SDA CRS’s for Dummies

2»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    If I had a pair of SDA 2A or 2B, I wouldn't waste time or money on the original CRS with the two tweeters per cabinet. Money's better spent on the better SDA speaker design or on a pair of Monitor 7s.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited April 2019
    There are three versions of the CRS. The original '84 CRSs were 2nd generation, two tweeters, either SL1000 or SL2000. No sub-bass drive circuit.
    '86 CRS+ were 3rd generation, single tweeter, with sub bass drive circuit. Same crossover as the SDA-2A.
    '87-'89 CRS+ were 4th generation, single tweeter, sub bass drive circuit. Same crossover as the SDA-2B.
    Most desirable '87-'89, least desirable '84.
    There would have been a 5th generation called the SRS-4.1, but Polk ceased production. The TL or SL3000 modification is the SRS-4.1 however.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's not the new tweeters that make the polyswitch unnecessary. It's when the crossovers get upgraded with film caps.

I said the new tweeters make the bypass cap unnecessary; not the polyswitch.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2019
    ThomasD wrote: »
    It's not the new tweeters that make the polyswitch unnecessary. It's when the crossovers get upgraded with film caps.

So, I can safely just swap out the SL1000/2000 with the RD-0194's and do nothing else to the x/o's ?
    Edited
    Been reading the SDA Handbook and believe the answer to my question is 'yes'.

Yes yes yes yes yes I answered that already.
    pitdogg2"" wrote:
    yes you can use the RD-0194 for replacement to both of those tweeters BUT the SL1000 has a differrent cut out and modifications to the holes will be needed. Although less desirable they are close and if price is right worth it as they do have a very good soundstage.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Yes
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2019
    Dr_Wu wrote: »

I said the new tweeters make the bypass cap unnecessary; not the polyswitch.

You're still wrong.

The purpose of a bypass is to improve the performance of another capacitor usually an electrolytic. When upgrading to a film cap the bypass is no longer needed as it creates unwanted artifacts.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

I'm still wrong too. I meant bypass cap, not polyswitch. However, Dr. Wu is still wrong about the tweeter and the bypass cap.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Ok. Picked up the CRS's and they were in pretty good shape. Been listening to the stock SL2000's in them & they are bright. My older ears don't find them necessarily obnoxious but I'm use to the smooth sounding RD-0198's in my TL'd 7c's. Definitely not bass heavy, but with my 12' Klipsch sub they sound surprising musical and have good separation. I've been trying to order a pair of RD-0194's for the CRS's & a pair of RD-0198 for my 2a's that are being upgraded by @westmassguy. Have read about the issues with 'Polk' CS. Hoping my experience would be different because it's just an order for parts, no warranty or equipment issues and it has to be a phone call since these parts can't be ordered online. But alas, 3 days of getting a looping voicemail prompt that keeps taking me back to the same menu, talking to an actual warm body that continually transfers me to the 'Sorry, we are experiencing a higher than normal......please call back later', and leaving my phone # multiple times for a return call which never comes. I realize it's now Saturday and don't expect any response through the weekend but if nothing materializes next week is there any other avenue to pursue? May have to advertise in the classified's for a couple pairs.

Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Strange both times i called and left my number i was called within an hour.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2019
    That's funny, I have heard similar issues but the few times I've called I was greeted by a live person right away. Are you calling after hours? Give me you credit card number Thomas. I'll order you a couple...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ThomasD
    Heading back out to Denali Park tomorrow and will be out of cell/internet service for a while. Will try once more when I can and then may have to take Robert up on his offer.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • ThomasD
    Update
    Tried again today. A little different this time. Completely different voice mail that I hadn't gotten before, asked me to leave a call back # and that I had a definite position in the queue for that return call. Hmmmm..... Low and behold 20 minutes later I got a call from the tech line. Briefly explained my frustration, stated what I needed and had all the tweets ordered in 5 minutes. Also, asked about the elusive MW6510 & 6503's just for grins & giggles. Apparently, Midwest Speaker Repair ( I believe that's who he said as our connection was in and out) is tooling up to manufacture accurate replacements for these and a couple other MW's. Is this information already on the forum here somewhere and I've just missed it?
  • Dr_Wu
    Does Polk not have any more RD6519-1 drivers? That is the replacement for the MW6510, I think.

Glad to hear you are on track with the tweeters!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Update
    Tried again today. A little different this time. Completely different voice mail that I hadn't gotten before, asked me to leave a call back # and that I had a definite position in the queue for that return call. Hmmmm..... Low and behold 20 minutes later I got a call from the tech line. Briefly explained my frustration, stated what I needed and had all the tweets ordered in 5 minutes. Also, asked about the elusive MW6510 & 6503's just for grins & giggles. Apparently, Midwest Speaker Repair ( I believe that's who he said as our connection was in and out) is tooling up to manufacture accurate replacements for these and a couple other MW's. Is this information already on the forum here somewhere and I've just missed it?

It has been brought up and doubt cast upon their ability to correctly deliver. We shall see...
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • ThomasD
    Does Polk not have any more RD6519-1 drivers? That is the replacement for the MW6510, I think.

The gentleman I spoke to said that the 6510 replacement was discontinued recently. He didn't get any more specific than that.

It has been brought up and doubt cast upon their ability to correctly deliver. We shall see...

He said by July......

• F1nut
    Some fool at Sound United decided they are no longer going to support vintage products.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Some fool at Sound United decided they are no longer going to support vintage products.

But they have a 'mission statement' and they are 'diversifying' their interests.
    May 28, 2018

Sound United Introduces ‘Sound Start,’ An Initiative to Donate 10,000 Instruments to Children Worldwide in Partnership with VH1 Save The Music Foundation

;)
  • ThomasD
    Just received this email response from MidWest Speaker Repair:
    Hi Thomas,
    Yes, we are in the works for MW6502 and MW6503 replacements. Should be available this Sept.
  • Dr_Wu
    Not to speak for @DarqueKnight but I believe he tested the MW6510 v. RD6519 and found them to perform nearly identically. So, you might feel comfortable using them interchangeably if you can find one or the other, here and there. Good luck!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

The gentleman I spoke to said that the 6510 replacement was discontinued recently. He didn't get any more specific than that.

He said by July......

This is not my experience but a seasoned member was doubtful that they would reproduce them correctly. Only time and some money to test will tell.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760

We all knew this day would eventually come. That's why some of us have boxes of spare drivers and tweeters stashed.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635

We all knew this day would eventually come. That's why some of us have boxes of spare drivers and tweeters stashed.

O Hecho en Mexico....

kwqb1pya8vxv.jpg
    tsqzq0n99auu.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ThomasD
    Alright, had a couple days home and have been pushing the CRS’s with some 200 watts of Carver power. They do seem to soak up more watts than the 2A’s but for 30+ year old, untouched SDA’s they are great. Have them set up fairly high to really listen to the SL2000,s before I disconnect the SDA tweeter & replace the stereo tweet with the RD-0194’s. Seemingly pretty good sound stage with just a little less separation than my stock 2A’s. Bass is definitely a little lacking by themselves but with a 12” sub to make it up they slam pretty well. Granted my hearing after 40+ some years of construction is not what it use to be but what is the ‘SDA wonkiness’ that many describe with the SDA tweet connected in these CRS’s? I’m not really hearing any difference with the SDA tweet connected or disconnected. Any suggested sound track that might make it more discernible?