Small Form Factor Power Amp - Suggestions?

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited May 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
So I'm looking to upgrade my office rig.

Currently I'm running a Marantz CD-1 and the matching AMP-1, which I love. And a pair of Acoustic Technologies single driver floor standing speakers, with a SVS PB12 Plus sub. I am really happy with this setup, but:

I recently upgraded my DAC (NS Intenso), and tube pre-amp (EAR 834L) downstairs in the basement rig. I would like to use these upstairs in the office, both are small form factor, and they are just too nice to just sit on the shelf! :smile:

Any suggestions for a small form factor amp? Even monoblocks would work.

Found this thread on Audio Karma, for reference. Any insight on those suggestions would be helpful. As always, my fellow Polkies! :smile:

Yep, for @DSkip, Dayens Ampino monoblocks are mentioned! :smile:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/awesome-small-form-factor-amps.707145/

To start, when I was getting my read on about McCormack, I found this little heater:

McCormack Micro Power Drive!
i4ufiztmy9ds.png

And a pair of Muscial Fidelity Monoblocks! These look crazy!
rpa1kklhwgmi.png

Thank you all in advance!
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
Post edited by verb on

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2019
    PS Audio Sprout?

It is attractive and quite small. It has a sub out and seems to allow you to use a separate preamp with the "Analog In, Analog Out" options on the back.

1mpdzej40i45.png

Also the Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp comes to mind.

pc3lruc2u1kn.jpg

The Amp Camp Amp comes as either a 2 channel or monoblock.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb
    Thanks brother! The PASS looks cool! I looked at the Sprout, but I'm really looking for just a power amp, as I got the EAR pre! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Thanks brother! The PASS looks cool! I looked at the Sprout, but I'm really looking for just a power amp, as I got the EAR pre! :smile:

In re: the Pass Amp Camp Amp (ACA):

The ACA is quite nice, but also low power, and also Class A (i.e., generates quite a bit of heat). It may be recalled that our own @ALL212 built -- umm -- some of these. One of them, out of the kindness and karmic generosity of an unnamed Polk forums member, has been on an extended visit at my house :)

The one here is the original morph of the ACA, @ ca. 6 wpc, but was built as a stereo amp with active cooling and Bottlehead-style form factor.

I was curious about these amps because the philosophy and the performance are somewhat akin to a SE 2A3 amplifier. I can say that a 2A3 amp does better the ACA in terms of real, flesh-and-blood liquidity in the midrange, but the ACA is absolutely in the fight (i.e., not embarrassed in a head-to-head comparison with a decent-quality 2A3 amp) and is a fraction of the cost (probably ca. a third, comparing kit/DIY to kit/DIY). Bass performance of the ACA might even be a tad better.

47746467802_f53b3e0aa0_b.jpgDSC_4537 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: hmm -- one of those Bee-nanner plugs isn't exactly fully seated on the left channel output of that amplifier, now, is it? :#
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Parasound z amp but it’s not exactly high end...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Hey Verb, I have a pair of the mono's that I got at LSAF 2 years ago on my inaugural visit. I'll send you a PM.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2019
    Maybe the famous/infamous Carver Cube would be a good choice for you, @Verb? :)
    http://www.carversound.com/carver-amplifiers/m-400t/

6kdapf6qrc5g.png

ha6beorm8qn3.png

nmuo90tcvkw2.png

(borrowed images)

8f647v9rvubv.png

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Even monoblocks would work.

Mono blocks, you say? Small form factor?
    These generate zero heat and are stackable . . .

From AA
    “The EVS 500M is our super high powered ICEpower® mono block amps. These amps use ®ICEpowers most powerful and best module (the 1000ASP) that puts out over 550 watts into 8 ohms and over 1100 watts into 4 ohms. These amps will redefine value in high powered amps. The mono block chassis are 8 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 3 inches tall. They use the same feet, input jacks and binding post bypass system as described above. A pair of them can easily sit next to each other on a shelf. The amps weigh 7.5lbs. each”

7d7ei7rbgjk1.jpeg
    sq97np61zee9.jpeg
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    As soon as I saw this I KNEW the whole Carver cube debate would begin anew (again)🤦🏼‍♂️
  • verb
    Anyone have experience with Bel Canto?
  • verb
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Even monoblocks would work.

Mono blocks, you say? Small form factor?
    These generate zero heat and are stackable . . .

From AA
    “The EVS 500M is our super high powered ICEpower® mono block amps. These amps use ®ICEpowers most powerful and best module (the 1000ASP) that puts out over 550 watts into 8 ohms and over 1100 watts into 4 ohms. These amps will redefine value in high powered amps. The mono block chassis are 8 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 3 inches tall. They use the same feet, input jacks and binding post bypass system as described above. A pair of them can easily sit next to each other on a shelf. The amps weigh 7.5lbs. each”

7d7ei7rbgjk1.jpeg
    sq97np61zee9.jpeg

Are you selling yours? :smile:
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    How about the new Schiit Vidar, and if you fancy a little psuedo Class A, the Aegir.
    They are on my radar.
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2019
    Anyone have experience with Bel Canto?

Not personally, but I have heard a few pieces of theirs. Their house sound , to my ears, trends to the more sterile side of things. Just my opinion there.

So does the McCormack micro, not exactly Steve's best foot forward.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2019
    In case it wasn't obvious, the Carver "suggestion" was a joke (as evidenced by the little smiley in the post) -- those little cubes were famous (even more so than the legendary Flame Linear 700B) for self-immolation.

• codycatalist
    What's the sensitivity of those speakers verb? I can't seem to find it online but being a small FR driver I imagine it's high.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • verb
    What's the sensitivity of those speakers verb? I can't seem to find it online but being a small FR driver I imagine it's high.

Good question! Checking, but I found this. Pretty low power requirements.
    j2fdkth6hagz.png
  • verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In case it wasn't obvious, the Carver "suggestion" was a joke (as evidenced by the little smiley in the post) -- those little cubes were famous (even more so than the legendary Flame Linear 700B) for self-immolation.

Not obvious to me, but what do I know! Now I get it! Trying to burn down Verb's house! Lol! :smile:
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    The Pass ACA is looking good.
  • verb
  • verb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Hey Verb, I have a pair of the mono's that I got at LSAF 2 years ago on my inaugural visit. I'll send you a PM.

So, I am continually amazed and delighted about the generosity of our CP members!

Kerry decided to part with his PASS ACA monoblocks! And I must say, for an absurdly great deal!

Shout out to Kerry for his generosity!

Looks like they'll be a good match for my speakers! I'm gonna give em a go, looking forward to it!

One caveat, if I ever decide to part with em (fat chance :smile: ) Kerry will buy em back to ensure they stay in the CP family! No worries sir! They shall!

Thanks again Kerry! :smile:
  • verb
    Coming home to Daddy! :smile:
    ok4v4r3m1kks.png
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Attaboy, Kerry!
  • codycatalist
    Glad I made a suggestion that someone took. I don't have experience with those amps but have heard nothing but good things and they seemed to fit your criteria.

• verb
    Glad I made a suggestion that someone took. I don't have experience with those amps but have heard nothing but good things and they seemed to fit your criteria.

Thanks brother! May all your suggestions be heeded! :smile:
  • codycatalist

Thanks brother! May all your suggestions be heeded! :smile:

Actually most are of lower to midfi equipment. I'm a budget kinda guy ya know lol. Hope it works out and you are in Class A bliss my friend.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Congrats Verb!

Will be sweet in the office, install them at your feet and they could be little feet warmers in the winter! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kharp1
    Hope that they're all you could want for that rig.

Now, who wants to make a deal on a pair on Rosso Siena's???
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Marvin’s always trying to sell something lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    Verb, I'm sensing that you may be a full blown junkie!