PSW 110 gone bad, Polk customer service a terrible experience

13»

Comments

• John_D
    John_D Posts: 1
    Hi Ken, I too have the same problem with my PSW110. I don't have the original receipt. Date of Manufacture is Dec 2013. Can you connect me with Polk service in Canada? When Polk sends a replacement board, is it simply an identical replacement, or has the board been redesigned to correct the original issue? Thanks for your help.
  • Hello,
    The best person to contact is Walter Moser at: 1-877-660-6601 or via email to: wmoser@polkaudio.com and explain as much information as you can, approximate date of purchase and place of purchase.
  • hectic
    hectic Posts: 3
    One would think that with several forums, BBB etc. noting terrible customer service for several years, that a company as large as Polk would get things right.

I inquired about a replacement remote 11/30/2018. The sound bar is a few years old and I wanted to go directly to the manufacturer first for a replacement to ensure I was getting the correct one.

Though I did get an immediate, though generic autoreply confirming receipt of my initial email, it wasn't until THREE weeks after that, 12/21/2018, that I was advised that they do, in fact, have that remote and that they needed my contact info. They also indicated that it would ship within 7-10 business days. I was happily surprised that this would be shipped at no charge, and more than happy to wait out that timeframe, assuming I'd have it about the first week of January. I immediately responded with the requested information.

Instead of getting the item during the first week of January as their email suggested, I instead got a confirming email 1/8/2019 stating they are "porcessing [sic] the items below and will ship within the next several days. Once your order ships we will send another email with tracking number".

I've waited this long, so expected if it were to be shipped within a few days from 1/8, I'd have it in about a week's time.

But that didn't happen either.

Now over THREE weeks from that last email of 1/8, I tried to call 1-800-377-7655 FOR DAYS! And for days, the outgoing message says: "we're experiencing longer than expected hold times---call back!"

Several emails were, as expected, ignored.

Today, I had the option of leaving a call back #. They called within about a half hour. That was good.

As I too work in customer service the first thing I said to the agent is that although I've been frustrated by the delay and inability to reach anyone, I will not take it out on him. And I didn't. I don't yell, swear or get sarcastic but at this point, it's been 2 months since I've initially contacted Polk customer service.

He then tells me the item is on backorder and I asked why did they send the email on 1/8 if that was the case? He immediately got sarcastic, raised his voice and repeatedly and menancingly/tauntingly called me: "maam, maam, maam" so I asked for his name. He refused. Though he did say the item would be available at "the end of the month".

Today is January 31, so I pointed out that "it IS the end of the month". So he sarcastically asked if I wished to speak to his supervisor and I agreed.

OF COURSE HE HUNG UP ON ME.

Shameful.

The inability to use the remote means we have to physically touch the soundbar to turn it on/off. I'm not complaining about having to get up but I AM concerned that when we touch the soundbar, we often get a shock and unit turns on (or off) as the case may be. I'm afraid it might damage it or blow it out completely. If that happens, based on this customer "service" alone, I will not buy a product Polk Audio again.

So this terrific gesture of a no charge replacement remote is great IF Polk could actually deliver it.

Alternatively, if an accurate email in the last 2 months that the status of the shipping had been changed, OR you actually have people answering the phone in customer service instead of saying you're "too busy to take the call and call back",
    or lastly---and for god's sake, don't hang up on customers who are not being disrespectful to you, my opinion of this company would be changed and I'd be happy to buy Polk products again and recommend to others.

So to the man calling me "maam" , I hope your day improves so you can be the "service" in a customer service department.

And to the supervisor of this agent---I bet he never told you...

REF # 181130-000889

• Hello! I have a PSW110 that I bought a few years back... A couple weeks ago I heard just distorted buzzy sound instead of clean bass coming from the unit. Now I have no bass and just the "heartbeat sound".

I found another person posted that replacing a pair of 47 microfarad capacitors would correct the heartbeat. I'll start with that and see where this takes me... Sounds ike other capacitors may be bulged and shorted as well... I guess I'll post more as I methodically repair this amp.... capacitor by capacitor.......
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    hectic wrote: »
    One would think that with several forums, BBB etc. noting terrible customer service for several years, that a company as large as Polk would get things right.

I inquired about a replacement remote 11/30/2018. The sound bar is a few years old and I wanted to go directly to the manufacturer first for a replacement to ensure I was getting the correct one.

Though I did get an immediate, though generic autoreply confirming receipt of my initial email, it wasn't until THREE weeks after that, 12/21/2018, that I was advised that they do, in fact, have that remote and that they needed my contact info. They also indicated that it would ship within 7-10 business days. I was happily surprised that this would be shipped at no charge, and more than happy to wait out that timeframe, assuming I'd have it about the first week of January. I immediately responded with the requested information.

Instead of getting the item during the first week of January as their email suggested, I instead got a confirming email 1/8/2019 stating they are "porcessing [sic] the items below and will ship within the next several days. Once your order ships we will send another email with tracking number".

I've waited this long, so expected if it were to be shipped within a few days from 1/8, I'd have it in about a week's time.

But that didn't happen either.

Now over THREE weeks from that last email of 1/8, I tried to call 1-800-377-7655 FOR DAYS! And for days, the outgoing message says: "we're experiencing longer than expected hold times---call back!"

Several emails were, as expected, ignored.

Today, I had the option of leaving a call back #. They called within about a half hour. That was good.

As I too work in customer service the first thing I said to the agent is that although I've been frustrated by the delay and inability to reach anyone, I will not take it out on him. And I didn't. I don't yell, swear or get sarcastic but at this point, it's been 2 months since I've initially contacted Polk customer service.

He then tells me the item is on backorder and I asked why did they send the email on 1/8 if that was the case? He immediately got sarcastic, raised his voice and repeatedly and menancingly/tauntingly called me: "maam, maam, maam" so I asked for his name. He refused. Though he did say the item would be available at "the end of the month".

Today is January 31, so I pointed out that "it IS the end of the month". So he sarcastically asked if I wished to speak to his supervisor and I agreed.

OF COURSE HE HUNG UP ON ME.

Shameful.

The inability to use the remote means we have to physically touch the soundbar to turn it on/off. I'm not complaining about having to get up but I AM concerned that when we touch the soundbar, we often get a shock and unit turns on (or off) as the case may be. I'm afraid it might damage it or blow it out completely. If that happens, based on this customer "service" alone, I will not buy a product Polk Audio again.

So this terrific gesture of a no charge replacement remote is great IF Polk could actually deliver it.

Alternatively, if an accurate email in the last 2 months that the status of the shipping had been changed, OR you actually have people answering the phone in customer service instead of saying you're "too busy to take the call and call back",
    or lastly---and for god's sake, don't hang up on customers who are not being disrespectful to you, my opinion of this company would be changed and I'd be happy to buy Polk products again and recommend to others.

So to the man calling me "maam" , I hope your day improves so you can be the "service" in a customer service department.

And to the supervisor of this agent---I bet he never told you...

REF # 181130-000889

UNFORGIVABLE ! Is this really what the GREAT Polk customer service has come to ??

@KennethSwauger

Maybe show this to Kim and ask if he was aware of this type of treatment. I can remember a time when you ALWAYS had the phone answered and a respectful voice on the other end who also would educate you on the specific item in question if you needed it. This seems to be an ongoing problem (phone no answer, emails unanswered etc.) for a few years now, and it seems to have progressively gotten worse and not better.

shameful to say the least

• I believe Kim Jasper is already aware of the situation and has addressed it.
  • alyssonf
    alyssonf Posts: 1
    I'm from Brazil and I'm having the issue people saying about PSW110. Weird noise just like the video bellow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUuZFi-lirw&feature=youtu.be

• Same issue here, heartbeat sound with no input power on/off i have to unplug the unit to get it to work. Was great with my Monitor 70s and cs2 center that have lasted 3x as long as a powered sub. Was looking to expand to atmos but polk will be off my list of brands to consider from now on. Emailed support and of course a replacement amp that i have to install myself is $100. Paid $125 new from best buy. Junk.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2019
    Amazing what people expect from a $125.00 sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    alyssonf wrote: »
    I'm from Brazil and I'm having the issue people saying about PSW110. Weird noise just like the video bellow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUuZFi-lirw&feature=youtu.be

That thing is possessed. Burn some sage and buy a new sub while you're at the store.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    F1nut wrote: »

Yeah but I also understand that normally $125 isn't "cheap" and the normal person doesn't know the amount of money that goes into a good piece of gear. Not all will learn but some will.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    F1nut wrote: »

Most folks just don't understand how little the parts have to cost in order for a company like Polk - who still sells in Best Buy - to actually make money. We are taking about MAYBE $30 in parts. Labor, shipping, advertising, stocking, making sure that BB makes a profit, that's where all the money goes...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlackHawk
    BlackHawk Posts: 16
    I have a Polk Audio PSW110 and it's the only sub I've ever had trouble with. The amp has gone bad for the second time (it's now out of warranty) and I was wanting to know if anyone knows if there's another amp that's more reliable that's a drop in replacement for this troublesome amp? Or is there a way for me to diagnose the failed part(s) and replace them with more reliable parts? Thank you!
  • Chuck1026
    Chuck1026 Posts: 2
    BlackHawk wrote: »
    I have a Polk Audio PSW110 and it's the only sub I've ever had trouble with. The amp has gone bad for the second time (it's now out of warranty) and I was wanting to know if anyone knows if there's another amp that's more reliable that's a drop in replacement for this troublesome amp? Or is there a way for me to diagnose the failed part(s) and replace them with more reliable parts? Thank you!

I used a Dayton SA100. I had to modify the opening a bit but it works great now! Did the transplant in February 2019... hated to put the big box in a landfill.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Agree with Vegas. Most of us have been down that road, frustrated, but with some encouragement, and a little extra funds, stepped up. SVS is a huge jump to your sub game, even a used one, if you can find one!

I did, have to be patient, but the improvements are amazing! Lot's of info here on alternative subs. :smile:

Keep us posted!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Get PSW505. Had mine for 8+ years with ZERO issues. I didn't know this was the annoying complaints hub for Polk Audio either, good to know.
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • just contacted polk to get a couple of new sub amps for my psw 110 because I unfortunately have two of them and was told that they no longer have parts because they are phasing them out and i should just buy new ones.not impressed since they still have them on there website as available
  • K I have a psw110 it popped fuse when I replace fuse something on board popped what do I do
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    K I have a psw110 it popped fuse when I replace fuse something on board popped what do I do

Either replace the plate amp or buy a different sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zamar
    zamar Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    I know this is a very old thread but here goes. I purchased a pair of Psw 110 subwoofers back in 2012 or 2013, I no longer have the receipt and with this in mind I called Polk to discuss some of the problems mentioned in the above thread which I myself was experiencing with my subwoofers, I was told I will have to purchase new amplifiers at full price since the subwoofers were probably out of warranty, please, any assistance from anyone with regards to this malady will be highly appreciated.. .
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,453
    If either you or a friend are able to do basic electronic troubleshooting I can provide a schematic drawing of the bass amplifier if you'd like.