Anyone into watches/timepieces?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I don’t typically recommend online as a local AD helps with issues if any arise.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Depends on the brand of watch you want. Omega dealers can typically come very close to matching grey market pricing. I’ve used jomashop in the past and had no issues but there’s is nothing like the piece of mind of the manufacturers warranty vice a crappy third party one
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Joey_V
    I agree
    It depends

If I’m buying a $10,000 Rolex, I would rather do it at a brick and mortar store where I can likely get a discount and have support, polishing, etc. And then use that business relationship to obtain jewelry for the wife etc.

Than try to save a grand at a no-face online dealer
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    I always wanted Carrera Day Date, picked this up last month:

1mmxuu1d0haf.jpeg
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Love that watch. Almost bought one a few months back. Spent my extra coin on audio gear instead.
  • Joey_V
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Super stoked to bring this home today!
    pj42wd47peo0.jpg

I gotta say, this buy was a great one.

I just checked, resale for a brand new condition SS Daytona white with ceramic bezel is insane...

$22,000!!!

My GMTIIC is looking like it is hitting $12,000 and my previous model SS Daytona is hitting $18,000... but $22K for a stainless... wow.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Yea. SS Rolex sport models are all nutty now. Most ADs (supposedly worldwide) have almost zero stock.

This Daytona is only my second Rolex so far, but with aftermarket values doing what they are, it won't be my last. My other one is a GMTii Batman that is also currently worth twice what I gave for it. Of course the aftermarket value will never do me any real good, unless I can find a way to part with them. lol
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Joey_V
    Yea. SS Rolex sport models are all nutty now. Most ADs (supposedly worldwide) have almost zero stock.

This Daytona is only my second Rolex so far, but with aftermarket values doing what they are, it won't be my last. My other one is a GMTii Batman that is also currently worth twice what I gave for it. Of course the aftermarket value will never do me any real good, unless I can find a way to part with them. lol

Yes the Batman are now 15,000$+.

My black GMT hits 12,000$. Bought it for $6700 in 2010.

My SS Daytona black hits $19000, bought for $9250 in 2010.

The only lackluster performers are my
    SS Sub w date which hits about $7000 and I bought for $4500 in 2005.

And the Milgauss GV which I purchased for $6500 but sells for about the same, purchased 2009.

I should’ve bought the Batman when they were plentiful, should’ve bought the Sub Kermit and Sub Hulk... ugh, so many mistakes and missed opportunities!

I just sent my Chicago jeweler an email this morning inquiring on the new Daytona. I would buy it and flip it.

• stangman67
    My dad has both the Kermit and hulk, as well as a James Cameron Deep sea. The subs are already worth twice what he paid for them new. Pretty crazy

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    Here's my little affordable watch collection. Most have the correct time and new batteries. Some need new batteries. The swiss army "Anthem" watch in the middle needs a battery. :# I didn't see many of these watches for years. I thought they were sold at one of our yard-sales by mistake. I thought I hid them in a pair of sneakers when we went on a vacation years ago and then sold those sneakers at a yard-sale. I also saw two of the exact same watches I lost at a Pawn shop. That is weird that they were there and mine were here at the same time. What are those odds!!?

Anyway, I wear the silver Fossil "Blue" with the black face the most. It's second from the right. It's super heavy! I paid 7.00 for it at Goodwill MANY years ago. :p

lom9w6ez523o.png
    pvttlskhscak.png

OLD ones that need TLC or something... :#
    vnd4d75rfpzc.png

I now rotate these whenever. I just had batteries put in 5 watches a month or two ago after I found them.
    273ae2ll47is.png
    i6oh7a7eb279.png
    1edndn742fot.png
    z4lzebxsfq9e.png

These two on the left have faceted crystals. One's a Seiko, the other a Quasar. These are my FIRST watch purchases. I was probably 20 or 22 then. You can see I wore the silver one for years at work. They have med. size to them compared to the massive sized of today or even 20 years ago when the sizes started to increase. The gold Pulsar was for going out whenever I did go out.
    vzd420v9zuua.png

This Nixon was a yard-sale purchase. 7.00 or 5.00. It's a NICE watch too.
    dcudqm49925c.png

I also have a Japanese movement FAKE Rolex that's very nice too. But a band pin is missing and I haven't been able to wear it yet. It's a 200.00 copy but these Japan movement Rolex copies have a great following with great reviews. Rolex's for us common folk... :D

I also bought a UNCW watch at Goodwill for 7.00 but I didn't take a pic. of it. Here's a pic from the web. It's heavy and high quality too. They sell for about 100.00+.
    I couldn't find one on the web. Maybe I'll take a picture of it later.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    Do you store all your watches in the stove?
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • Joey_V
    stangman67 wrote: »
    My dad has both the Kermit and hulk, as well as a James Cameron Deep sea. The subs are already worth twice what he paid for them new. Pretty crazy

Insane.

I should’ve bought the Kermit and the hulk when they first came out.

I’m an idiot!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I’d like to ask for recommendations from those who are into watches. Looking for an “affordable” watch, possibly Shinola or Revolution Watch. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • stangman67
    How much is affordable? I’m partial to Hamilton at the entry level mechanical watch price point

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    Do you store all your watches in the stove?

The wife and I take pictures of things on it every once in a while to post things for sale. Just an old habit.

We're reheating fried chicken in it now. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • maxward
    Under a grand +/-.
  • maxward
    The Revolution Diver is $799, for example.
  • stangman67
    I personally would save a bit more and pick up an Oris aquis

• cmy330go
    Joey_V wrote: »

Yes the Batman are now 15,000$+.

My black GMT hits 12,000$. Bought it for $6700 in 2010.

My SS Daytona black hits $19000, bought for $9250 in 2010.

The only lackluster performers are my
    SS Sub w date which hits about $7000 and I bought for $4500 in 2005.

And the Milgauss GV which I purchased for $6500 but sells for about the same, purchased 2009.

I should’ve bought the Batman when they were plentiful, should’ve bought the Sub Kermit and Sub Hulk... ugh, so many mistakes and missed opportunities!

I just sent my Chicago jeweler an email this morning inquiring on the new Daytona. I would buy it and flip it.

I hear ya. I drug my feet for some time before buying my first, and regret almost every one I passed on. Of course this was before things went crazy, but still, lets be honest, for the most part, no Rolex is a bad bet, as long as you've done your research.

FWIW, I have gotten the impression that ADs are getting super sensitive towards individuals that they think might flip a piece. Supposedly some have gone as far as requiring that you buy a separate less desirable piece before they will sell you the sought-after one. A pretty crappy tactic IMO, but somewhat understandable considering the ridiculous market.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • cmy330go
    maxward wrote: »
    I’d like to ask for recommendations from those who are into watches. Looking for an “affordable” watch, possibly Shinola or Revolution Watch. Any suggestions would be welcome.

IMO steer clear of Shinola. They seem to be a company that just wants to capitalize on the premise that they are a "Detroit/Made in the USA" company, when in reality, they may have presence there, but they are sourcing product from many places, and passing it off as if it's from good ol' Detroit.

Also, I believe they only offer quartz (battery powered) watches. FWIW very few quartz watches retain any value, and/or are respected amongst watch lovers. That's not to say that if you absolutely love the style or design of a quartz watch, and don't care if it has any residual value, that you shouldn't buy it. Ultimately a watch is a fashion accessory, and if you love it... buy it.

It's usually best to buy what's referred to as a "mechanical, automatic or manual" watch from a reputable brand. These are watches that are wound either by spinning the crown (manual), or more commonly have a mechanism that winds the watch from the movement of your arm throughout the day (automatic).

There are plenty of mechanical options in the price range you mentioned. Some brands you might consider are: Tissot, Seiko, Oris, Hamilton, Orient, Ball, Alpina, etc... Be aware that some of these sell both quartz, and mechanicals.

Hope this helps. If not... I blame the alcohol. lol
    HT

2 CH
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Some nice watches being discussed.

@stangman67 that Omega is a great looking watch. In fact I had to stop by the local watch dealer yesterday and check it out.

@Joey_V that Daytona is a real show stopper.

I know this is not a for sale thread but if anyone is interested in a Omega Seamasster Professional shoot me a message.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • maxward
    Thanks, @stangman67 and @cmy330go, and everyone else who might chime in. I’ll definitely check out some of the brands recommended. Some beautiful watches have been shown here.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Sent my Breitling off for repair today. My local AD is having a watch event in early June, which apparently includes 100+ estate pieces. Anything old, nice, but not ridiculously expensive I should be looking for? Definitely going to add one if there’s anything reasonable, and appreciate the advice about not shopping online.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Good luck with the service. Sent my Omega off in November 18 and got it back a month or so ago.
  • stangman67
    tratliff wrote: »

@stangman67 that Omega is a great looking watch. In fact I had to stop by the local watch dealer yesterday and check it out.

I know this is not a for sale thread but if anyone is interested in a Omega Seamasster Professional shoot me a message.

Well what didn’t you think of the new Seamaster?!?

• lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    edited May 2019
    A couple Perpetual daily drivers. Both solar.
    0dwj9zv7bp8l.jpg
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651

Maybe I mislead with my comment. I thought the new Omega was awesome. The one I’m thinking of letting go is one I have had for about 10 years.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    I guess here’s my every day beater that just doubled in value... didn’t think I was wearing a $15,000 piece... pretty cool if you ask me.

sjfshscm71yw.jpeg
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2019
    I usually trend the resale market just so I have a clue to what the watches are doing. Got too busy with life so I stopped monitoring the resale market for a couple years. The GMTIIC was ALWAYS sluggish in gaining value... but then just jumped a couple months ago.

But it’s not like I can take advantage of the increased equity as it’s not like I’m selling any time soon anyway (knock on wood).

But it’s still pretty cool to know that the favorite watch in my collection has been appropriately valued by my contemporaries.
  • stangman67
    edited May 2019

Maybe I mislead with my comment. I thought the new Omega was awesome. The one I’m thinking of letting go is one I have had for about 10 years.

We’re on the same page, just wondering what you thought after checking it out in person