A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    Options
    Very nice. Can you tell is where you purchased the new domes?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Very nice. Can you tell is where you purchased the new domes?

Ebay...no affiliation lol. These were the extra pair when I bought 4ea awhile back.

I just re-read most of this thread....I saw VSATs original post where his SL2000s don't even have the 8 protrusions to hasle with. So if you have 8ea of them to rebuild, you could also try the larger diameter sized ones and skip the O-ring or washer install even. They look like they'd fit in place of the Eye-shaped intermediate plate from pictures.
    I have another set of SL-2000s from a set of SDA converted Monitor 10's that I will rebuild next. These are definitely worth rebuilding as they are $10 ea when done and said. I got these IIRC, 4ea/$32 shipped.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • sansuibutch
    edited April 2019
    Options
    dpnlagpsxyae.jpg

Thank you very much. Are these the ones?
  • xschop
    Options
    Yep....you should charge your phone battery lol.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

To caught up in this thread ahhaahh. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I also have a set of monitor 10b that can use them also. Pretty excited to get it done. So do only some of the sl2000's have them little divots you had to dremel out of the new part? Seems strange they would have more versions of the sl2000.
  • xschop
    edited April 2019
    Options

To caught up in this thread ahhaahh. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I also have a set of monitor 10b that can use them also. Pretty excited to get it done. So do only some of the sl2000's have them little divots you had to dremel out of the new part? Seems strange they would have more versions of the sl2000.

Looks that way.

If these fit the I.D. of the bezel where the intermediate plate sat, then this style would work without O-rings or washers on the SL2000s that VSAT first posted a pic of....

3fg20fhthdvd.png
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I just ordered 8 diaphragms from China. The same seller as the link shows above.

I just took out 4 sl2000's I believe from my SDA-SRS2's that might benefit from the swap-out diaphragms.

It looks easy enough doesn't it?

I'll post a follow up when and if I replace the old fish eyes. I have a couple of other older ones too I believe. I might try swapping them with the new ones first. The ones I just took out weren't as bad sounding as the older ones I don't think.

This is a first for me ordering something from the other side of the World!! :o:#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    edited April 2019
    Options
    ""This is a first for me ordering something from the other side of the World!! :o:#""

No, you've just cut the middle-man out this time 😆
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options

Looks that way.

If these fit the I.D. of the bezel where the intermediate plate sat, then this style would work without O-rings or washers on the SL2000s that VSAT first posted a pic of....

3fg20fhthdvd.png

do you have a link for those? I tried rebuilding my SL2000's just because I was boored with the Chinese ones above and I didn't like how they sounded. Sure they were smoother than the 2000's but no comparison to the RDO 194's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It's the same seller. I have not tried this style, but I'd bet its the same diaphragm and coil winding.

On another note, I can't tell from the tech drawing, but a good guess says the bolt PCD (pattern) would match the SL2000/RD0194 magnet to bezel bolt pattern on these Peerless...
    I wonder how close to RD-0194 specs this tweeter would be?.....

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-bc25tg15-08-1-fabric-dome-tweeter-8-ohm--264-1442
    Post edited by xschop on
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Don't know but I have a few Vifa D26-TG's in my Snell J/III's and they sound just beautiful. I think Vifa has or had something to do with Peerless.
  • Tony M
    edited April 2019
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Looks that way.

3fg20fhthdvd.png

do you have a link for those? I tried rebuilding my SL2000's just because I was boored with the Chinese ones above and I didn't like how they sounded. Sure they were smoother than the 2000's but no comparison to the RDO 194's

I hope these new diaphragms sound good to me since I can't hear above 11khz anyway. I started to look into this project sitting at my PC and listening to FOX news too. Well I've been trying to see HOW this new diaphragm will fit into this bezel and >:) there's a lot of BS that will need to be done. More studying is in order! :#

I'm wondering if I should leave the black hard felt pad on. It would seem I need too.
    ejulwlf2vxtt.png
    u0173utclgkx.png
    2ln9qup71dra.png
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Don't worry, xschop will chime in soon ! I want to do a set too just no time right now.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I looked at this quagmire and I think it can be done with some gouging out for the new tabs to fit behind the face-plate.

Oh, the screw opening on the new silk dome plate are JUST a bit too shy of letting all 4 screws fit. So the openings of the screw holes will have to be extended JUST a bit.

I think a DREMEL tool is needed.

The new dome's coil seems to fit perfectly though. The new tweeter plate fits behind the old flange's faceplate indentation very well too.

I don't know if the screws are going to be long enough since this new silk dome has it's own flange too. I'm doubtful but hopeful.
  • xschop
    edited May 2019
    Options
    So you have the same style that VSAT posted. Can you confirm there is no intermediate plate that the dome is glued to and is removable? Mine was held tight by an anti-resonant sticky glue.
    If not then as long as you can get 3-4 turns on the screws, you should be good. Mine were metric thread FYI. So you would Mic the new flange thickness and only add that length to new ones, if getting longer.

When you enlarge dome flange holes, go large enough that the coil self-centers on the pole and the screws don't move the flange in any direction.

Also, curious what the DCR is for your old and new domes.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I already destroyed the one old SL2000 but I should be able to get a reading on another I have sitting here.

These new domes have a sticky rim holding the silk dome to the flange. I just started to lift the rim and it seemed to be easy enough to lift up.

So I could remove it and then figure how to remove the wire hook-up blades from the flange too.

But I like how the new silk dome flange fits behind the original flange too.

The new silk dome reads .6 ohms.

The old SL2000 reads .7 ohms.

• xschop
    Options
    Good deal. Mine read 6 (new) and 7 (old)
    See if when yours are bolted down if the Polk bezel hole compresses and encapsulates the new silk perimeter nicely.

o0gymg2sax8i.jpg
    fw77e1tr2dlb.jpg

• Tony M
    Options
    These old Polk tweeters have a different plate than the ones I see on this thread. :#

I haven't taken the time to do any further progress on this project today. I've been watching the Barr questioning and also went and got my hair cut and another errand.
    I'm going to buy a Dremel tool if I don't have one. I think I do... :s

Here they are;
    ohqm6qxmu9l9.png
    pt0h4z238nz8.png
    yck6paupnw7y.png
    p2mv2qr4vo1e.png
    7m09ahd6n5f1.png
    8plt3ns9gkha.png

• xschop
    Options
    From your 2nd pic, looks like you can grind out the channel flat to match the new flange prongs so it seats completely.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    How did it work out for you Tony ?
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Whats up @xschop ? Just finished another kenwood C2 restore here.96qel1eezbfg.jpg
    jk1tcxcjkdp9.jpg

u2fqjsapq309.jpg

• Tony M
    edited June 2019
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    How did it work out for you Tony ?

I want to use a "jig" to Dremel out the mounting holes the same distance. It should CENTER the voice coil perfectly every time. That's my plan anyway. ;)

I saw a small drill press w/drill plate vise jig on my Craig's list but I didn't want to pay 100.00 for it. I emailed with a lesser offer and they said no. No counter offer... :#

I thought , yea, that'll do great compared to my 6' tall drill press. I still could use my drill press of course, I just haven't done anything with these diaphragms since I took pictures. They're still sitting right here on my desk as a matter of fact. :)

My old friend and his friend wanted to learn to re-foam surrounds using his AR 410's so that took up this past week some what. I've been watering my lawn at night the past week also. I think I've saved most of it.

I think I'll have to order longer screws also. But I'll get into that after I make a successful jig for those holes to be elongated just a bit.

Every time I sit down here to look at my PC, I see the old Polk magnet assembly just a foot to my left. Believe me, I want to hear if these new tweeters sound good enough to be worth it. But 7.00 a diaphragm, how good can they be. My hearing cuts off at 10 to 11khz. so they might sound good to me. :)

They are on my to-do asap list near the top for sure!

Sorry to have gotten sidetracked so much! :#
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I have had horrible luck lining up the voicecoils. I have more than one set of RD 0194's I would like to do and I have never been able to keep them from making crazy sounds after doing them up. As far as sidetracked... Cant talk no more I just saw a Squirrel !!!
  • bcbud3
    bcbud3 Posts: 29
    Options
    Has anyone figured this out for the sl2500 tweeters?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    bcbud3 wrote: »
    Has anyone figured this out for the sl2500 tweeters?

Yes, it's called the RD0198.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcbud3
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Unfortunately, a pair of those will cost me closer to $150 (i'm in Canada and can't get across border to pick up) than the $13US shipped to my house..i think i'll risk the $13 for now
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I have never tried doing up a pair of SL 2500's so I do not think I would be able to help much. I have in the past always went with the RD0 tweeter as replacements in the long run but it was a cool project to try and rebuild the 2000's and they sound good when you are done too. I hope you find whatever info you need here in the thread to get by doing up your set. If you need help post or pm me and I will do whatever I can.
  • F1nut
    Options
    bcbud3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a pair of those will cost me closer to $150 (i'm in Canada and can't get across border to pick up) than the $13US shipped to my house..i think i'll risk the $13 for now

Like a lot of games, you have to pay to play. The RD0198 tweeters are vastly superior to your originals no matter what. Food for thought.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcbud3
    Options
    i still can't get across the border to pick up..i lose nothing trying these for now..better to have some music out of these than none (till i can get proper replacements)
  • F1nut
    Options
    You should be able to order them through the Canadian distributor.

President of Club Polk