Cambridge CXN streaming Tidal Masters

jayman_1975
jayman_1975 Posts: 672
edited May 2019 in Going Digital
I recently picked up a CXN which is capable of playing 24bit/192 files. When I use the Cambridge Stream app every song I stream shows in the app as playing at 16/44.1. Even songs that are supposed to be Masters. Can anyone explain why I only get 16bit streaming on this CXN?

I just noticed that the CXN doesn’t support MQA. Does that mean it won’t stream master recordings?
Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
Arcam CD37
Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
Vandersteen V2W

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    From what little I have read, mqa sounds like a compete money grab.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jayman_1975
    Ok I have figured it out. The CXN won’t stream 24/96 cause it doesn’t have the required hardware for MQA. Now, if I stream it via my laptop and connect USB into the CXN I get 96 kHz. So the answer to the question about if the CXN will play Tidal Masters......yes. But you have to stream it on a pc.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Or use quboz. Their high rez are not mqa. They are straight up high rez.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Can u cast it from your iPhone or android using the app on the phone which now supports MQA? That would be similar to the computer except, you know, ya don’t have to bother with a computer...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Can u cast it from your iPhone or android using the app on the phone which now supports MQA? That would be similar to the computer except, you know, ya don’t have to bother with a computer...

Correct. This is the procedure you have to use in order to "stream" MQA from the CXN.
  • jayman_1975
    Clipdat wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Correct. This is the procedure you have to use in order to "stream" MQA from the CXN.

Problem with that is once I AirPlay the Master file to the CXN it’s restricted to 16/44.1 anyways so I’m not gaining anything. Playing from my PC via USB into the CXN is the way it works properly.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Clipdat
    Problem with that is once I AirPlay the Master file to the CXN it’s restricted to 16/44.1 anyways so I’m not gaining anything. Playing from my PC via USB into the CXN is the way it works properly.

I apologize, I gave you incorrect information. I thought it could be done wirelessly but apparently not.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited May 2019
  • jayman_1975

I apologize, I gave you incorrect information. I thought it could be done wirelessly but apparently not.

Don’t get me wrong. It sounds great, just wondering how much I’m missing by not being able to stream Master files. I’m not hearing a bunch difference when I play them through my PC via USB to the CXN.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Clipdat
    I would argue that you're "missing" more by choosing to use MQA versus not using it. But I'm trying to avoid this thread turning into an anti-MQA debate.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Someone around here use to say..F MQA
  • jayman_1975
    I would argue that you're "missing" more by choosing to use MQA versus not using it. But I'm trying to avoid this thread turning into an anti-MQA debate.

Interesting. Ok. Sounds like there’s no point in worrying about if then. Cheers.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Okay not to sound like an idiot here (again) but what is MQA? Is it a digital format? Who uses it? What does Tidal use? How many freaking formats are there anyways? Should I be concerned? Should I care?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Okay not to sound like an idiot here (again) but what is MQA? Is it a digital format? Who uses it? What does Tidal use? How many freaking formats are there anyways? Should I be concerned? Should I care?

Probably post in a new thread or get your read on. We have discussed is before.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Will do. Just lazy today...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    Will do. Just lazy today...

Didn’t mean to be short! Just didn’t wanna set drew or joe off with my mouth 🤮. And it’s about as agreeable a topic as cables 😝
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065

Everybody at Stereophile that are counting their bribe payments.
  • jayman_1975
    Ok so let’s talk about this. The CXN is supposed to be a mid to lower end streamer but better than entry. If some of you are saying that MQA is a waste of time and that HiFI is as good as anyone would want, then if I’m Air Playing HIFI Tidal files via my IPhone to my CXN, would you say there should be any difference than if I’m streaming right from the CXN? Both are 16/44./ CD quality. And if one should be better, then how revealing of a system would you need to realize those differences? I’m not using the DAC in the CXN so wouldn’t you think that both should be the same quality?
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W