B&W Formation Duo Wireless speakers

WLDock
WLDock Posts: 3,073
Interesting, it looks like B&W has jumped into the wireless game. They are up there in price, more than the KEF, ELAC, etc. but less than the Dyns.

Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo - $3999
https://www.avsforum.com/bowers-wilkins-formation-duo-wireless-speakers-unveiled/
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bandw-formation-duo
https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/22/bowers-wilkins-formation-speakers/

Bowers-Wilkins-Formation-Duo-770x450.jpg

https://youtu.be/thM0Fm9opOw

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Although I have no interest in these wireless systems currently, I love what they are doing for the market. I've had friends ask me several times about the middle ground between a traditional stereo and a sound bar. I feel like these types of systems hit the nail on the head for functionality and price point. I think these will be a big factor in stereo and hifi making a comeback into more average households.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    @displayname I admire your optimism.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’ve seen some ugly speakers. Those are up there. Looks like a trash bin on a pedestal.

R2D2 and a toaster oven had kids...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Although I have no interest in these wireless systems currently, I love what they are doing for the market. I've had friends ask me several times about the middle ground between a traditional stereo and a sound bar. I feel like these types of systems hit the nail on the head for functionality and price point. I think these will be a big factor in stereo and hifi making a comeback into more average households.

It certainly eliminates having a large stack of components. All you need is the space for a couple speakers. Depending on style, the WAF should go up considerably.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    edited April 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @displayname I admire your optimism.
    Haha, I know that it'll never be in most households, but I do know it's something I've actually watched people consider. Losing the gear stack and wires is a big appeal to a lot of people. Especially wires. I think when the average price for a good wireless system gets closer to $2K is when a big jump will happen. Especially if they did 2K + free year of Tidal or another lossless service. I think that bundle price point would get a lot of people started.
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited April 2019
    Most women hate seeing any sort of cables for some reason. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Most women hate seeing any sort of cables for some reason. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

That might be due to the fact that you aren't a woman. :p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    The lack of cables wasn’t the appeal to me. There are still plenty of visible cables with the LS50W. The lack of what amounted to 5 or 6 audio component boxes plus the speakers/stand is what was the deciding factor. Was a lot to have put in the open in the living space. Too much of an attention grabber in an adult living room in my opinion (and my fiancé’s although she refused to ask me to sell everything). The simplicity is also fantastic.

These high (er) end integrated setups are very surprising and I’m sure most of you would be floored hearing something like the KEFS with a nice source. In the end it’s a major money saving venture as well as there just isn’t much to upgrade. The revolving door of audio components is no longer a thing and it’s a freeing feeling actually
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • WLDock
    edited April 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’ve seen some ugly speakers. Those are up there. Looks like a trash bin on a pedestal.
    Yeah, they look odd. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm no designer, but for $4K B&W could have done better. I mean the whole point of a speaker like this is to have great sound, great looks / WAF, less clutter, and ease of use. Something like the Paradigm Persona goes down a similar design direction in the white variety but takes a completely different more pleasing turn. They need something 'pretty' if these are going to make it into some living spaces. Heck, my wife thinks the KEF LS50W look hideous!

stangman67 wrote: »
    The lack of cables wasn’t the appeal to me. There are still plenty of visible cables with the LS50W. The lack of what amounted to 5 or 6 audio component boxes plus the speakers/stand is what was the deciding factor. Was a lot to have put in the open in the living space. Too much of an attention grabber in an adult living room in my opinion (and my fiancé’s although she refused to ask me to sell everything). The simplicity is also fantastic.

These high (er) end integrated setups are very surprising and I’m sure most of you would be floored hearing something like the KEFS with a nice source. In the end it’s a major money saving venture as well as there just isn’t much to upgrade. The revolving door of audio components is no longer a thing and it’s a freeing feeling actually
    Yes, the sound, minimal components are what makes them attractive to me. I'm sure by the time I'm ready there will be version 2.0 out so I"m banking on finding a used deals out there. Even still, I showed them to the Mrs. and as i stated above, she thinks they look hideous. So, even if a lessen the components, go with small wireless speakers, its still going to take some work on the WAF to get a system in my living room.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    No demo??? The dude drops 4K plus what ever for the stands, and "doesn't expect much"...………? Dude kinda looks like Geddy Lee.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • WLDock
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, Steve Guttenberg looks like Geddy Lee somewhat. He reviews a ton of gear for cnet, etc... https://www.cnet.com/profiles/theaudiophiliac/ ....so maybe he has his reasons for not expecting much. Seems like an interesting guy with interesting perspectives on audio and the high end.

His own system: https://youtu.be/dfqoOHz4Sp4

Here’s why most insanely expensive audio systems don't sound insanely great
    https://youtu.be/qtUQzd4VoEU

Good reasons to buy high-end audio other than the sound
    https://youtu.be/wnZ6fJyvklE

How crazy Is It to play a $40k audio system with $550 speakers?
    (Klipsch RP 600M cnet speaker of the year) https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsch-reference-premiere-600m-is-the-audiophiliac-speaker-of-the-year/
    https://youtu.be/aGmOK3T3c5w

His youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg/videos

• displayname
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    No demo??? The dude drops 4K plus what ever for the stands, and "doesn't expect much"...………? Dude kinda looks like Geddy Lee.
    He’s a very seasoned reviewer. He didn’t drop a dime for those, and he generally knows what to expect, especially from companies he’s familiar with.
    But he does like to highlight things that surprised him, and I think that’s where these fall in.

Discogs
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Very interesting looking at his gear...….he doesn't have a headphone rack, he has a headphone tree!!! I think I spied a couple of grado's in there :smile:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • WLDock
    The headphone collection is insane!