Streamer Recommendations

I currently have an Auralic Aries Mini and it’s a great piece of gear. I would like to buy another for a second system but they are no longer available and I haven’t seen any on the used market in awhile. The Bluesound Node gets good reviews at $500 but what else should I look for in $500 - $1000 range. The unit would need to include a DAC. I’m also not opposed to used.

Thanks
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    The Bluesound Node 2i is the main one I read about, but if you include the used market at $1000 there is probably a better buy. I haven't heard the Cambridge CXN V2, but that's another one that caught my eye in this price point. Other previous generation Auralic Aries streamers come up in this price range on the used market as well.

Do you have any functional needs? Roon, Tidal, MQA, wifi vs wireless etc?
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I auditioned the node vs my Cambridge Audio CXN v2 and it wasn’t even a comparison. Of course the CA is $900 so you would expect that, but there are a few things I love.
    Integrated screen to see what’s playing
    DAC onboard is a very good one. As good as my PS Audio stellar
    The interface through a smartphone is slick but not without some slight gripes.
    Plethora or connections on the back.
    Tidal integration
    Chromcast
    Overall good looking unit with even better sound
  • Joe, I am interested in the Cambridge Audio CXN v2.

What are your main gripes with the interface through a smartphone?

I am asking this question thinking about my friend who uses her iPhone and jRiver (jRemote) to play ripped CDs from her laptop. She has Paradigm Studio 60's, center, and surround speakers. Connection problems seem to cause her the most problems.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I have been looking at the Node, but need to do more research. I simply need it to stream Spotify, as I am currently using a chromebook stuffed down in my equipment rack, and I have to always log into the Spotify web player and it can be glitchy.

I am assuming I can use my iPhone to control Spotify through the node into my main system?

The other thing that looked interesting, is it seems you can input a turntable into the node and then stream to other node locations. I would like to be able to play records in the living room and then hear them out on the deck on another pair of speakers, so this could potentially be a good option. Not sure if it goes from turntable, to phono pre, to node, to preamp or how that works so I need to do more research.

Sorry to threadjack, but I am looking down the same path you are, and the node seems to have great potential.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    edited January 2019
    The Bluesound Node 2i is the main one I read about, but if you include the used market at $1000 there is probably a better buy. I haven't heard the Cambridge CXN V2, but that's another one that caught my eye in this price point. Other previous generation Auralic Aries streamers come up in this price range on the used market as well.

Do you have any functional needs? Roon, Tidal, MQA, wifi vs wireless etc?

There is no option for Ethernet so it would have to be connected to my WiFi network. Primarily streaming source is Tidal.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• joecoulson
    Harry, I don't want to thread hijack with only CXN info so I will PM you pix of what the interface looks like, but my main gripes are this (and all in all they are minor and do not outweigh by any means the benefits)
    The app is a little delayed sometimes with adding tacks to the playlist, this is not a network issue as we have a very fast connection and router. and when you go from the control app to another app (say answer the phone or whatever) and you come back to the app, sometimes it has to go through the initial cycle to get back to the home screen and back into the source (ie tidal or network drive)
    It does not always do this, about half the time, but it should cache where you left the app and leave it there for reopening every time IMO

You will get a chance to have a go with it when you come in March as it's harder to explain with text and 1000% easier to show.
  • displayname
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    The other thing that looked interesting, is it seems you can input a turntable into the node and then stream to other node locations. I would like to be able to play records in the living room and then hear them out on the deck on another pair of speakers, so this could potentially be a good option. Not sure if it goes from turntable, to phono pre, to node, to preamp or how that works so I need to do more research.
    Based on the inputs you would run an RCA to the Node's 3.5mm analog in. Personally, I do not see the value in doing this, but it does certainly seem possible.
    bls-node2-blk_7_.jpg

@joecoulson have you by chance also used the Auralic app/steamers? I'd be curious to hear how that app experience stacks up with the Cambridge and Bluesound options too.
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    I have not. I messed around with the Bluesound and Cambridge at my dealer for sound comps but we were using his server to stream music through the internal DAC’s to make sure the source was the same (for an accurate A/B) and it really blew away the node.
    I have read the Bluesound app is somewhat user friendly.
    For me, the screen on the front was a must. Don’t want to be tied to the phone always and you can scoot through the menus with the remote to find anything , files, Tidal playlists/files, radio stations etc all while verification is happening with the screen.
  • displayname
    Got it. The screen never really seemed like a huge deal to me. I figured if I ended up deciding the phone was a hassle I could invest in a lower cost table and treat that like a dedicated remote. So given that thought process gives me more focus on the app. But I guess with the screen I wouldn’t really need to worry about it.
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    That's right - I told Skip how good it was and he right then and there decided to pursue them....
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited January 2019
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Ray,, I’ll hopefully be picking up Cambridge and their streaming options are a big reason why. I refuse to invest in Blue Sound because it’s apparent that they just don’t stack up sound wise.

I still have a Mini I’m reluctant to get rid of due to its incredible value. I think people are stockpiling them now.

Hey Skip, I am not in a hurry just seeing what my options are. Keep me posted on you CA partnership.
    Living Room

Office

• Wow..$5200 streamer. At that price point I’m not even on the launch pad.
    Living Room

Office

• Mikey081057
    Streamer DAC and PreAmp

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • joecoulson
    CA has a digital preamp but I wouldn’t use that.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I am interested skip on what you base your opinion on. I’ve seen you state this opinion all over various forums and read cannot understand it. I love my node and haven’t heard pretty much anything negative about it other than from you.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • displayname
    DSkip wrote: »
    For what it’s worth I’ve had trouble finding a streaming transport I could really stand behind for under $2000. There simply aren’t a lot of strong options which is disappointing.
    This has been part of my many hesitations getting into streaming. The Node does seem like a viable, functional option, but hearing these positive notes about the CXN are encouraging too. I have always kind of figured if I did get a Node it would be to dip my toes in, but I'd end up diving in deeper later. I think on my current system it would work well, but I also like to take brakes from the upgrade cycles. I've only started to think about it more now because I do think/hope the technology is getting to a point to push the prices down progressively.
    Discogs
  • Mikey081057
    For $500 bucks you order one from Amazon and if you don't like it you return it.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I still have a Mini I’m reluctant to get rid of due to its incredible value. I think people are stockpiling them now.
    Man, I had an Audio Advisor catalog turned to the Mini page on my bedside table for some months years ago. It seemed like a perfect piece to build a system around for us budget audiophiles but timing was never right. Since, I've been looking at other options in the same/similar price range like the Node, Denon, Marantz, Pro-Ject, etc. And even cheaper options like Sonos, the Yamaha WXC-50, and Raspberry Pi / HiFiBerry options. The HiFiBerry option looks interesting as I'm a DIY'er and some have had great results with them. Some say the sound is better then other units they have used.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • To get significantly better sound, you don’t need to replace the Bluesound if you like it. It is not optimum to use the server as a DAC as well IME. Just get a good DAC and connect to the Bluesound with a good S/PDIF coax cable like this one:

www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154425.0

If that does not deliver what you are looking for, then add a Synchro-Mesh reclocker for $599 to reduce jitter from the Bluesound to 20psec:

www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154918.0

As for DAC’s, I don’t know what your budget is, but the Border Patrol is very popular, particularly if you don’t care about DSD or 192 PCM.

Other options from Ressonessence and Chord are good choices that support higher sample-rates.

Steve N.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    WLDock wrote: »
    Man, I had an Audio Advisor catalog turned to the Mini page on my bedside table for some months years ago. It seemed like a perfect piece to build a system around for us budget audiophiles but timing was never right. Since, I've been looking at other options in the same/similar price range like the Node, Denon, Marantz, Pro-Ject, etc. And even cheaper options like Sonos, the Yamaha WXC-50, and Raspberry Pi / HiFiBerry options. The HiFiBerry option looks interesting as I'm a DIY'er and some have had great results with them. Some say the sound is better then other units they have used.

I kind of felt the same way about the Mini until I found put you had to have an Apple product to control it. I went do fast as to buy an iPad mini to use as the interface, but, talked myself out of going back down the Apple drain.

Still waiting for PS Audio to release their streamer and take another step towards an all PSA system.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @mrbiron has the parts for a HiFiBerry for sale on this forum, unless I missed them being sold....

Those same parts have been tempting me to build another RetroPi, or a network ad blocker myself...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2019
    kharp1 wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »

I kind of felt the same way about the Mini until I found put you had to have an Apple product to control it. I went do fast as to buy an iPad mini to use as the interface, but, talked myself out of going back down the Apple drain.

Still waiting for PS Audio to release their streamer and take another step towards an all PSA system.
    Man, that sound awesome!, an all PS Audio setup (And maybe speakers when they come out) of their newer affordable products would suite me as well. I like what they are doing and hope to listen to their stuff at AXPONA this year. I'm just not there yet to jump.

My latest quest is to get the NAD T 758 V3 receiver with the built-in BluOS streamer as well as DIRAC Live room correction for my TV family room!!! Those are two very cool feature that makes this $1299 new / $975 refurb a/v reciever a good buy.

https://nadelectronics.com/bluos/
    http://bluos.net/
    https://nadelectronics.com/product/t-758-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/4

Then, when I can afford the KEF LS50 wireless & sub for my living room music system I will be all set for streaming using the app to control things in any room. I see this more later in 2019 then sooner...
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Beaudet
    Beaudet Posts: 1
    I figured if I ended up deciding the phone was a hassle I could invest in a lower cost table and treat that like a dedicated remote. So given that thought process gives me more focus on the app Prepaid Gift Balance
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited March 2020

Wow..$5200 streamer. At that price point I’m not even on the launch pad.

The Moon was ok but not too far away from what I got and never looked back. The Auralic Vega G2 has been such a treat and no regrets on bringing it into my life . Game changer to say the least. 😉
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Claudia123 reported
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Just invested in a Cambridge CNX v2 refurb from their Ebay store. Pretty pumped to test its DAC vs my Benchmark DAC for kicks, even though I can guess the outcome I suppose. This purchase was the next step in an all digital existence.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    With Streaming music services , I find the Sonos Port to get the job done very nicely either with an external DAC or even if you want to save some cash, the internal DAC which isn't bad at all.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited November 2021
    Update on the Cambridge CNX experience so far. First off, I have no issue "finding it" to connect with either with the Cambridge app or Tidal Connect. The biggest fault I found with my previous streamer was the issue connecting via the app to actually listen to music. The build quality is decent but would be crushed by my MF amp if I placed it on top of the Cambridge. Plenty of connections and turning on and off is not a hassle to re establish a connection. The rotary knob in the front is a nice feature but mine seems wobbly or "lose" to the touch which is annoying. Anyone else notice this with theirs? Last note on the sound - I took my Benchmark DAC2 out of the chain due to an overly analytical sound which wore on me with high res recordings. The internal DACs are, as Larry David would be say, pretty, pretty, pretty good.