Command Bar-Alexa-Not connecting to Internet - Wifi

There are multiple threads with this same issue. The Command bar intermittently loses its connection to my home wifi (Xfinity router). It can be fine for days and all of the sudden, when I say 'Alexa', I get the red ring and it says that it cannot connect to the internet.

To fix it (temporarily)-
- Take out the Command Bar power cord
- I go into my router settings, I turn off the 5 GHz band (it is a dual band router).
- I put the power cord back to the Command Bar.
- Once it boots up, I test with an Alexa request. It has worked every time.
- Another possible solution could be to rename the wifi bands with different names, but I find that to be inconvenient for all of my other devices. In theory, that might be a permanent solution)

So, the issue appears to be that it switches to a 5 GHz band, but can't use it??? In the specifications, it says that the Command Bar is compatible with the 5GHz band. I don't know what would prompt the Command Bar to try to switch bands once connected.

I see there is a way to ensure it is updated. How can I check the current firmware of the Command Bar?

So the questions are -
- How do I ensure that the Command Bar always connects to the 2.4 GHz band?
- Does anyone else have it running on 5 GHz successfully (is my unit defective?)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jponte
    jponte Posts: 1
    I'm facing the same issues. The WA is not a suitable option, it is really annoying.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Who's Alexa anyway??😂😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • choyou
    choyou Posts: 3
    I have the same issue. My network is on 2.4Hz single band. The Command Bar presumably works on 5Hz. This to my mind needs firmware upgradation. One observation is that after switching it off after use I find next morning it corrects by itself. I do not know how it happens. Looking forward to any solution.
  • Same issue. Same question
  • Teak135
    Teak135 Posts: 1
    May of 2020 and I have the same problem. I called support and got a problem logged. The only response was by email asking about a what time to call back. That’s about 4 weeks ago.
  • wsnwill
    wsnwill Posts: 1
    Same problem. Since I don't have a static ip address, I"m wondering if it is messing up when it changes ip address. Or the IOS app is wrong I have an old android phone I will try.
  • kpoinmn
    kpoinmn Posts: 1
    Add me to the list having this issue. C'mon Polk! This has to be fixable.
  • Hello,
    This should be helpful information from Polk:

" For support on your Polk Audio Command Bar please go to the following web page: https://www.polkaudio.com/contact-us

Locate the "Customer Service, Warranty and Technical Support" section; it is near the top of the page, just below the COVID 19 notice. Click the red words "Email Polk Customer Service >>" and fill out the form with the requested information. Our system will generate a case and assign it to an agent for assistance."
  • I'm attempting to reconnect my Command Bar. It was working fine when I turned it off - next morning it's not working and I can't obtain the "Orange Ring" during my reconnect process using the Polk app. I "pushed" on the button on top of the sound bar and it will not produce the orange ring. It's basically a brick at this point. Any help appreciated.
  • Send an email to Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com and explain the situation.
  • +1.....i got the same issue since a weeks, nothing works at all, resetting from factory, changing wifi frequency, removing/adding device from Amazon, etc. So i was wondering if it is a hardware or soft/firmware issue?

here you are my hardware values:
    MCU:0.2.84
    DSP:0.0.18
    XML:1.0.47
    HDMI:0.0.40
    Microphone:0.0.15
    Subwoofer TX/RX:0.0.13

Anyone got the same or upper which works??

thx in advance.regards
  • Hello,
    Here is a response from Polk:
    "Looks like they are already at the latest firmware level. Let’s suggest they disconnect power from the WiFi router for a few minutes to clear the router cache then also power cycle the Commandbar to see if this help restore the internet access."
  • Bought Polk Command Bar, and easily set it up in 5 minutes, and it worked perfectly for one hour. Then it disconnected from the internet, and I couldn’t get it to go back online. So I reset it back to factory and tried to reinstall. The I instructions for iOS installation is to go to wifi settings and choose the Polk command bar there. Problem is it won’t show back up on the list of available wifi networks, no matter what I tried. Unplugging everything, deleting apps and reinstalling, resetting renaming router settings. Nothing. No Polk Command bar in my wifi networks. This will be the second Polk Soundbar I have bought and returned this week. Customer service was rude, dismissive, and hung up on me. Extremely frustrated, angry, and disappointed from my weeklong dysfunctional odyssey into the Polk soundbar universe.