AQ Rocket 33

Hello,

Just scored a set off CL for $100. The are the bi-wire rocket 33.

Should I use them in the stock bi-wire or change them to full range.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    It you have 4 binding post on each speaker use them.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yeah, I think I might just use them in bi-wire.

I can't figure out how to get the AQ stock banana off. It's pressed on some how and no set screw nothing I can see on how to remove the cover.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    mrloren wrote: »

I can't figure out how to get the AQ stock banana off. It's pressed on some how and no set screw nothing I can see on how to remove the cover.

Cold welded with 10 tons of pressure. Cutting them is the only way I know.
    Do not go to that extreme..... yet.
  • mrloren

Cold welded with 10 tons of pressure. Cutting them is the only way I know.
    Do not go to that extreme..... yet.

No it's the plastic cover I can't figure how to get off. the banana's under are set screwed.

I emailed AQ see if they will assist at all.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    FIRE
    lol
    Have you tried unscrewing? Maybe its just the interconnects that are cold welded. I'm sorry i thought that was across the board from factory.
    They are pretty responsive I've called and emailed
  • mrloren
    it looks like the plastic cover is pressed on somehow. I'll see what they say if the respond tomorrow. If not I will cut and put on some sure grip 300 connectors.

If I do have to cut and replace the speaker end banana's I'll be into Rocket 33 for $140 not bad
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Pffft....gots me a Rocket 88.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    F1nut wrote: »

awe man, F1Nut broke wind
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Wafted all the way out there, eh
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited May 2019
    F1nut wrote: »

Hot Rod LINCOLN, and a Rocket in my Pocket!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2019
    I’ve got a single Rocket 33 not bi-wire if you need one for a center channel. It’s roughly 5ft.

Rednedtugent sent it to me a few years back, and I no longer need it. Yours if you want it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
  • mrloren
    I’ve got a single Rocket 33 not bi-wire if you need one for a center channel. It’s roughly 5ft.

Rednedtugent sent it to me a few years back, and I no longer need it. Yours if you want it.

PM sent and thank you very much.

The stock banana is crimped/pressed on, impossible to remove. I cut them and made them into full range using AQ SureGrip 300 BFA (there went that gift card).

I had time to install them today. Nice sound with a more smooth top end. A tad warmer with a smig better mid's. Rush 2112 will be tomorrow, the true test for me.

Cheers

L
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    The Rocket 33's are really nice speaker wires. I have a few pairs of them myself. I also have Rocket 44's which my entire theater system is wired in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2019

The stock banana is crimped/pressed on, impossible to remove. I cut them and made them into full range using AQ SureGrip 300 BFA (there went that gift card).

I had time to install them today. Nice sound with a more smooth top end. A tad warmer with a smig better mid's. Rush 2112 will be tomorrow, the true test for me.

Cheers

L

Replied.

I’ll send it as ASAP as possible. :)
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren

Cheers

L

Replied.

I’ll send it as ASAP as possible. :)

You're awesome thank you,

Had the time for some good listening today. Rush 2112 Pink Floyd WYWH (SACD) and Heart Dog and Butterfly. Just fantastic. such smooth highs with a punchy mid bass. Vocals come through very clear.

2112 Overture goes all over the place sound wise. not once @ -15db did it seem to be screaming or harsh.
  • mrloren
    This morning I did the A/B test with Type-4. I changed the right speaker back while everyone was asleep. While we were having our breakfast I played some Angus and Julia Stone. Wow imaging was way off as with the sound. Everyone was like what the heck what did you do? I let it play for a bit then went to some Elton... oh no it sounded way off. Left speaker had better mids with a nice soft high end. Right speaker was flatter with a crisper high, mids not as punchy. I changed it back to the rocket 33 and put Elton back on. Two aerospace engineers wife and son all said the rocket sounds way better... so it's not just me.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Aerospace engineers have better ears? Or are they just partial to rockets??
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Not sure how aerospace engineers hear better... but I will agree, rockets beat type 4
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Friend has rocket 88 and then borrowed my Aspens. He asked if I was selling them. Haha
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrloren
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Aerospace engineers have better ears? Or are they just partial to rockets??

Well they both went through high school and college playing in several Orchestra's. That plus their level of intelligence gives me a better opinion.

I'm into these for less that $200 and am going to enjoy them for a long time.
  • mrloren
    @jeremymarcinko sent me a short (5') for my canter speaker. What a guy.

We binged the last 1/2 of True Detective last night. Talk about taming a CSi-A6. Vocals deeper cleaner and smoother.

Hmm Venom has a great vocal track, maybe tonight. I still need to run Audyssey again.

Cheers

Loren