What is your experience with both operating system pro's cons etc.
My Son might be the first in our family to jump ship and go Driod but he's nervous doing so as he grew up iPhone.
I personally think some of the Android phones are really nice but I'm not exactly sure I would be comfortable switching. I messed with a few of them now and I can't seem to find my way around the damn thing. I'm so use to iPhone. I've had just about every model since the original which I kept.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I have been carrying an iPhone for work and an Android for my personal phone for a little over 2 years now. Honestly they are laid out slightly differently, and each has some unique features, but they are more similar than most like to admit.

My only caveat is if you are fully in the Apple ecosystem than it might be slightly harder to transition. But really it’s much more of a preference vs better/worse.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited July 2019
    First time posting in a long time, but...

I went the other way, from years of Android (including an actual Droid), mostly because I didn't want to "overpay" for Apple, to years of iOS (since 2014). Had both overlapping for a while after the switch. Other than Android, my iPhone experience is limited to 5C, 6, 7 and X.

My verdict? Don't switch, for the reasons below:
    1. Service: any iPhone I've ever owned has been eligible for a battery replacement, or a screen replacement (in case of a cracked screen). This service is beyond compare IMO (but there is a charge outside of warranty). In fact, a visiting niece had a cracked screen, so for her birthday, we took her phone to the Apple Store to replace the screen. They did not have a screen replacement tool in that store, so for the same price, they gave her a completely new phone of the same model, including a new battery.
    2. Sharing iCloud storage: family's can share paid iCloud storage over multiple devices. This makes backups seamless, with no loss of photos, contacts, or anything else ever possible. Everyone gets 5GB for free (good for contacts etc., but not much else), but $1 per month gets you 50GB that cannot be shared, $3 per month gets you 200GB which can be shared with a family (up to six members), and $10 gets you 2TB (that can also be shared). With iCloud, getting new phones is simplicity itself: sign in to your AppleID and all of your apps, contacts and settings will reload.
    3. Cross device sharing: with an Apple ID and iCloud, everything on your iPhone will be shared with your iPod (if you have one), your iPad and your iMac/Macbook/Mac. This includes iMessages, e-mails, phone calls... You can literally be at your desk, and take or reject phone calls on your iPad or Mac, even if your phone is in another room.
    4. Sending iMessages to family devices is free over WiFi in any country in the world, and even users that only have an iPad or iPod but no iPhone can still send iMessages.
    5. Similarly, FaceTime is free over WiFi in any country in the world. FaceTime does not have to include video, and FaceTime audio is very reliable on weak signals.
    6. Apple's iOS is vastly more stable over time than Android. Even a five year old 5C was still very capable before I stopped using it. This was even more true for a four year old iPhone 6.
    7. In case you're worried about a misplaced iPhone/iPod/iPad/Mac, the Find my iPhone feature works for family devices of any kind.
    8. TouchID and FaceID are both extremely reliable (you probably know this already), and far more convenient than a code. For this reason, an iPhone is far more likely to be securely locked if lost or misplaced, because codes are a pain.
    9. Updates: most Android phones will not receive many updates. Google phones are probably the most noteworthy exception, or Samsung Galaxy phones, but AFAIK nothing compares to iOS updates for iPhones. When the updates stop, it's usually because the phone actually can't handle any additional features without slowing considerably (so it's a good thing, not a bad thing). The only iOS phone I ever owned that stopped getting system updates was the 5C, but it was still fully functional. The iPhone 6 was never refused a system update for the time that I owned it, even after four years.
    10. Google forces you to use a gmail address to sign in on Android, and they will push you to use Google services. On an iPhone you can sign in with ANY e-mail you want. In fact, it is not required to have any Apple e-mail address at all. You can use other services from Google or Yahoo or Microsoft and you will not lose functionality.

In the end, the cost difference is not nearly what is made out to be, especially when you consider updates, and that Apple offers refurbished phones that are in like new condition (although availability will vary):

Refurbished iPhones from Apple

YMMV
    Post edited by Kex on
    Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2019
    ^^ Well thought out post, even if it does showcase Apple a bit.

I started on Android, switched to Apple for a while, then switched back to Android. It was a relief.

There will be compromises.

Android if you want more control and like to tinker and customize, but Android can be a frustrating experience if you don't put in the work.

Personally, not since the early HTC Sense overlay has there been a stock Android phone I've liked.

Slap on Nova Launcher and some themes, and customize to your heart's content.

Got neat widgets for live, interactive content.

Not be limited to space wasting icon grid.

Be able to get around the system intuitively.

Apple kills it on device backup through, if you're not rooted.

Stay Apple if you don't care about bells and whistles, and just want stuff to work and need Facetime to see your baby or puppy while you're driving to work.

I like Apple computers and some of the Apps exclusive to iOS, but personally, I think Apple's mobile devices are like prison, and the UX is clunky. But as noted, each platform has its benefits.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Not a fan of cell phones but Androids are all wife & I have ever owned. My son's 17 and 24 both have iPhones. I needed iOS to run my new network player and was gifted a new iPad pro. All I use it for is to run my music. It would be nice to have my phone do that too but my LG V20 is still like new and works great. Once it fails I will probably go the route of Apple..
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I've only had droids for the few years I've had a cell and have no plans of switching. Apple made that choice easy for me when I heard how they slow down their older phones hoping that you'll buy a new and "faster" one.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Android does the same thing in my experience.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I've only had droids for the few years I've had a cell and have no plans of switching. Apple made that choice easy for me when I heard how they slow down their older phones hoping that you'll buy a new and "faster" one.

This was disturbing, but they stopped.

No right answer here, but I stick with Apple because the phones just work, battery life is great, I have a 7 plus thats 3+ years old and still runs like a champ. I’ll keep it at least one more year and probably until they stop provides OS updates for it. And I do like the shared iCloud and my ability to lockdown and monitor my daughters iPad.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorstereo
    Clipdat wrote: »

Not in mine. My oldest droids are ancient G3's and (knock on wood) run no different now than the day I bought them several years ago.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    seofh9029zr9.png

I had an early IPhone and hated all the bloatware, lack of ability to add a SIMM card and have owned Samsung android phones ever since. But I can understand why people like IPones/APPLE
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Clipdat wrote: »

Not in mine. My oldest droids are ancient G3's and (knock on wood) run no different now than the day I bought them several years ago.

Yeah it would depend on the manufacturer. Another plus Android has is multiple manufacturers, this is why Android phones advance faster than Apple mobile devices do, there is not a monopoly on Android so everyone competes for the newer better features.

I am Android but I have nothing to add, if you like your phone go stay with it. The differences at the end of the day are pretty minimal.

For what it's worth LG and Samsung phones emit the LEAST amount of radiation BY FAR compared to Apple phones.

That's my only plugs ha.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Kex
    ... Apple made that choice easy for me when I heard how they slow down their older phones hoping that you'll buy a new and "faster" one.
    FWIW, that’s not entirely accurate. You could make your phone faster simply by replacing the battery, not the phone.
    1. Software was designed to slow older phones ONLY IF the battery had insufficient battery capacity to run properly without random shutdowns (when the phone draws more power than the older battery can provide) and ONLY IF conditions would require it (such as colder or hotter temperatures, outside the optimal operating range).
    2. In response, they provided the option to replace ANY iPhone battery (6 or newer) for just $29. That pricing ended in December, and a new battery is now $50 for an 8 or older, and $70 for a X, XR, or XS. This effectively extends the useful life of the phone, and costs a fraction of the cost of a new phone, so they can hardly be accused of trying to force anyone to upgrade. Random shutdowns would be more likely to do that.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Ever since a fling with an iPhone 3G, I've been all Android. It's been my preference mainly because there are so many options. For example, my current phone is a OnePlus 6. The build quality is comparable to other top tier phones, but it cost a lot less. Software is pretty much stock Android. I wouldn't trade it for an Apple or a Samsung.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    seofh9029zr9.png

I had an early IPhone and hated all the bloatware, lack of ability to add a SIMM card and have owned Samsung android phones ever since. But I can understand why people like IPones/APPLE

Sorry. But you are wrong on all accounts. iPhone started off with AT&T because another carrier turned Jobs offer down. iPhones started with SIM cards. Bloated? Nope.
  • halen
    People tend to talk Android. But it is not true Android. The base mobile OS is Android, the foundation. Cell companies then bloat the API on top. The dependency injection is a joke. If you are a software person worth your salt you would understand.

Halen
  • motorstereo

Kex wrote: »
    ... Apple made that choice easy for me when I heard how they slow down their older phones hoping that you'll buy a new and "faster" one.
    FWIW, that’s not entirely accurate. You could make your phone faster simply by replacing the battery, not the phone.

From the horse's mouth
    https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technology/apple-slows-down-old-iphones/index.html
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    In with 69
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I wouldn't have had any problems going with Apple if they offered a SD card slot. Their pricing per GB years ago really turned we away, not as bad now but still prefer the option of a card slot.

I agree both have their pros and cons
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    ycl4ln80wuuc.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Kex
    edited July 2019
    We are the Borg! Resistance is futile!
    Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    halen wrote: »
    People tend to talk Android. But it is not true Android. The base mobile OS is Android, the foundation. Cell companies then bloat the API on top. The dependency injection is a joke. If you are a software person worth your salt you would understand.

Halen

I'm not a programmer. What is a dependency injection?
    I disabled signatures.
  • halen
    edited July 2019
    msg wrote: »
    halen wrote: »

Halen

I'm not a programmer. What is a dependency injection?

It is the fallacy of giving the properties of its inherited class its identification. In simple terms, a fancy word for class properties.

If your favorite number is “e” you will understand.

I am not a programmer either. I develop the functionality for people to program other things. Such as a remote control.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Really all depends on what you use your phone for. For integrating business and personal in one device, Apple seems to have that edge. If all you do is play games, calls/texts/internet/social media....pics or just watch Netflix......android works for most.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Have had a Galaxy Note 5 for quite some time now. Zero issues.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Phones are kinda like TV's.....it's all about the processors and screens. My phone is ancient by todays standards, a regular HTC. Not lightning fast like the newer models, but fast enough. Calls, texts, pics, surf the internet, GPS.....about all I use a phone for really. Plus I refuse to pay 4-500, even a thousand, for a newer top model phone that will be outdated in one year.

Like I said, depends on what you use a phone for. If your the type that likes to control everything with a phone over web based apps.....Apple is the better choice as their security is top notch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I totally agree Tony, I still am using my 2012 Samsung Note 2 as my phone. It does everything that I need it to do and I can still update the apps that I use on it.

I also have 2 other Samsung phones that I use as mp3 players and ebook readers, and to have backups in case my Note 2 decides to die on me.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • motorstereo
    I know I'd be happy to do the ultra fast 2 thumb texting like the kids do no matter what the brand. Too many fat thumbed mistakes when I try that even at my sloth speed.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    I was a droid fan for years and then switched to apple on a whim about 7 years ago. I’ve had 2 iphones and they do everything I need them to do. They’re intuitive and their privacy efforts seem to be better than the other manufacturers. I can’t see switching back at this point. But to each their own. If you like to tinker with it, install a different OS, etc the droid is probably the better choice.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"