Cambridge CXN streaming Tidal Masters

jayman_1975jayman_1975 Posts: 676
edited May 12 in Going Digital
I recently picked up a CXN which is capable of playing 24bit/192 files. When I use the Cambridge Stream app every song I stream shows in the app as playing at 16/44.1. Even songs that are supposed to be Masters. Can anyone explain why I only get 16bit streaming on this CXN?

I just noticed that the CXN doesn’t support MQA. Does that mean it won’t stream master recordings?
Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
Arcam CD37
Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
Vandersteen V2W

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,216
    I'll forward your question directly to Cambridge for a 'complete' response. I don't want to speak out of turn here.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,484
    From what little I have read, mqa sounds like a compete money grab.
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • jayman_1975jayman_1975 Posts: 676
    Ok I have figured it out. The CXN won’t stream 24/96 cause it doesn’t have the required hardware for MQA. Now, if I stream it via my laptop and connect USB into the CXN I get 96 kHz. So the answer to the question about if the CXN will play Tidal Masters......yes. But you have to stream it on a pc.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,090
    Or use quboz. Their high rez are not mqa. They are straight up high rez.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,975
    Can u cast it from your iPhone or android using the app on the phone which now supports MQA? That would be similar to the computer except, you know, ya don’t have to bother with a computer...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,240
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Can u cast it from your iPhone or android using the app on the phone which now supports MQA? That would be similar to the computer except, you know, ya don’t have to bother with a computer...

Correct. This is the procedure you have to use in order to "stream" MQA from the CXN.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,216
    Here is the official response - it mirrors what has been said:

In terms of the built in Tidal integration, the CXN can only play the CD quality FLAC files that Tidal has due to the fact that the CXN doesn’t support MQA. That being said, you can use the Tidal Music desktop app on a PC or Mac through a USB Audio connection to the CXN. This will give you access to the Tidal Masters service and access to MQA content, which is currently unavailable through the Cambridge Connect app.

To enable playback, connect a USB A to B cable between your PC or Mac and the CXN and select “USB Audio” as the desired digital input through the CXN’s interface.

Personally I think that approach negates any potential benefit of MQA.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Correct. This is the procedure you have to use in order to "stream" MQA from the CXN.

Problem with that is once I AirPlay the Master file to the CXN it’s restricted to 16/44.1 anyways so I’m not gaining anything. Playing from my PC via USB into the CXN is the way it works properly.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
    Problem with that is once I AirPlay the Master file to the CXN it’s restricted to 16/44.1 anyways so I’m not gaining anything. Playing from my PC via USB into the CXN is the way it works properly.

I apologize, I gave you incorrect information. I thought it could be done wirelessly but apparently not.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,602
    edited May 14
    Hmm
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u

I apologize, I gave you incorrect information. I thought it could be done wirelessly but apparently not.

Don’t get me wrong. It sounds great, just wondering how much I’m missing by not being able to stream Master files. I’m not hearing a bunch difference when I play them through my PC via USB to the CXN.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
    I would argue that you're "missing" more by choosing to use MQA versus not using it. But I'm trying to avoid this thread turning into an anti-MQA debate.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,602
    Someone around here use to say..F MQA
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    I would argue that you're "missing" more by choosing to use MQA versus not using it. But I'm trying to avoid this thread turning into an anti-MQA debate.

Interesting. Ok. Sounds like there’s no point in worrying about if then. Cheers.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Okay not to sound like an idiot here (again) but what is MQA? Is it a digital format? Who uses it? What does Tidal use? How many freaking formats are there anyways? Should I be concerned? Should I care?
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Okay not to sound like an idiot here (again) but what is MQA? Is it a digital format? Who uses it? What does Tidal use? How many freaking formats are there anyways? Should I be concerned? Should I care?

Probably post in a new thread or get your read on. We have discussed is before.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    Will do. Just lazy today...
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
    Will do. Just lazy today...

Didn’t mean to be short! Just didn’t wanna set drew or joe off with my mouth 🤮. And it’s about as agreeable a topic as cables 😝
    HT Rig:
    ;
    Master Bedroom
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 558

Everybody at Stereophile that are counting their bribe payments.
    Ok so let’s talk about this. The CXN is supposed to be a mid to lower end streamer but better than entry. If some of you are saying that MQA is a waste of time and that HiFI is as good as anyone would want, then if I’m Air Playing HIFI Tidal files via my IPhone to my CXN, would you say there should be any difference than if I’m streaming right from the CXN? Both are 16/44./ CD quality. And if one should be better, then how revealing of a system would you need to realize those differences? I’m not using the DAC in the CXN so wouldn’t you think that both should be the same quality?
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W