Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Yes Sir! :smile:

Awesome see you there.

You too my brother! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    No one really needs that much power or even monoblocks but it sure is nice to have that extra power and separation on the occasions you do feel like having a live concert in your listening room. At normal levels they're also the finest sounding all day low level listening amps I've ever heard and a perfect match for dreadnaughted 1.2tl's imo. They will also stop any thoughts of amp envy or upgraditis so there's a huge savings right there in getting off the amp merry go round. In my case selling the ones they replaced (mc2500's) paid for half their price. My one and only criticism of them is their extreme weight but that goes for most any Mac product. I moved mine into place alone but at 63 years old I know my days of moving 147lb amps around are numbered.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    No one really needs that much power or even monoblocks but it sure is nice to have that extra power and separation on the occasions you do feel like having a live concert in your listening room. At normal levels they're also the finest sounding all day low level listening amps I've ever heard and a perfect match for dreadnaughted 1.2tl's imo. They will also stop any thoughts of amp envy or upgraditis so there's a huge savings right there in getting off the amp merry go round. In my case selling the ones they replaced (mc2500's) paid for half their price. My one and only criticism of them is their extreme weight but that goes for most any Mac product. I moved mine into place alone but at 63 years old I know my days of moving 147lb amps around are numbered.

Understood. But 450, 600, 1200 wpc I’m sure would provide listening levels you describe.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • motorstereo
    tratliff wrote: »

Understood. But 450, 600, 1200 wpc I’m sure would provide listening levels you describe.

Absolutely; I even had a pair of Monarchy sm70 class a monoblocks at 70 wpc that worked ok for 90% of my listening......it's that last little bit that costs so damn much.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    To each his or her own. People always assume that because this is the way that I think and this is what I want and this is how I do things.EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET IS JUST LIKE ME (or should be)
    If a company like McIntosh didn’t think there would be a market for such a powerful pair of mono blocks, then they never would have made them. If memory serves when they first came out they had trouble keeping up with the demand.
    If you don’t think that you need that much power then good on you. It doesn’t mean that:
    A)Everyone else is like you and
    B)Someone needs to listen at concert hall levels in order to benefit from that much power.
    POWER DOES NOT MEAN LOUDNESS.
    That is an old wives tale.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    To each his or her own. People always assume that because this is the way that I think and this is what I want and this is how I do things.EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET IS JUST LIKE ME (or should be)
    If a company like McIntosh didn’t think there would be a market for such a powerful pair of mono blocks, then they never would have made them. If memory serves when they first came out they had trouble keeping up with the demand.
    If you don’t think that you need that much power then good on you. It doesn’t mean that:
    A)Everyone else is like you and
    B)Someone needs to listen at concert hall levels in order to benefit from that much power.
    POWER DOES NOT MEAN LOUDNESS.
    That is an old wives tale.

I think you have pushed the conversation beyond the intent. My point was when ALL things are considered it might be a wiser decision to invest in other quality components than kilo-watt amplifiers, as long as ample power is at hand.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • honestaquarian
    We are not here to give @verb sage advice. We are here to show him how to separate his money 💵 from his wallet ;)>:)
    Besides HE was the one who found those amps on eBay.
    I SAY HIT VEGAS BABY AND HAVE MOMMA BRING BACK SOME WINNINGS!$!$!$!$!$!
  • verb
    I appreciate all the sage advice! And the banter as well! Good discussion thus far! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

Given that it takes more than 2700 watts to accurately reproduce the sound of a scissor-snip, I would be inclined to say that the more power you are able to have at hand, the better. The reason for having that capability is not to be able to pretend you are at an ACDC concert, but rather to have the power available for transient demands that require instantaneous release of energy. A high current, high wattage design with a large amount of stored reserves tends to work best IMHO.

When I built my amps, I increased the power caps by 30% over what Bob was using, and I am happy I did. The next amps will have (8) 450v 1200uf screwtop capacitors, one for each output tube. I expect it will make 500 watts, and nearly 10,000uf worth of energy storage.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • honestaquarian

Given that it takes more than 2700 watts to accurately reproduce the sound of a scissor-snip, I would be inclined to say that the more power you are able to have at hand, the better. The reason for having that capability is not to be able to pretend you are at an ACDC concert, but rather to have the power available for transient demands that require instantaneous release of energy. A high current, high wattage design with a large amount of stored reserves tends to work best IMHO.

When I built my amps, I increased the power caps by 30% over what Bob was using, and I am happy I did. The next amps will have (8) 450v 1200uf screwtop capacitors, one for each output tube. I expect it will make 500 watts, and nearly 10,000uf worth of energy storage.

Ah yes the scissor snip analogy. I thought I was the only one who remembered that.
    Excellent point!
  • motorstereo
    Excellent sounding combination; Mac and MIT and that's a nice, neat looking job you did with those unwieldy cables Verb.
    Hey just think you won't have to worry about those barrier strip connectors when you snag those 1201's :)
  • honestaquarian
    Excellent sounding combination; Mac and MIT and that's a nice, neat looking job you did with those unwieldy cables Verb.
    Hey just think you won't have to worry about those barrier strip connectors when you snag those 1201's :)

f8b3wxk5fiag.jpeg

Oh and did I mention...............WOW😲 JUST LOOK 👀 AT THOSE BINDING POSTS ;)
  • verb
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited April 2019
    verb wrote: »
    So tonight I installed my new Pomona adapters. Nice tight fit to the terminal block. And the banana connectors fit snug. Happy camper here! :smile:
    xtkop113eygh.jpeg

I'm glad your found these Pomona adapters. On Wednesday, I installed the ones I ordered on the terminal strips of my Infinity SSW-210 Servo Sub. I have more to order for the SSW-212 sub.

qrif0cpzja7l.jpg
    gwash5ex74v3.jpg

Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • verb
    edited April 2019
    Very nice @BlueBirdMusic ! You even got the color coded ones! I'm very happy with the Pomona adapters! Nice solid connection now! :smile:
  • verb
    So I've been thinking about getting a mate for my beloved MC300, running em in bridged mode. It looks like they are low ohm capable. Any issues with bridging? Pros/cons? Please advise. Here are the specs:
    9b8dmf7q6ovo.png
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    I wouldn't stress over bridging. McIntosh holds value well so it wouldn't cost you much to attempt it, but it also probably won't gain you anything and might hurt the sound overall.

Thanks for the insight Skip! How would it hurt the sound?
  • verb
    edited July 2019
    DSkip wrote: »

Thanks for the link! Interesting, surely something to think about. The MC300's are very low ohm capable, even has a switch on the back to enable bridging.
  • motorstereo
    edited July 2019
    I ran bridged-paralleled MC2500's on my 1.2tl's for a few years and it was a nice upgrade over running a single 2500. I could not tell a difference in sound running them paralleled or bridged. I'm thinking you should give it shot if another MC300 appears. Those 2500's living here made a believer out of me on having a separate amp for each speaker and it just may put you on the course for a pair of 601's or 1201's like it did to me
  • verb
    I ran bridged-paralleled MC2500's on my 1.2tl's for a few years and it was a nice upgrade over running a single 2500. I could not tell a difference in sound running them paralleled or bridged. I'm thinking you should give it shot if another MC300 appears. Those 2500's living here made a believer out of me on having a separate amp for each speaker and it just may put you on the course for a pair of 601's or 1201's like it did to me

I like your style brother! :smile:
  • honestaquarian
    Talking about bridging amps in the audiophile world is almost like talking about cables.
    RABBIT HOLE
    Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    If you do then great!
    If you don't then great!
    You will never know how something tastes until you taste it. Asking other people to describe the taste of it and whether or not they liked the taste does what exactly for you??
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2019
    IMHO if you want the biggest gain to your sound you should do the full mod on your SRS's and then some room treatments. Other than that, most all your components in your basement rig are top notch (to me). Just my 2 cents worth...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I agree with the above, for all the crazy awesome gear upgrades you have been doing you are still holding your 1.2s back from their full potential.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb
    I hear ya! Certainly on my list of upgrades! :smile:
  • verb
    Talking about bridging amps in the audiophile world is almost like talking about cables.
    RABBIT HOLE
    Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    If you do then great!
    If you don't then great!
    You will never know how something tastes until you taste it. Asking other people to describe the taste of it and whether or not they liked the taste does what exactly for you??

Yep. The MC300's don't come up for sale very often. Certainly not for the smoking price I got mine! Gotta keep looking, patience grasshopper! :smile:
  • verb
    edited July 2019
    So over the past week, some drama unfolded regarding the MC300.

Not mine, mind you, but I found another one! Yay! Not a bad deal, but looked minty, 1 owner, etc. Gonna run em as monoblocks, yeah life is good! :smile:

I found this beauty on eBay of all places. So after some emails back and forth, I pulled the trigger!

p8m8it5kns8w.png

No original boxes, so I decided to ship to the seller my box, to ensure it was packed properly. There's a mini pallet that the unit gets secured with screws. And it's double boxed. Bullet proof. So far so good,

And as luck should have it, the seller lives in the same town as our very own @FestYboy ! Arty agreed to help supervise the packaging, as only a Polkie could, to make sure this heavy item landed safely at the house! Nearly 100lbs total!

But, a few days later, looking at the listing, again, I've done it many times, and I noticed on the back of the unit, it says 230 volts? WTF? Ever get that sinking feeling knowing that something is amiss? And I already PP'd the funds!

So I sent the seller another e-mail. Seller claims surprise. Seller claims that it worked fine for many years at the house. Last time I checked normal household current is 110V in PA!

So I asked if it was converted. Nope. Hmmm.

I eventually reached out to McIntosh, and they explicitly say that a 230v unit is not compatible here in the US, but a conversion can be done. I didn't get into the details, as the situation didn't feel right to me.

I didn't want to spend a ton more money on a conversion, especially when paired with another unit that is 110V. Just me, but I feel that the units have to be identical.

So I cancelled the order. Seller was not happy, but I just got the PP refund. Whew.

Ahhh, I feel better now. Just sharing.

And, a special shout out to @FestYboy for willing to take time out, and help with my endeavors! Arty you truly are a gentleman and friend! Thank you sir!

Now, to get the shipping box back? Hopefully no drama there! :smile:
  • verb
    Thanks Skip! Yeah I agree, original owner? Yeah right. Not aware that's it's 230v? Yeah right. Later dude! :smile:
  • motorstereo
    Wow what a let down; imo you did the right thing by walking away from that one though. Hopefully another one will come your way soon
  • verb
    Thanks Motor. Yep. Just gotta be patient, and I am! :smile: