Speaker question

Been out of the loop for way to long, time to get back in with something new.

Curious about the LSiA9 versus the LSiM707 by way of better sound for 2 channel music only setup.

Currently
Amp Parasound 2250 v2
Pre 2100
Crappy CD player
Basic cables
SDS SRS
Room 16 X 22
2 chairs, I ottoman, nothing on walls
Various music, mostly rock/hard rock
$1000 to $5000 budget

Doesn't have to be Polk but I do have soft spot for them.

I don't crank the volume anymore "too much."

Visually, the 6X9 drivers in the 707's remind me of rear deck car speakers.

Am concerned about distance from rear walls and toe in situations.

The days of possibly jumping in the rabbit hole are over for me, just want something new that sounds good for music.

Thanks all
David

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Do you mean RTiA9??? If so, LSiM all day for two channel. I wouldn’t even consider the reference theater line for two channel; those tweeters are grating unless you spend a lot of dough taking them like @F1nut has...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Dammit.

Yep meant RTiA9.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Agreed LSIM over the RTI ay day of the week.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Are the Adorama deals still on? Tremendous deals on LSiM (w/ free shipping)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    upgrade crappy cd player and call skip.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Sounds like it’s time to make some DIY sound panels!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker

I got enough problems typing so a DIY is out of the question :D
  • oldrocker
    Talked to Jim at Audio Advisor, they have some Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers he recommends.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I'd look at Monitor Audio, KEF, and Dali, all are brands I've heard and VERY much like.
    I've not actually heard any new Polks other than the T series, which is not what you are looking at. :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    oldrocker wrote: »

I got enough problems typing so a DIY is out of the question :D

Then head to ATC Acoustics website and order some. Might be able to save on shipping as they are based in Springfield IL IIRC...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    Well RATS!

Spoke to a Mike at polk and he said the 707 is being discontinued and can not be purchased through polk.

He recommended adorama as they still have some. Never bought from that place.

Anyone have problems purchasing items through adorama?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I've bought camera stuff from Adorama (and B&H) -- no problems with either.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    My LSiM703s and LSiM FXs came super fast from adorama with no damage. Buy with confidence!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    Thanks.

It's either polk's or monitor audio. Just gotta decide which.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Adorama is Polk's authorized online retailer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’ve also had good experiences on several occasions
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Had great experiences with Adorama. Great customer service the one time I needed it.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Adorama rawks :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • oldrocker
    Tried the Reva 4's, Kef Q950's and now on the Monitor Audio 500's.

The Kefs went back, did not work for on the mids for me. Never developed a blend, if that makes sense. Had close to 80 hrs on them. Probably needed more time....

The 4's were horrible at start and I almost sent them back also but since giving them more hours, they seem to blend better than I expected. The bass seems to be coming out better also.

Soundstage on the 4's has been a trial and error as the slightest toe in here/there really makes a diff.

Safe to say I HATE room layouts you can't alter much.

The 500's seem somewhat better at only the 40-50 hour period. Mids and highs have tapered off but the bass has not got there yet.

AA has some Martin Logan 60xt's I want to try. I've never had anything with a folded tweeter, know nothing bout them. Have read they take up to 150 hours to settle in. More of a dome style tweeter guy only due to lack of experience.

I am still planning on visiting a place in Indy that has some Sonus Faber.

This is all subjective I know, just taking a different approach.

I did speak to westmassguy before I had the electrical mother nature ugly head rearing, so that's an option also.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Lets see...your a rock fan, love the mids and lower bass, decent size room....

Check out Legacy speakers. If you can find an older pair of Legacy Focus 20/20's, you might crap your shorts at the lower bass and mids they put out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lets see...your a rock fan, love the mids and lower bass, decent size room....

Check out Legacy speakers. If you can find an older pair of Legacy Focus 20/20's, you might crap your shorts at the lower bass and mids they put out.

Certainly would like to get my ears on some. Legacy seems to have lots of good comments about user satisfaction.

Kinda hard to get the whole try em for 30-60 days.

Do the 20/20's have that folded tweeter thing?

• oldrocker
    Audio mart has a set for 2200.

Says 7 out of 10 on condition. No boxes, manual with some bumps and bruises.
    Located in Ohio which is an easy drive from IN.

Might call Legacy to see if 20/20's are something they could work on if any repairs are needed.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    They do and they don't. When I had my legacy and had questions on replacement parts or repaid of a midrange, they referred me to meniscus audio if the mid needed a rebuild.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Might call Legacy to see if 20/20's are something they could work on if any repairs are needed.

Anyone could work on them, just the same as buying older Polk speakers. 2200 is a bit high if you ask me, I'd offer 1800. Mine were close to mint and I sold for 1600, on the low side I know, but given the condition of 7/10, 1800 seems fair.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    Get this in the right place.

Did send back the 500's & the 4's.

Got one of these today.
    Wharfedale diamond 11.5's.

I know the pics suxjucn0whlxv2p.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    My little hifi garret is photography-hostile in terms of lighting, too -- if that makes you feel any better. :|
  • oldrocker
    I want my camera back, my old beater computer back.

Darn lightning strike.

And tomorrow I'm supposed to decide on a car for the wife.

I CAN'T WIN!!!!
  • mhardy6647
    16134309809_954627a2da_h.jpgNikon F micro mono by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Enjoy the car shoppin' :)
    It's certainly one of my least favorite activities in the whole scope of human endeavor. :|
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Get this in the right place.

Did send back the 500's & the 4's.

Got one of these today.
    Wharfedale diamond 11.5's.

I know the pics suxjucn0whlxv2p.jpg

TL those 2B's along with the rest of the mods and you'll stop looking.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    I have no doubt being modded they'd satisfy most things.

For me, my only issue is the visuals of the SDA polks. Not that I hate em, just not quite my favorite.

Not sure what it is specifically about the visuals for me but meh, I'm glad I own some and I don't plan on selling them anytime soon.

Now the Sonus Fabre visually works for me for some reason.