B&W Formation Duo Wireless speakers

WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,618
Interesting, it looks like B&W has jumped into the wireless game. They are up there in price, more than the KEF, ELAC, etc. but less than the Dyns.

Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo - $3999
https://www.avsforum.com/bowers-wilkins-formation-duo-wireless-speakers-unveiled/
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bandw-formation-duo
https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/22/bowers-wilkins-formation-speakers/

Bowers-Wilkins-Formation-Duo-770x450.jpg

FAMILY ROOM
HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,109
    I’ve seen some ugly speakers. Those are up there. Looks like a trash bin on a pedestal.
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 400
    Although I have no interest in these wireless systems currently, I love what they are doing for the market. I've had friends ask me several times about the middle ground between a traditional stereo and a sound bar. I feel like these types of systems hit the nail on the head for functionality and price point. I think these will be a big factor in stereo and hifi making a comeback into more average households.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,123
    @displayname I admire your optimism.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,295
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’ve seen some ugly speakers. Those are up there. Looks like a trash bin on a pedestal.

R2D2 and a toaster oven had kids...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,295
    Although I have no interest in these wireless systems currently, I love what they are doing for the market. I've had friends ask me several times about the middle ground between a traditional stereo and a sound bar. I feel like these types of systems hit the nail on the head for functionality and price point. I think these will be a big factor in stereo and hifi making a comeback into more average households.

It certainly eliminates having a large stack of components. All you need is the space for a couple speakers. Depending on style, the WAF should go up considerably.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    edited April 23
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @displayname I admire your optimism.
    Haha, I know that it'll never be in most households, but I do know it's something I've actually watched people consider. Losing the gear stack and wires is a big appeal to a lot of people. Especially wires. I think when the average price for a good wireless system gets closer to $2K is when a big jump will happen. Especially if they did 2K + free year of Tidal or another lossless service. I think that bundle price point would get a lot of people started.
    Discogs
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,123
    edited April 23
    Most women hate seeing any sort of cables for some reason. Personally, it doesn't bother me.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • halohalo Posts: 5,189
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Most women hate seeing any sort of cables for some reason. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

That might be due to the fact that you aren't a woman. :p
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,280
    The lack of cables wasn’t the appeal to me. There are still plenty of visible cables with the LS50W. The lack of what amounted to 5 or 6 audio component boxes plus the speakers/stand is what was the deciding factor. Was a lot to have put in the open in the living space. Too much of an attention grabber in an adult living room in my opinion (and my fiancé’s although she refused to ask me to sell everything). The simplicity is also fantastic.

These high (er) end integrated setups are very surprising and I’m sure most of you would be floored hearing something like the KEFS with a nice source. In the end it’s a major money saving venture as well as there just isn’t much to upgrade. The revolving door of audio components is no longer a thing and it’s a freeing feeling actually
    2 Channel - Major reduction complete

KEF LS50W I Rega P6 w/ Ania MC I Rega Fono MC I Audience Ohno ICs

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,618
    edited April 24
    DSkip wrote: »
    Yeah, they look odd. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm no designer, but for $4K B&W could have done better. I mean the whole point of a speaker like this is to have great sound, great looks / WAF, less clutter, and ease of use. Something like the Paradigm Persona goes down a similar design direction in the white variety but takes a completely different more pleasing turn. They need something 'pretty' if these are going to make it into some living spaces. Heck, my wife thinks the KEF LS50W look hideous!

stangman67 wrote: »
    The lack of cables wasn’t the appeal to me. There are still plenty of visible cables with the LS50W. The lack of what amounted to 5 or 6 audio component boxes plus the speakers/stand is what was the deciding factor. Was a lot to have put in the open in the living space. Too much of an attention grabber in an adult living room in my opinion (and my fiancé’s although she refused to ask me to sell everything). The simplicity is also fantastic.

These high (er) end integrated setups are very surprising and I’m sure most of you would be floored hearing something like the KEFS with a nice source. In the end it’s a major money saving venture as well as there just isn’t much to upgrade. The revolving door of audio components is no longer a thing and it’s a freeing feeling actually
    Yes, the sound, minimal components are what makes them attractive to me. I'm sure by the time I'm ready there will be version 2.0 out so I"m banking on finding a used deals out there. Even still, I showed them to the Mrs. and as i stated above, she thinks they look hideous. So, even if a lessen the components, go with small wireless speakers, its still going to take some work on the WAF to get a system in my living room.

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • Geoff4rfcGeoff4rfc Posts: 1,775
    No demo??? The dude drops 4K plus what ever for the stands, and "doesn't expect much"...………? Dude kinda looks like Geddy Lee.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

HT
    Source: Oppo 103 - Display: Samsung QLED 65F
    Pre/Processor: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2

2CH
    Emotiva: ERC 3 connected via XLR's

Speakers
    PolkAudio Mains: LSiM707, C-706, SS: 702F/X, RS: RTiA9

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is
    edited April 26
    Yeah, Steve Guttenberg looks like Geddy Lee somewhat. He reviews a ton of gear for cnet, etc... https://www.cnet.com/profiles/theaudiophiliac/ ....so maybe he has his reasons for not expecting much. Seems like an interesting guy with interesting perspectives on audio and the high end.

His own system:

Here’s why most insanely expensive audio systems don't sound insanely great

Good reasons to buy high-end audio other than the sound

How crazy Is It to play a $40k audio system with $550 speakers?
    (Klipsch RP 600M cnet speaker of the year) https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsch-reference-premiere-600m-is-the-audiophiliac-speaker-of-the-year/

His youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg/videos

FAMILY ROOM
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    No demo??? The dude drops 4K plus what ever for the stands, and "doesn't expect much"...………? Dude kinda looks like Geddy Lee.
    He’s a very seasoned reviewer. He didn’t drop a dime for those, and he generally knows what to expect, especially from companies he’s familiar with.
    But he does like to highlight things that surprised him, and I think that’s where these fall in.

Discogs
  • Geoff4rfcGeoff4rfc Posts: 1,775
    Very interesting looking at his gear...….he doesn't have a headphone rack, he has a headphone tree!!! I think I spied a couple of grado's in there :smile:
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

HT
    Source: Oppo 103 - Display: Samsung QLED 65F
    Pre/Processor: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2

2CH
    Emotiva: ERC 3 connected via XLR's

Speakers
    PolkAudio Mains: LSiM707, C-706, SS: 702F/X, RS: RTiA9

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is
    The headphone collection is insane!
    FAMILY ROOM