How do you guys like your PS Audio Stellar S300 amps ?

gyosa
gyosa Posts: 675
edited June 2019 in Electronics
Been looking into them ...they seem to get great reviews .
What did y’all replace with the s300 , and are you happy with the decision ?
Happy with the overall sound vs a traditional class AB amp ?
Enough current to drive a 4 ohm load ?
Is it compatible with SDA’s , I know it’s dual mono , but common ground ? - in case I ever use with my 1c’s ?

Think it would compare favorably to my Parasound A21 and B&K EX-442 ?

I’m still looking for another amp for my Salks ....
Not in a huge hurry , the onkyo avr seems to do fine until I decide ... but still want separates....

Thanks !

BK
Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
Post edited by gyosa on

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Hi BK,

I will let someone else answer the SDA compatibility question. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the answer.

Interesting that you mention the B&K EX-442. I went through several power amps in a relatively short period of time, and the EX-442 was one of them. I really liked the EX-442, but then I liked the PS Audio Delta 100 better. And after that, I liked the McCormack DNA-125 even MORE. I stuck with the DNA-125 for quite a while very happily. I still have that amp.

Eventually, the pre-amp in my rig did not suit me. After some research and soul-searching, I decided to take a chance on PSA's S300 class D power amp with the matching Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp - there was a special intro price on that combo, with VERY generous trade-in allowance. I have really never looked back...ok, there was that one time...

I came across a Symphonic Line RG1MK3 power amp that I could not pass up. German-built beast of an amp. I went back-and-forth between this amp and the PSA S300, and kept coming back to the class D.

To answer your question about a 4-ohm load, yes, the S300 will handle it with ease.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited June 2019
    So I don’t have the S300, but I do have its counterpart/s the M700’s. I too have the stellar pre along with them and can say I have honestly stopped searching for upgrades in that arena.

They power my 6ohm Elacs with ease. And to levels that will make my ears bleed if I want them to. I don’t have any issues with break up or thin sound with the class D amplification. They never get hot, they look fantastic and sound even better.

Great gear for the coin.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    gyosa wrote: »
    Is it compatible with SDA’s , I know it’s dual mono , but common ground ? - in case I ever use with my 1c’s ?

Not sure, but there is this bit from the manual that might be relevant:

"Black Terminal is not Ground

Its important to note that the Stellar Amplifier is a fully balanced BTL amplifier. As such the Black terminal is not ground. If connecting the Stellar S300 to a REL Acoustics subwoofer, its important to consult the manufacturer’s service documentation to ensure the S300 is appropriate for the subwoofer."
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2019
    @gyosa just get a S300, you will love it.

Speaking from experience, I own one.
  • gyosa
    Thanks for the feedback guys !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Clipdat
    Sorry, I realize my commentary on it's performance is subjective and meaningless. But I really do think you will like it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Everything I have heard or owned from PS Audio has been stellar. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Sorry, I realize my commentary on it's performance is subjective and meaningless. But I really do think you will like it.

Well thanks Drew! Now you got me looking at em! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gyosa
    I agree ...
    I bought a PS Audio 4.6 preamp new in the late 80’s - early 90’s to pair with my EX-442 and 1C’s ....
    I’m still using it ... love the passive mode ....

I’ll keep my eyes open for a lightly used S300 ...
    Anyone know who has good pricing on new ones ?
    No rush ...

BK

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

I see what you did there...
  • joecoulson
    Underwoodhifi has the best new pricing. Call him for best price. Will not be advertised.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the feedback guys !

Bk

@gyosa, Since your initials are BK just skip the Stellar products and go for the BHK Signature line. You can cross out the "H" in "BHK" and tell everyone it's your personal "BK Signature Preamplifier" and "BK Signature 250 Amplifier". Your choice...say you designed it or, if you prefer, PS Audio created a limited production run in your honor. :D

d41xkvp6n2x6.jpg

But seriously, I'm a very happy PS Audio owner and agree with joecoulson....
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Underwoodhifi has the best new pricing. Call him for best price. Will not be advertised.

Haven't posted but spend time reading on the PS Audio forum. Keep an eye out on their "Marketplace" for quality used gear.

https://forum.psaudio.com/c/marketplace
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gyosa
    Thanks JayCee !

Bk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I think the BHK is where I'm heading.
  • joecoulson
    BHK and p20’s would be pretty dang sweet.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2019
    In my line of work, BHK means Baby Hamster Kidney cells.
    https://www.atcc.org/Products/All/CCL-10.aspx

Some vaccines and some of the earlier therapeutic recombinant coagulation factor proteins were (are) produced in BHK cells in culture. To wit:
    Only two marketed recombinant glycoproteins are currently manufactured in these [BHK] cells, Factor VIIa (NovoSeven®) and Factor VIII (Kogenate® and Kovaltry®),

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168165617301918

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I love mine. I know I've said this before but I like it better than my previous Parasound Halo A21.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • JayCee
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gyosa
    Thanks JayCee. .
    Spoke to underwood hifi today ...
    Liked what I heard ...
    They have new silver ones for 1k ....free ship
    Need to figure a few things out first , like if it'll do what I need it to do using my AVR's pre outs .... my wife is electronically inept .....
    Need an easy , hassel free on/off for system .....☺

bk

• JayCee
    Thanks JayCee. .
    Spoke to underwood hifi today ...
    Liked what I heard ...
    They have new silver ones for 1k ....free ship
    Need to figure a few things out first , like if it'll do what I need it to do using my AVR's pre outs .... my wife is electronically inept .....
    Need an easy , hassel free on/off for system .....☺

bk

The FS thread is $1K used...no brainer for Underdwood; new, good price and full warranty! Totally understand the technology dilemma w/multiple pieces of gear and family members. I have several Logitech Harmony's and always hope for the best when it's in someone else's hands. :neutral:

Good luck moving forward! Hopefully, the S300 will suit your needs and your wife is on-board w/the decision. Looking forward to a "review" thread...:wink:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    C'mon Skip, what do you expect customers to say, Please charge me more ?

I agree it may be bad for independent retailers like yourself, but from a customers point of view, they always look for the cheapest price.

A good example would be Amazon. Not too good for retailers are they, but people flock there for better pricing. Do they care the smaller retailers and brick and mortar stores will go out of business ? Not so much....as long as they get the same things cheaper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    Free Market
    There will always be folks who want the hand holding only a dealer like yourself can provide. But the industry as a whole changed when BB and Circuit City stopped compensating associates with sales commissions early 2k. The higher end stores (which also sold mid and low end gear to make ends meet) could no longer compete with BB and the like, shutting them down (Tweeter, Hifibuys etc). Now you can't even demo gear in the non-Magnolia BB stores because its all out in the open in a warehouse presentation. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing the BB customer to the customers you bring in Skip, but they start somewhere, and it's not buying $20k Rosso's that gets them on the hook.
    I personally try and spread some love around by purchasing higher margin items like cables and accessories from local, and also some gear too. But when it comes to a piece like I purchased yesterday, I am not spending an extra $500+ to help someone out. How would I be able to demo that unit anyway without it being on a totally different setup than mine?
    If you sell something these days, you sell an idea and a vision, not products. My cabinetry is far from perfect, but we sell a lot of it because my customers believe in the vision we have set forth.
    Walter may not be doing you a service, but he is feeding the industry products that might not move without his prices, double edge sword.
  • nooshinjohn
    Then there are guys like my that buy nothing new, including cables. If I bought all my gear as either new or demo, I would have a Hello Kitty boombox and a Fisher Price record player...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gyosa
    I find this discussion interesting .....
    I see both sides ...

I’m an airline pilot and trust me , people will book a different crappy airline if they can save 5 bucks .....I see it every day.
    Human nature....

I have no problem paying retail if , as a customer, I get some value out of the additional cost - such as being able to demo.
    Very difficult to demo equipment these days locally - hence the rise of online dealers. Obviously their overhead is nil so they can offer lower prices.

For what it’s worth , I could purchase direct from PS AUDIO - trade in an old MINT Yamaha R9 receiver ( works perfectly) , that has been sitting unused in my closet for a couple years - with a street value of , what , $100 maybe ? - and get a $500 trade in credit ....
    End result - same price for a S300 ..... $1k

BK

• nooshinjohn
    Both models work for me, as I would never pay 10k for a Pass Labs anything, but 2300, for a 10k retail preamp is a bargain all day long, and better than anything else I could get for that money if I were to buy new.

• kharp1
    edited June 2019
    When you buy from Underwood you're basically getting used prices because he doesn't offer returns. There is no trial period. If there is an issue you would have to go directly to PSA for warranty work. Would probably be wise to contact PSA to verify that they will honor warranty from Underwood, though I'd have a hard time believing they wouldn't. PSA is a class act all the way around.

• gyosa
    edited June 2019
    Correct , no returns to Underwood and no trial period ...
    I was told they are PS Audios largest client ....

I also buy to keep , not resell.... look at my sig tag 😃 .... I never let go of my gear much to my wife’s dismay .....
    Still using 30 year old gear !

Only thing I have ever gotten rid of was my klipsch kg4’s A couple months ago...

Btw , still haven’t made a decision yet ..... I’m a master procrastinator...

Bk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno Skip, demoing gear only works for those local to the dealer. How would a guy in NY demo gear from you ? You gonna ship out a 8k piece of gear to a dude you don't know across the country ?

Nope.

I'm with John, I've only bought a few pieces brand new over my whole life. Audio gear loses value too quickly to pay retail. Just my opinion there. Plus it allows me to have better gear for less coin.

….AND, eliminating competition is part of the whole idea anyway. It's the Amazon model played out in audio.

You have valid points Skip, but I think what your looking at is the "end of days" in the near future for independent audio brokers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    That's why skip likes to spend time getting to know you, try to reach a consensus on what your "sound" is and then put together the right system for you. That doesn't happen by reading online reviews and ordering the cheapest piece you can find. The used market is great if you know what you're looking for.

I feel like I have a pretty good knowledge of the internal workings of most components, and, therefore feel like I'm better than the average person in being able to pick and choose good components. However, I've often found that when mentioning a piece to Skip he has offered insight that I hadn't considered, and, thankfully saved me from possibly making a mistake.