Apollo 11

voltz
voltz Posts: 5,384
Just watch this one! a very good show that found some extra footage from 50 years ago when man man not only made it to the moon on July 20th 1969 but capture the world!

I couldn't help but re-watch "Apollo 13th" again on Blue ray after seeing this one!
2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I love that movie. I've never seen any of the BR or 4k discs. I bet they kick arse
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I watched that in boot camp in 69. The only night they let us stay up late. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2019
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I watched that in boot camp in 69. The only night they let us stay up late. :)

I got to watch the shuttle Challenger explode when I was in boot camp... and got to try and explain to my Senior DI how I knew it was going to happen. I even knew the cause of failure before the launch.: :'(:s
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Apollo 11 is excellent!
  • nooshinjohn
    Where are you guys seeing this? There are no theaters showing it that I have found.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    It may have seemed three hundred stories tall looking up at it, but only 363 feet from the nose cone to the exhaust bells of the F1’s that provided the thrust.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Still boggles my mind that even with today's technology, they CAN'T reproduce the F1... Each one was custom hand built, no 2 exactly the same.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    This is a cool site. Model building, which I was a prolific model builder 50 years ago. I never was much of a model detailer like the pros, who could paint realistic details onto parts. Sometimes I even had a hard time putting on decals... :s!

But this article on the F1 engine is pretty cool. The display shelving case that it ends up being put in has some other models I would love to have if not all of them in fact! B) I did build an Apollo Saturn Rocket ship model while in the hospital having an ear canal drained for a few days when I was 10 or so. I remember it being 1 1/2 ft. tall and had 3 stages that could be taken apart too. I remember it have the landing module in the nose cone now too. It had to be Apollo 11 if it had the landing module...right?

Can you imagine!!!! A hospital letting a 10 year old kid build a model with a tube of modeling glue today? :D Yes, I believe I was allowed to use glue to build it over those few days of recovery. They probably even allowed smoking in the rooms back then too. :D

Here is the website with the article on the F1 rocket engine model build.
    :http://www.lakecountyspaceport.com/1-20-f1-engine.html
    b6e10c3w2atp.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    It may have seemed three hundred stories tall looking up at it, but only 363 feet from the nose cone to the exhaust bells of the F1’s that provided the thrust.

Yeah, 300 feet. That’s what happens when I go from memory. Lol
  • BlueFox
    Not sure if it is the same film, but CNN is showing Apollo 11 Sunday night. It's billed as a CNN Film.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Not sure if it is the same film, but CNN is showing Apollo 11 Sunday night. It's billed as a CNN Film.

My DirectTV guide shows nothing. It is available for PPV however.

• BlueFox
    The ads have been pretty quick. I guess I'll find out Sunday, if I remember.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dromunds
    I think I saw a blu-ray pretty reasonable of the Apollo 11 that I saw in the theatre. Maybe check Amazon
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @dromunds Big screw up: Apollo 1

@nooshinjohn you should try to go to the Nixon Library. I am going to figure out how to get there before it closes. https://www.nixonlibrary.gov/events/70090
  • dromunds
    Huh? I just checked Amazon and it looks like Best Buy is offering it for $17 (can't remember if that's DVD or Bluray) and it appears to be the one that was in theaters recently. Shows it as 2019 film. It does appear to be a CNN film, so maybe its the same one CNN is showing Sunday night as BlueFox says
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Watching it now.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • BlueFox
    On CNN Sunday 6/23 at 9.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Bought the Blu-ray at Best Buy. Remarkable film, and that all this footage being brought together like this was a joy to watch. For just a little while, I was that 4 year old boy once again, pretending my grandfather's adjustable foot stool was the hatch of my very own spaceship.

Glad I got to meet Mr. Armstrong back in 2009 when they dedicated the Engineering School at Purdue... It was a humbling moment I can never forget.

• BlueFox
    I was going to watch it on TV, but I just ordered the BlueRay. The BR audio will be a lot better, and the picture too.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    My sister bought a digital copy via AppleTV I think is how we watched it but I'm still wanting the Blu-ray.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFox
    Just watched the Blue Ray, and it was freaking awesome. As a nerd, I loved every minute. As an American, I loved every minute. Two thumbs up.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    What a magnificent beast the Saturn V was compared to the Soyuz N1-L3.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    Much of Soviet/Russian aerospace looks chunky and heavy-handed next to their American counterparts. A lot of that has to do with vastly different design goals, such as mobility, landing in ungroomed fields. The Soyuz as an example, started life as an ICBM that was expected to be moved about the countryside on rails and launched anywhere. It wasn’t until later in their program that it evolved into a purpose-built spacecraft.

The American program evolved in a similar fashion at first, but the Apollo/Saturn program was purpose-built to be a manned craft from the ground up.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I found it interesting that the water spray under the F1 engines was to keep the sound wave from reflecting off the ground and bouncing up into the Saturn V rocket and destroying the rocket before it even got off the ground.

Wow who'd a thunk

• dromunds
    The Smithsonian Channel has a good show called Apollo’s Moon Shot.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Much of Soviet/Russian aerospace looks chunky and heavy-handed next to their American counterparts. A lot of that has to do with vastly different design goals, such as mobility, landing in ungroomed fields. The Soyuz as an example, started life as an ICBM that was expected to be moved about the countryside on rails and launched anywhere. It wasn’t until later in their program that it evolved into a purpose-built spacecraft.

The American program evolved in a similar fashion at first, but the Apollo/Saturn program was purpose-built to be a manned craft from the ground up.
    30 rocket engines vs 5 for the 1st stage. Most of those 30 engines were never tested prior to assembly, while every Rocketdyne F1 was. What were they thinking? All four launches ended in disaster.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited July 2019
    30 rocket engines vs 5 for the 1st stage. Most of those 30 engines were never tested prior to assembly, while every Rocketdyne F1 was. What were they thinking? All four launches ended in disaster.

They were thinking that they just didn't have the money for a proper research, test and evaluation program. They also didn't have the money for the design and implementation of proper safety features. That's one of the tragic realities of their economic and political systems.

There were also stark contrasts in the work environments of the two space programs. Everyone working on the Apollo program was there by individual choice.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueFox
    Interesting history.

Three 20 amp circuits.