SDA SRS 3.1TL

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Which guy? I'm confused.

And how much have you had to drink tonight? (I've only had 10 oz's so far (of vodka))
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Which guy? I'm confused.

And how much have you had to drink tonight? (I've only had 10 oz's so far (of vodka))

I Do not drink.
  • audioluvr
    I'm sorry. I forgot. Try ginkgo. Works for me, I think
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You don't use the disks on carpet. Those are only for hard flooring

Excellent point.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Ha! I see what you did there....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    JayCee wrote: »
    Turning this into an outrigger thread....

My house was built around 1915 and the mancave is on the second floor. Floors slope just enough from the side walls that leveling my 1.2tl's was a PITA with the once popular (on this forum) Myspikes.

Have toyed with getting outriggers for several years. Not cheap but purchased my set from Soundocity in Oregon. These things are beefy. My 1.2's have the super large/heavy upgraded SDA inductors inside, estimate each speaker over 200 lbs, and no problem for the outriggers.

Paul, from Soundocity, suggested running the outriggers from front to back and I opted for the nickel cones...sit on Herbies brass decoupling gliders. The tension spring and soft knob is smooth and makes leveling a breeze! With Herbies the speakers are easy to move and they helped to tightened up the bass. Combo looks nice, too.

https://soundocity.com/product/outriggers-with-brass-cones/

foon8ojwegya.jpg
    5q1mywn9gpyt.jpg
    2m7rldcw7l9w.jpg

That look really really nice!
    I've been all over the SoundCity website. Great stuff but man their expensive.

No worries on the thread...any and all SDA upgrades and mods welcome.
    Keep them coming...

I built bass traps today... I'll be back working on the 3.1's soon..
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Spikes...on discs.

Woof.
  • ddog
    edited March 2019
    ddog wrote: »
    I tried to get in on the group buy but the guy never sent me his info...

Which guy? I'm confused. What info?

@Toolfan66 ....PayPal info...for the group buy...

I don't drink either..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I tried to get in on the group buy but the guy never sent me his info...

Which guy? I'm confused. What info?

@Toolfan66 ....PayPal info...

I don't drink either..

So you need a case then is that correct? Do you have the torrid?
  • ddog
    Yes ...I figured it was a very nice case for the money and I'd fill it as I go.
    Itll all work out in time tho
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    F1nut wrote: »

Excellent point.
    Currently, they work and it does sounds better. May be contrary to prevailing thought but I respectfully disagree. Have moved many times in the past 10 years, so lots of experience w/many different floors and configurations. My system sounds better than ever.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861

There are 3? still available, but you'll have to wait a bit as Larry's busy with other projects. Once he's caught up, it shouldn't be an issue to get one sent out.
  • ddog
    FestYboy wrote: »

There are 3? still available, but you'll have to wait a bit as Larry's busy with other projects. Once he's caught up, it shouldn't be an issue to get one sent out.

Hey thanks for the info...
    I put my "I'll take one" in on March 8th...just need PP info...(post 102 on 2nd page) but nothing.

I'm sure he just got busy and overlooked me.
    It's all good as I'm not in any real hurry anyways.

• F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »

Excellent point.
    Currently, they work and it does sounds better. May be contrary to prevailing thought but I respectfully disagree. Have moved many times in the past 10 years, so lots of experience w/many different floors and configurations. My system sounds better than ever.

Did you try them both ways, spiked through the carpet and floating as you have them now?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    edited March 2019
    @F1nut, absolutely. Have tested both ways and spent considerable time listening to both since last fall (and in previous years). I agree, in my past spiked through carpet was the bees knees. Having moved so often I'm well versed at redialing in my system.

Also, I'm not categorically saying this will work for everyone. My initial thought is the speakers are very heavy, over 200 lbs. as modified, and I wonder if the load contributes to the so called synergy. Carpet isn't so plush and because of the weight is super compressed. I recall some debate a while back regarding the theory of decoupling a speaker from the floor. Not debating pros and cons but perhaps this is why it works.

I should have qualified my last response by saying, as so often stated on this forum, try it out...what does anyone have to lose? In my situation, it does make a positive difference and I'm only speaking to my experience.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    Ok, thanks.

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Turning this into an outrigger thread....

My house was built around 1915 and the mancave is on the second floor. Floors slope just enough from the side walls that leveling my 1.2tl's was a PITA with the once popular (on this forum) Myspikes.

Have toyed with getting outriggers for several years. Not cheap but purchased my set from Soundocity in Oregon. These things are beefy. My 1.2's have the super large/heavy upgraded SDA inductors inside, estimate each speaker over 200 lbs, and no problem for the outriggers.

Paul, from Soundocity, suggested running the outriggers from front to back and I opted for the nickel cones...sit on Herbies brass decoupling gliders. The tension spring and soft knob is smooth and makes leveling a breeze! With Herbies the speakers are easy to move and they helped to tightened up the bass. Combo looks nice, too.

https://soundocity.com/product/outriggers-with-brass-cones/

foon8ojwegya.jpg
    5q1mywn9gpyt.jpg
    2m7rldcw7l9w.jpg

Those outriggers do look nice on the SDA's
  • JayCee
    edited March 2019
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Those outriggers do look nice on the SDA's

Thanks, I really like them. My goal was to widen the stance, ease leveling and look good. The stock posts, and then upgraded spikes installed in the factory positions, were always tippy. Outriggers really move the weight distribution. Soundocity offers a corner based outrigger that I really wanted...

https://soundocity.com/product/corner-outrigger/

...but they recommended against it based on the weight of the speaker. The design would support the weight but didn't trust the mounting points. Might try them on my 1C's.
  • ddog
    Ok.. a little update on the mods to the theater..
    I built some riser boxes to get the 3.1's a little higher off the floor and more in line with the cc speaker.
    I built them out of 3/4" MDF sealed all the joints, filled with Rock wool, wrapped with acustic padding and cloth.
    Install spikes for feet.

I also pulled down the screen removed the the 11tl's from their custom cabinets I built. After figuring out the volume needed for the 15tl's I noticed that I had to do was remove/relocate the the internal walls of the cabinet. Then make a new front baffle to add the extra drivers and I was golden.

I put it all back together re-hung the screen and fired it up....sounded really good.

I ran a few passes with ARC (Anthem Room Correction) of the Anthem avm60 and MAN!!! did it really come alive!!
    The 8 mw drivers along with 2 tweeters being powered by an Emo XPA-2 can really talk.

The theater now has a total of 38... 6.5" mid woofers...includes the left & right, cc, 4 surrounds and 4 Atmos speakers.t383zbg2yu4n.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Trey's eye candy again! Very NICE!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Hmmmmmm those look familiar!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ddog
    Ok so it looks like I'll be receiving VR3's complete crossover over upgrade kit next week and I'll be back it with my SRS 3.1TL build journey.

I have the Hurricane nuts, Allen bolts, No-Rez dampening and the Zynamat Xtreme in hand. I'm just waiting on the crossovers to arrive now. Oh... cabinets are already sealed and 198 tweeters installed.

I have a quick question...
    The Dynamat, do you only apply it to just the legs of the baskets on the drivers.?
    Or is there other places I should apply it also..?

Thanks in advance.

3rl43iqain9n.jpg
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    1lsqhkywr099.jpg
    I copied this from toolfan66 post and used it as a guide in the past. Looking forward to your posts as I just got a set of these as well.
  • ddog
    That's perfect..thanks.
    I wasn't sure if they were putting it up by the magnet but your picture clearly shows it.
  • ddog
    edited June 2019
    I've finally finished my 3.1 build.
    Received the new "works of art" crossovers from Vr3 last week. Over the weekend I got them mounted along with the No-Rez, Hurricane nuts, Allen bolts, installed washers behind the bolt holes on the 198 tweeters and added Dynamate on all the drivers.
    They sound every bit as wonderful as everyone said they would.

Big thanks to all with providing me all the information and help along the way in my journey of building these wonderful speakers...

This forum is a great wealth of information and knowledge.
    Now let the burn in on these crossovers and many hours of enjoyment begin.

Thanks again

Steve
    Post edited by ddog on
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Awesome! Need pics!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ddog
    edited June 2019
    VR3 wrote: »
    Awesome! Need pics!

rud3wznvyzp4.jpg
    1dx7q8rt71su.jpg

After going round and round about where to put the crossover I decided to just put it on the floor of the cabinet like all the others I've seen here. No one had anything negative to say about it so why not...right.

I put the big coil up just above the terminal plate on the same side as the SDA drive.
    Didn't want anything right behind the PR.

I put some No-Rez on top over the crossover.

You did some beautiful work on the crossovers, to bad nobody can see them.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Gorgeous - looking forward to your listening impressions.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)