SDA SRS 3.1TL

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Good stuff, the RD0 series tweets are a nice improvement (and more durable).

Mortal Engines has killer sound, glad I picked it up off the bay on Blu Ray! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Don’t forget to break in the new tweeters. Run them continuously for a few days to work out the mechanical manufacturing stresses and they will sound even better.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    erniejade wrote: »
    I am glad you noticed the difference as well. It is amazing how big of a difference it is.

Yes theres a huge difference...they sound so much better. More natural, smooth and controlled.
  • ddog
    VR3 wrote: »
    Good stuff, the RD0 series tweets are a nice improvement (and more durable).

Mortal Engines has killer sound, glad I picked it up off the bay on Blu Ray! :)

Yes Mortal Engines is incredible. I have it on 4k, one of the best looking and the Atmos is one of the best sounding movies I have seen to date.
    Plus it was shot in 8k and down scaled to 4k. Exallent shadow detail and the HDR is top notch.

I'm still sorting out how I want to go about the crossover upgrade.
    But I'm thinking I'll be getting in touch with you soon.
  • ddog
    Don’t forget to break in the new tweeters. Run them continuously for a few days to work out the mechanical manufacturing stresses and they will sound even better.

Yes definitely...I ran them for 4 to 5 hours last night and another 4 or 5 so far today.
    I have the Anthem amv 60 so I'm thinking tomorrow I'll take some run at them with ARC and take a look at what they're doing in my room.

They are definitely a step up.
  • ddog
    Hey I have a question...
    I have a set of monitor 10 series II with what I believe are the 2500 tweeters.
    I'm not sure but it's my understanding that I can swap them out for the 3000's.
    If so is this a worth while upgrade or should I even bother with it..?

Thanks in advance.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    ddog wrote: »
    Hey I have a question...

Thanks in advance.

RD-0198
  • ddog
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hey I have a question...

Thanks in advance.

RD-0198

I understand that the 198's are the absolute best choice for tweeters but I have a set of 3000 that are now unused.
    Wonder if they would be a significant upgrade over the 2500.

These speakers are in a non critical listening area.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    @ddog, these are the rankings from the “tale of five tweeters” sticky thread. I’d pop the 3000's in and see if you like them better...

Build Quality

1. RD0198
    2. RD0194
    3. SL3000
    4. SL2500
    5. SL1000
    6. SL2000

Frequency Response

1. RD0198
    2. RD0194
    3. SL3000
    4. SL2500
    5. SL1000
    6. SL2000

Harmonic Distortion

1. RD0198
    2. RD0194
    3. SL3000
    4. SL1000
    5. SL2500
    6. SL2000

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • ddog
    Hey thanks for the chart... I think I'll give it a try.
    I'm thinking I should use the best that I have on had.

Hey how'd you make out with you DIY wave-guides?

Here's one that I made...yk1vw6xmlisc.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey @ddog loving this thread! Looking good! Hey one thing I noticed on the pic's of the tweeters installed, looks like a bit of deflection on the plastic around each of the screws. Did you put a spacer in between the backside of the tweeter at each screw hole location?

Not sure if the 198's are the same, but the 194's that I used was did not have the molded in spacer. Result is you have a gap between the backside of the mounting plate and the enclosure. Easy fix with a small washer.

mat5x8uc54dd.png

May want to check it out.

Check out my thread, page 4, about 1/2 way down.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183597/the-sda-srss-have-landed-at-verbs-house/p4
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    Hey how'd you make out with you DIY wave-guides?

Hey that looks perfect! I am slow, currently refinishing a Klipsch rig for my brother's HT. My 3.1's are next. Glad you got a head start and have given me some good inspiration! 👍🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • ddog
    edited March 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Hey @ddog loving this thread! Looking good! Hey one thing I noticed on the pic's of the tweeters installed, looks like a bit of deflection on the plastic around each of the screws. Did you put a spacer in between the backside of the tweeter at each screw hole location?

Not sure if the 198's are the same, but the 194's that I used was did not have the molded in spacer. Result is you have a gap between the backside of the mounting plate and the enclosure. Easy fix with a small washer.

mat5x8uc54dd.png

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183597/the-sda-srss-have-landed-at-verbs-house/p4

That's some great advice..
    But no I didn't put the washers on but man I need to.
    I hate it when I overlook things and have to back at it....
    That will help eliminate the crush look from the screws.

I used thin rope style foam as a gasket. It works great and is air tight.

Also I used a paste pipe dope...comes in a tube... in all of the screw holes when installing the drivers.
    Makes them air tight and locked them into their holes.ehzehimc61dq.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    and locked them into their holes.ehzehimc61dq.jpg

Uh oh. You're in trouble...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745

mat5x8uc54dd.png

Also I used a paste pipe dope...comes in a tube... in all of the screw holes when installing the drivers.

Will the loctite prove problematic in the event that the drivers need to be removed for some unforeseen reason?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    a0i39pdtf6ni.png

Believe blue is preferred when you may need to remove in future
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    krazypolk wrote: »

mat5x8uc54dd.png

Will the loctite prove problematic in the event that the drivers need to be removed for some unforeseen reason?

I'd think not since it is made for metal to metal gluing not metal to mdf.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Get them off those risers and forget the caster idea. You want spikes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Love this thread too, and ddog is a very pleasant man. He knows how to listen to the lessons learned by others. Few and far between these days.

ddog, your speakers will look great.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    I wouldn't use thread locker with Hurricane nuts. If you do the H-nut might turn in the MDF before the screw turns in the the nut. That would cause lots of headaches of you need to remove a driver in the future.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    There's no reason to use thread locker, period.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ddog
    krazypolk wrote: »

mat5x8uc54dd.png

The pipe dope isn't so much a thread lock as it is a sealant to make sure theres no air escaping from the hole/s. Theres a lot of pressure inside these cabinets.

Plus the putty is very moist and creamy. I'm thinking as old and as dried out (i live in the Mojave desert) as these speakers are, I figured the would will soak it up like lotion to your skin.

I've used this on all my speakers that I've been inside of and have never had a problem with disassembly at a later date
  • ddog
    TennMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't use thread locker with Hurricane nuts. If you do the H-nut might turn in the MDF before the screw turns in the the nut. That would cause lots of headaches of you need to remove a driver in the future.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to check out this Hurricane nuts you guys keep talking. I really think I need to get some.

Thanks in advance.
  • ddog
    Love this thread too, and ddog is a very pleasant man. He knows how to listen to the lessons learned by others. Few and far between these days.

ddog, your speakers will look great.

Thank you sir...
    You guys are a really great bunch of people. One of if not the best forum I've been on.
    These speakers are fantastic. Never know they could be so hot rod'd... really learning a lot here.

Thanks guys
  • ddog
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get them off those risers and forget the caster idea. You want spikes.

Ok so heres the scoop....

My theater has two rows of three seats.
    1st row on the ground and 2nd row on a 12" riser.
    Ear hight is 43 in 1st row and 53 2nd row.
    So I set up the room so all tweeters in the bed speakers are at 47".
    This is just about halfway between the two rows.

Tweeters in the 3.1TL's are at 17"....

So long story short, I've ditched the the feet and the casters.
    Since I love the mid bass slam of these speakers I've decided to set them on top of HSU mk15hp's running in stereo. This has proven to be a wicked setup!! Also moves my speakers to my 47" tweeter hight as well.

The theater it 7.4.2 , 2mono subs and 2 l&r stereo subs.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    There's multiple formulations of the Loctite/Permatex/Henkle thread sealer just as there's different varieties of the infamous "Power Grab" construction adhesive.

565, 567, and 592 are the most common. Each has their place, although I tend to use the 592 in automotive work. These sealers have an "anaerobic hardening" characteristic somewhat like thread lockers, but on a much more mild scale. They do an EXCELLENT job of sealing pipe thread, and head bolts threads that go into the water jacket of an engine.

They used to advertise these sealers as "PST"--Pipe Sealer with Teflon. I suspect they aren't using genuine Teflon any more, which is why the PST label kinda went away.

Any one of those items will be fine for sealing the screws that go into the Hurricane nuts (if a person thinks it's needed in that application. I don't.) Directly into wood...I have my doubts that you're gaining anything. Since wood is porous, the anaerobic hardening is never going to happen.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2019
    Oops, thought you had 2.3TL'S. Anyway, putting anything on top of a sub is not a good idea.

President of Club Polk

• ddog
    F1nut wrote: »
    Oops, thought you had 2.3TL'S. Anyway, putting anything on top of a sub is not a good idea.

The sub I quit a bit larger then the speakers and being as how the 3.1's are 100lbs...
    I'm purty sure I'm gtg...
  • ddog
    VR3 wrote: »
    I once placed @lightman1 on top of a sub... Didn't work out to well

We need pics of this beastly setup

Most definitely... depending on how long they keep me for overtime tonight i'll get some tonight...