Balanced XLRs - 1m

Looking for balanced XLRs, two pairs, 1m.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    How bad can they be? I've used their lower end XLRs with great results: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4754
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nooooo chip. Noooo
  • Clipdat
    Don't knock it till you try it! :)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm using the cheap Monoprice ones with good results. An upgrade is on my to do list but pretty happy with what I have for now.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm giving these a try, haha: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33837

@zingo

In typical Monoprice fashion, these turned out to be a fail on quality control. They should stick to their cheaper lines, because these $30/meter cables have issues.

I initially ordered two cables (via Amazon, so in case I needed to, I wouldn't have to deal directly with Monoprice for returns - this proved to be useful) and when they arrived one of them was fine and the other had a loose barrel on the male pin side. It looked like the barrel's set screw had been slightly cross-threaded during assembly. As a result, there was a very slight rotation of the barrel possible when you attempted to twist/turn it. Probably a non-issue for most, but if I'm paying $30 plus tax for a "premium Monolith" cable, I'd like for it to not have any defects.

I returned that cable, and ordered another - hoping that the new arrival would match the first one that didn't have any issues. It arrived today and visually it looked like the male pins were not aligned correctly inside the barrel. I confirmed this by doing a test plug and because the pin angle/placement is off from their tolerances, the cable has to be held at an angle to get it to plug into something. Another unacceptable quality control issue.

So at this point I threw in the towel and decided to return all of them.

That concludes my failed experiment with Monoprice Monolith XLR cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If you want excellent XLR’s for great prices, go to Douglasconnection...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    I went with Audioquest.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2019
    If you want cheap price but not cheap product, Signal Cable. I own their XLR cables. The quality is very good.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Red river?

No, King Cobra.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Wireworld also has a budget line of which is good quality.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Clipdat

I have a physical aversion to the materials that Wireworld uses in the construction of their cables. I cannot tolerate the persistent/constant smell that their PVC jackets off-gas.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I told you before to stop sniffing cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »

At least it is somewhat safer than his old habit of huffing paint fumes... ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mikey081057

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420

I have a physical aversion to the materials that Wireworld uses in the construction of their cables. I cannot tolerate the persistent/constant smell that their PVC jackets off-gas.

Isn't smelling things that aren't there a sign of a brain tumor?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mikey081057
    2u70ec79jh45.png

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    audioluvr wrote: »

Isn't smelling things that aren't there a sign of a brain tumor?

burning feathers.

Can't find the clip I want, so this one'll have to do...

https://youtu.be/A34ZBDE3AhE
  • Clipdat

I wasn't sniffing them.

Their repugnant odor was easily filling my 13x10' bedroom and I could smell them from my listening position 9 feet away from the rack.
  • nooshinjohn

I wasn't sniffing them.

Their repugnant odor was easily filling my 13x10' bedroom and I could smell them from my listening position 9 feet away from the rack.

Must be that skunk fur they use as insulation material...

• Mikey081057
    Must be that skunk fur they use as insulation material...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

Could you imagine busting wind thru some pvc tubing?

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    I'm giving these a try, haha: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33837

@zingo

In typical Monoprice fashion, these turned out to be a fail on quality control. They should stick to their cheaper lines, because these $30/meter cables have issues.

Ya, I am not going back to monoprice, even with a history of some great product experiences.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I can attest to the smell that comes with Wireworld cables. Certainly is at least evident when I walk into my listening room but it doesn’t bother me
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mikey081057
    0r9wwkd1asjw.png

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I think I paid a bill for 2 pairs of BJC's. I have never been disapointed with their products.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

Wireworld has always been my upgrade path but I smoke fine stinky cigars
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited March 2019
    /end rant
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!