Monitor 5 crossover mod

Options
2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    To the OP....

Take great head in the advice you have been given.

If you want to get BS advice? Keep on keepin' on with your last post. You will get what you pay for, if you will.

The best advice I can give you is that you need to greatly respect what the folks whom have responded to you have said. If you think things are snake oil? Kindly leave the forum, as you will be wasting our time and yours.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Orangeman
    Orangeman Posts: 56
    Options
    I will gladly and happily leave this forum. Bunch of sanctimonious jerks.
    F1 nut - Go to hell you **** hole.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    LMAO at you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wow...audio is snake oil, yet he comes to an audio forum for advice ? Is this the same M5's crossover he was asking about like 6 years ago ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Orangeman wrote: »
    I will gladly and happily leave this forum. Bunch of sanctimonious jerks.

Oh boy! I saw this coming. You have to read between the lines.

The fellas in the forum do their best provide free knowledge sparing you time, money and frustration.

It’s not uncommon to see people looking for help and then questioning any offered advice. That’s a bit upsetting...

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Well -- that was interesting.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Wow...audio is snake oil, yet he comes to an audio forum for advice ? Is this the same M5's crossover he was asking about like 6 years ago ?

You made me look at his post history and you're right, it's pretty much all he's talked about for the last SIX years!!! He PM'd me before posting this thread and I answered all his questions, but I guess he didn't like my answers. Oh well, his loss.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    He obviously doesn't like advice in any form. His loss.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • alandharper
    Options
    Any way I can bring this thread back?
    I just acquired a set of 5B. Polyswitch and SL200.
    I know I want to recap, but I am confused about the polyswitch and resistor.
    Replace the resistor with a mills in the same range, and jump the polyswitch?
    Seems right but I would love some confirmation
    Thanks!
  • alandharper
    Options
    Just to be clear its a single 2ohm 5 watt resistor now and a polyswitch. No fuse.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    You may need to up the resistor to a 2.5 ohm and use 10 or 12 watt resistor. Usually when the polyswitch is removed we use a .5ohm 12watt resistor in its place to make up the resistance of the polyswitch.
  • alandharper
    Options
    I was just measuring some things and was about to ask if that was correct. Is there a difference in upping the the one or breaking it in to two pieces? Seems like less is more.
  • alandharper
    Options
    And... while Im learning. What is the skinny on the tweeters. 194 vs 198. I know there is an extra mod but I cant seem to get clear on what happens there. Is it worth it to go to the 194 vs 198?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,683
    Options
    If you have good hearing, do the -198 modification.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    And... while Im learning. What is the skinny on the tweeters. 194 vs 198. I know there is an extra mod but I cant seem to get clear on what happens there. Is it worth it to go to the 194 vs 198?

The rd0198 is a darn nice tweeter, but the 194 is no slouch. Depending on how deep your pockets want to get into this, you'll need to change the inductor in both speakers. The schematic is here

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/38755/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-amp-more-all-models-except-sda#latest

gdsbkdszxurv.png

You can study these.

The SL3000 mod or now RD0198 you will need two inductors, two tweeters $60ea. and also need to change one of the quick connectors on the tweeter chassis wire and tweeter inductor on each speaker.
  • alandharper
    Options
    Well hearing from guitar playing 40+ years is not as good as I would like. I replaced the caps as listed, removed the poly switch and did a 2.7 resistor. Coil over ceramic type. Toned down the tweeter a good bit and they sound dandy to me. I have a pair of SRS 2.3 that are next on the list. Those I will be willing to spend a bit more on. I have to say, as they are they are really really good. Could it be they are still good to go?