How do you guys like your PS Audio Stellar S300 amps ?

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited June 2019
    See ?
    That right there is what I’m talking about .....
    Skip is offering a service that has VALUE .....
    I have no problem paying additional for that service .....

Online retailers don’t offer that service and therefore can’t command a premium price , and shouldn’t.

If you need that service , buy from a full service retailer... if not , buy from a discounter ..
    Remember full service gas stations ? How many of those are left ?

BTW , just hit 100 posts and wasn’t even trying 😃😃
    BK

kharp1 wrote: »
    That's why skip likes to spend time getting to know you, try to reach a consensus on what your "sound" is and then put together the right system for you. That doesn't happen by reading online reviews and ordering the cheapest piece you can find. The used market is great if you know what you're looking for.

I feel like I have a pretty good knowledge of the internal workings of most components, and, therefore feel like I'm better than the average person in being able to pick and choose good components. However, I've often found that when mentioning a piece to Skip he has offered insight that I hadn't considered, and, thankfully saved me from possibly making a mistake.

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2019
    never mind :^ /
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I understand the desire to get the most for the least, however, we need to step back and think about things from all angles. If price is out only concern, and we refuse to pay new prices, what's left? You get rock bottom price with no warranty? Most gear is dependable, but, what about that rare occasion you get the best price but arrives DOA? What if there is no one at that company to answer a call or email? Would you be willing to pay even $1k for an amp if you had no possibility to recoup any loss for a defective product?

What about the cost of new development? Do you want to use a DAC from 10 -15 years ago? The Walmart society wants a store open around the clock with cheap stuff. What will that concept leave us in the audio world?

If you're the type of person that shops, or use to shop, for an item at a retail store, and, then left with the help and info of an associate only to go buy it on the internet for the cheapest price possible, well, you're part of the reason B&M is a thing of the past. F you very much.
  • gyosa
    Spoke to an engineer at PSA today ...
    The S300 is a true dual mono design and is NOT a common ground amp.....

Bk

Clipdat wrote: »
    gyosa wrote: »
    Is it compatible with SDA’s , I know it’s dual mono , but common ground ? - in case I ever use with my 1c’s ?

Not sure, but there is this bit from the manual that might be relevant:

"Black Terminal is not Ground

Its important to note that the Stellar Amplifier is a fully balanced BTL amplifier. As such the Black terminal is not ground. If connecting the Stellar S300 to a REL Acoustics subwoofer, its important to consult the manufacturer’s service documentation to ensure the S300 is appropriate for the subwoofer."

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Hang in there Skip! we still need you, I am Glad I know where you live and you will always be there to help me in I had a problem (luckily it been nothing but green pastures as all my gear has been kicking rear)

Having a reliable dealer/distributor is awesome and I like you ear's!
    it can be rough for buyers and sellers both...crazy world we live in!

who can we trust to back us up if the worst happens when making a Audio purchase?

Can you trust the buyer to be honest and not try and find a way to steal you product once you deliver it to them?

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gyosa
    Hi skip ,
    I’m going to use this amp , if I get it , on my Salks ...
    I’m using an A21 on my polks ...
    Was just curious about the common ground in case I ever decide to swap things around .....just for grins ...

By the way , I spoke to you on the phone a year ago or so ...
    Just want to say you struck me as a true gentleman who was genuinely interested in our discussion .... I live in Dallas ...

Bk
    DSkip wrote: »
    Spoke to an engineer at PSA today ...
    The S300 is a true dual mono design and is NOT a common ground amp.....

Bk

Clipdat wrote: »
    Is it compatible with SDA’s , I know it’s dual mono , but common ground ? - in case I ever use with my 1c’s ?

Not sure, but there is this bit from the manual that might be relevant:

"Black Terminal is not Ground

Its important to note that the Stellar Amplifier is a fully balanced BTL amplifier. As such the Black terminal is not ground. If connecting the Stellar S300 to a REL Acoustics subwoofer, its important to consult the manufacturer’s service documentation to ensure the S300 is appropriate for the subwoofer."

Can your speakers use an AI-1 or dreadnought?

• gyosa
    edited June 2019
    Here’s the deal as I see it ...

It’s a no-brainer for someone to be an internet seller of hi fi gear ....
    No skin in the game , no stock to warehouse , no storefront , no overhead ....
    Customer orders , selller make a few bucks for doing nothing and drop ships the item to buyer from manufacturer ....
    Everyone’s happy ....

Here’s an example ....
    We recently re-did our den ....

Wanted a console for tv and stereo gear ....
    Found one .
    It’s MSRP was $7,500 ...

Almost every high end furniture store in Dallas was a “rep” for this manufacturer, but no one actually had one in stock for us to look at - cuz they just “rep” the manufacturer ( meaning they don’t actually stock ANY of their stuff , but they’re more than happy to sell it to you ).... you look through a catalog , find what you like , they’ll sell it , sight unseen , for full msrp , and take their tidy profit and have it drop shipped from the manufacturer to our house for doing , literally, almost nothing - no skin in the game .... nice gig , if you ask me ....but not my cup of tea....

Finally found a store , same deal , who actually did some legwork and found a sample of this piece at the design center in Dallas ... they arranged a visit for us to see it in person .... I mean , I’m not dropping that kind of money on something sight unseen - no matter how bad the wife wants it 😊......

She even OFFERED a substantial discount because , in her words , “this is easy for us” - which no one else would ....
    Guess who we bought from ?

My point is - why would I pay full price for something that the seller has no investment in ?
    I would have been willing to pay full price for the seller that actually spent some time and effort to help us by arranging a viewing - because there was some value for their service....
    The others , not so much .....

Bk

• kharp1
    I still think this whole thing is a Fonzi scheme!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Here’s the deal as I see it ...

It’s a no-brainer for someone to be an internet seller of hi fi gear ....
    No skin in the game , no stock to warehouse , no storefront , no overhead ....
    Customer orders , selller make a few bucks for doing nothing and drop ships the item to buyer from manufacturer ....
    Everyone’s happy ....

Here’s an example ....
    We recently re-did our den ....

Wanted a console for tv and stereo gear ....
    Found one .
    It’s MSRP was $7,500 ...

Almost every high end furniture store in Dallas was a “rep” for this manufacturer, but no one actually had one in stock for us to look at - cuz they just “rep” the manufacturer .... you look through a catalog , find what you like , they’ll sell it , sight unseen , for full msrp , and take their tidy profit and have it drop shipped from the manufacturer to our house for doing , literally, almost nothing - no skin in the game .... nice gig , if you ask me ....but not my cup of tea....

Finally found a store , same deal , who actually did some legwork and found a sample of this piece at the design center in Dallas ... they arranged a visit for us to see it in person .... I mean , I’m not dropping that kind of money on something sight unseen - no matter how bad the wife wants it 😊......

She even OFFERED a substantial discount because , in her words , “this is easy for us” - which no one else would ....
    Guess who we bought from ?

My point is - why would I pay full price for something that the seller has no investment in ?
    I would have been willing to pay full price for the seller that actually spent some time and effort to help us by arranging a viewing - because there was some value for their service....
    The others , not so much .....

Bk

I totally agree with this. At a certain price point, I want to see/ hear things first. It's purely a comfort thing. Not everyone feels that way, but that's where I see a lot of value in a dealer.

Not to mention in audio where so many things come down to a preference, or a synergy with existing gear. That's where a good dealer like Skip comes in really handy.

I bring this up because I was looking VERY closely at the Stellar line. Pretty much drooling over the idea of the Stellar stereo stack, with longer term plans to move up to the mono amps.

I found a local "dealer" that only sold the Sprout, and called PS Audio to be informed that the trial was the best bet. Don't get me wrong, the trial is awesome, but I've had times where glowing reviews didn't do much for me in person so I wasn't rushing to do it.

Fast forward to now, I have a Mastersound amp and Cambridge streamer. Both purchased from Skip, with confidence. Because we talked it out... a lot. He had a good sense for what I liked, and I had gained trust in him by watching him equipment match based on my feedback.

I ended up spending more out the door between those two purchases, but I have ZERO buyer's remorse. To me, that's the real value of a good dealer. Without that, I might have the Stellar stack, but I might also still be wondering what else is out there.

I'd still gladly give the Stellar gear a shot if it came up, because I love trying stuff. But I'm certainly not on the hunt for it.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • gyosa
    I agree ....
    People like Skip certainly deserve to be compensated for their work ....

Bk

• gyosa
    edited June 2019
    Hey ,
    No problem!
    That’s what makes this place interesting ...
    Seeing everyone’s perspective....

And it all remained civil ....
    Bk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    He can’t take it. I bought him dinner and breakfast twice at axpona and apparently annoyed beyond reproach....

J/k skipper ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I still think this whole thing is a Fonzi scheme!

pe0w6u8x7b6j.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I don’t mind buying new gear since I will be keeping it, and I know how it has been treated. However, I do buy from vendors that don’t charge retail, and my Pass gear was vendor demos that came with a full warranty at a discount price. Fortunately, there isn’t any more gear I need since I just retired. All I can do now is listen to it. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    Stoooop. If you don’t I’m gonna catch diabetes!

All the love today did help me through a rough day of defeat but I can’t handle any more sweetness.

I do appreciate the kind words from everyone. I kind of turned this thread into something completely different and I apologize.

Why don't you just butt out and mind your own beeswax! This thread is for PS Audio lovers!!! Hater.
  • kharp1
    Stoooop. If you don’t I’m gonna catch diabetes!

All the love today did help me through a rough day of defeat but I can’t handle any more sweetness.

I do appreciate the kind words from everyone. I kind of turned this thread into something completely different and I apologize.

Why don't you just butt out and mind your own beeswax! This thread is for PS Audio lovers!!! Hater.

Thar was said in a total childish way as a joke. Don't go away mad, Skip :)

I still want to hear one as I am skeptical of class D. Have yet to hear a class D that made my ears perk up.
  • joecoulson
    Sorry but you should know better. The s300 and m700’s are STELLAR!!
  • kharp1
    If this question has been asked and answered then forgive me, but, what have you compared these Stellar amps against? What did they replace and why did they beat that previous amp for the starting lineup?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    If this question has been asked and answered then forgive me, but, what have you compared these Stellar amps against? What did they replace and why did they beat that previous amp for the starting lineup?
    Well...I answered that question in the second post of this thread.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    edited June 2019
    For my they trounced Linn LK240 ($4800 a pair) monoblocks.
  • gyosa
    I’m so glad I asked this question ... seriously...
    I , too , am skeptical of class D ....I am mighty tempted by the B&K 200.2 for sale here for half the price of the Stellar - it is a well known entity with a long history..
    But , it’s probably close to 20 years old now ..
    I already have an old amp ...

Tempted to try something new ....
    So far haven’t seen anything negative about it ....

BK

• jdjohn
    In my review here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179314/ps-audio-stellar-analog-cell-amp-versus/p1 one thing I mentioned was harmonics. Before doing direct comparisons of class D vs class A/B, I had never noticed the harmonic distortions in class A/B. Normally, harmonic distortion is only mentioned in reference to tube amps, but this phenomena is also present (and known) in solid state amps, but to a lesser degree.

IMO/IME class D pretty much strips all harmonic distortion. Distortion is a fickled friend, and comes down to taste. Those who prefer it will gravitate toward tube amps. Others will land in class A, A/B, or otherwise. Class D IME provides very clean and undistorted playback. It is interesting to more clearly hear reverb/delay/echo effects, with vocals in particular, when utilizing class D playback.

Again, this all comes down to taste, but I know several members on this forum that made the switch, and haven't looked back.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If I didn't already have the greatest pair of tube amps in the known universe, PS Audio would be on my short list to try out. I say go for it, as at that price there is nothing else new that will come close to touching it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    You have tried the PS Audio Stellar line Skip?
  • jdjohn
    Joe beat me to it. Until one has done a true real-time comparison, one shouldn't imply comparisons.
  • kharp1
    joecoulson wrote: »
    You have tried the PS Audio Stellar line Skip?

Thought he made it pretty clear that he hadn't, but, iterated that he had yet to find a class D he could live with. I'm in the same boat, though I have not heard the Stellar amps. That was why I was asking for amp comparison to see if anyone had put them up against any amps I've had. The McCormack is one I've had. Same with a B&K. Neither of those made the cut, but, the hot-rodded McCormack was a good one.
  • jdjohn
    edited June 2019
    I'm not sure you understand what it is that tube amps do. It isn't about distortion - that's for guitar amps. What they do is something special in audio and class D isn't there yet.
    So if guitar amps accomplish the tube mission, why do we need power amps (in a playback function) to do it again? That seems repetitive, redundant, and unnatural.
  • kharp1
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand what it is that tube amps do. It isn't about distortion - that's for guitar amps. What they do is something special in audio and class D isn't there yet.
    So if guitar amps accomplish the tube mission, why do we need power amps (in a playback function) to do it again? That seems repetitive, redundant, and unnatural.

That's not how I read that statement. The harmonics that tubes distort are the even harmonics, which are far more pleasing to the ear. Tubes excel in guitar amps because they can be distorted to give the beautiful fullness we love on distorted guitars. SS shows a much more jagged line when scoped and isn't as pleasant to listen to.

In home playback tubes often offer a fuller, richer sound with a more holographic sound stage. Some say that can be reproduced with SS, but, the cost is usually stratospheric.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    There are spatial things that happen with a good tube amp that are incredibly hard to replicate with solid state. It could be because transistors operate off square waves and tubes operate in sine waves, which is obviously more natural. It could be that there is 'magic' in the bottles. Whatever the reason, its simply more organic.

It has been a few years since I worked with hardware, but I think analog circuitry transistors aren’t dealing with square waves.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    Thread derail complete.

Bottom line, PS A class D amps are an absolute bargain for the performance.

I recommended them highly to the OP