Finishing my basement

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum but I wanted to get some feedback on others in the know about speaker placement.

I'm finishing my basement now (framed but no drywall) and I want to run speaker wire. I currently have Polk speakers in the front (RTi A9) and I want to finish the basement with a 7.1 surround.

I bought 2 pairs of RC60i's that I was going to install in the ceiling but then I saw (and heard) the FXiA4 and I was wondering if I should include those in place of one pair of RC60i speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

zvj8tnj0s7rr.png

Comments

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,528
    In ceiling would most likely be the best for that room configuration. If the TV and pool table configuration could be swapped, a pair of wall mounted speakers would work as side surrounds.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,427
    edited February 25
    +1 to what @Emlyn said, but keep in mind if it's a drop ceiling those RC60i speakers
    will need to be braced or the tile might sag. Maybe install one pair in the wall right around where the corner pockets are (rack end), above the seated listening position.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Forum!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dolbyddolbyd Posts: 423
    edited February 25
    If you have the room in the ceiling look at the 70-RT it is a match to the RTiA line and it is a killer in ceiling speaker.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 7705, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, Perfect Wave AC-5 x8, Douglas jumpers, SVS Ultra speaker cables, Transparent IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, GIK room treatments

Office-Infinity Kappa 600, Kappa Center, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 5012, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 510C 48"

Master BR- LSi7, LSiC, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-PC 2000, Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" 800B

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    In ceiling would most likely be the best for that room configuration. If the TV and pool table configuration could be swapped, a pair of wall mounted speakers would work as side surrounds.

I was thinking about placing the FXiA4 speakers on the wall behind the couch. From what I've seen, these speakers work well behind the listener.
    I will install a pair of VS70RT speakers in the ceiling between the listener and the TV.
    Thoughts?

• mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,144
    your room looks good for a 7.2.4 ATMOS DTS-X setup

FX speakers on the side wall right behind the couch. Get a pair of RTi-A4 and mount them on the wall behind the pool table. In ceiling speakers between the FX and Rti-A and in between the fronts and listening position.

Add an HSU or SVS sub then enjoy.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ceiling is the best to go for I think given the shape of the room.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,091
    ^ SPAM ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk