Question about subwoofer: pair or 1 really good one?

Options
13»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Two subs equidistant to the listener on opposite walls can help smooth the response by canceling out room modes.

very true I've done it and was very pleased with the results..... Disclaimer I'm no where near the league Joey is....

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Is it ok to aim my 2 subs to the sides as opposed to directly at me?
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    ...No one uses two subs. Its unneeded and worse than one...

I respectfully disagree. I am currently in the process of building my theater room from the ground up, and will be running a pair (2) Velodyne DD18 subs.

Here is one of the DD18 subs (I just recently acquired the second, and didn’t have it at the time of this photo) - the smaller sub next to it is the DD12.

es2ahiex2z1h.jpeg

bx53d9r4udm0.jpeg

Ideally they will both sit on the front wall, but in case that positioning proves not to produce the best response, I have pre-wired a sub feed into each corner of the new room to allow me the freedom to place the subs wherever they produce the best response.

8jq985q2obdh.jpeg

ekj196wr4ttx.jpeg

8oz6yj81x64w.jpeg

This room will be my primary listening space until I can build my 2ch listening room (probably this coming winter). That room will have two (2) Velodyne DD12 subs.

So yes, I’m a firm proponent of two subs....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Joey, get a sub.. or two - just do it asap
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Lot of good points on this thread.

I suppose subs from the less commercialized makers can produce more bang for the buck.

I do know I need an outboard crossover to really get the sub to blend perfectly. That will have to be the JL Audio CR1.

Special thx to WLD for his detailed posts
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the JL. Let us know how it works out.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with the JL. Let us know how it works out.

He can if he tries to sneak one into the house without permission.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I have to run it by the wife.

I hope the proposal for the sub gets approved, I’m hoping this is the year I introduce a fault line in the neighborhood.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have to run it by the wife.
    Better make it a "Drive by"
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Lot of good points on this thread.
    I suppose subs from the less commercialized makers can produce more bang for the buck.
    I do know I need an outboard crossover to really get the sub to blend perfectly. That will have to be the JL Audio CR1.
    Special thx to WLD for his detailed posts
    Yes, adding a crossover between the mains and subs is the proper way to do it...especially at your level.
    http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/three-ways-to-add-a-subwoofer-crossover-to-your-two-channel-system/

No problem about the info. Whatever your budget, bass is a different beast than mains and being informed is the only way to get the most for your money.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    How about no sub? Problem solved!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Turn in your audio card and politely leave the building

:D:D:D
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2019
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

If I had deep pockets like Joey and wanted to go no sub, these would do! :)

Vaper Audio Perfect Storm White
    https://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/perfect-storm/
    Drivers Used
    -RAAL 140-15D Amorphous Core Tweeter with silver/gold Transformer winding
    -8.5″ Accuton custom Vapor Audio exclusive lower midrange
    -2" Accuton Cell C51 upper midrange
    -15+″ Sandwich Cone Audio Technology 15F woofer
    Cabinet Tuning
    -10:1 Tapering Transmission Line, slot ported, 20hz tune
    Freq Response: 16 – 38,500hz +/-3db, 24 – 26,000 hz +/- 1.5db
    Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    Sensitivity: 94 db
    Recommended Power: 8-500 watts via Tube Amp / 15-500 watts via Solid State Amp
    Weight and Dimensions: 450 pounds /64″ Height x 32″ Deep x 20″ Max Width
    Crossover Details: Asymmetric slopes with crossover points of 300hz, 1000hz, and 2300hz
    P1040422.jpg
    image.php?id=140028
    image.php?id=140029
    image.php?id=140030
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,514
    Options
    Just read a good article in Positive Feedback Online which talks about subwoofer integration. https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/simple-subwoofer-setup/
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thank you