Finishing my basement

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum but I wanted to get some feedback on others in the know about speaker placement.

I'm finishing my basement now (framed but no drywall) and I want to run speaker wire. I currently have Polk speakers in the front (RTi A9) and I want to finish the basement with a 7.1 surround.

I bought 2 pairs of RC60i's that I was going to install in the ceiling but then I saw (and heard) the FXiA4 and I was wondering if I should include those in place of one pair of RC60i speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

zvj8tnj0s7rr.png

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    In ceiling would most likely be the best for that room configuration. If the TV and pool table configuration could be swapped, a pair of wall mounted speakers would work as side surrounds.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited February 2019
    +1 to what @Emlyn said, but keep in mind if it's a drop ceiling those RC60i speakers
    will need to be braced or the tile might sag. Maybe install one pair in the wall right around where the corner pockets are (rack end), above the seated listening position.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Forum!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited February 2019
    If you have the room in the ceiling look at the 70-RT it is a match to the RTiA line and it is a killer in ceiling speaker.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    In ceiling would most likely be the best for that room configuration. If the TV and pool table configuration could be swapped, a pair of wall mounted speakers would work as side surrounds.

I was thinking about placing the FXiA4 speakers on the wall behind the couch. From what I've seen, these speakers work well behind the listener.
    I will install a pair of VS70RT speakers in the ceiling between the listener and the TV.
    Thoughts?

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    your room looks good for a 7.2.4 ATMOS DTS-X setup

FX speakers on the side wall right behind the couch. Get a pair of RTi-A4 and mount them on the wall behind the pool table. In ceiling speakers between the FX and Rti-A and in between the fronts and listening position.

Add an HSU or SVS sub then enjoy.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ceiling is the best to go for I think given the shape of the room.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ^ SPAM ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk