Looking for my first turn table

I want to start and try out some vinyl.

On amazon they have the Audio-Technica LP-120 with very good reviews. Has anyone tried this TT before?

Thanks.

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    My daughter has it and it performs its duty pretty good.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    Or the Fluance RT83

Or a Project Essential
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I tried the AT LP-120 for a short while my first attempt at vinyl. It's nice and heavy, but you can hear everything through it, like lifting the lid, tapping on the plinth, etc. I returned it, but not due to any of that, more just that I didn't know anything about vinyl and wasn't enjoying it that first go round.

It's good to try out to see if you think you might enjoy getting into records (30-day return window with Amazon if you hate it), but if you're in any way serious about this, I'd recommend putting that money toward something a little better, possibly on the second hand market.

For a proper evaluation for the vinyl segment in general, if you'll be annoyed by record noise, remember to consider record maintenance supplies, like a nice brush, like the Hunt EDA; $23 and maybe a washer, like the Vinyl Styl Deep Groove Record Washer System; $69 A microfiber cloth won't cut it. Ask me how I know :)

Don't forget you need records :)
    Sucks having a nice new record player and only one or two records.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Hey @acmf74 , where do you live? We might find you a good vintage table on your local CraigsList. Many times there are local guys who refurbish vintage decks and sell them on CL for the same price as brand-new models, and the vintage would likely be much better quality.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I just got a Fluance RT82. Nice tt. They have a coupon for $25 off so that makes it a pretty reasonable price. Belt drive with servo speed controlled motor.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ^^Looks like a nice TT for 3 bills.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    The LP-120 will get you up and running and can help you dip your toes into the hobby. Be warned that the rabbit hole is deep if you start to venture further into vinyl equipment. If you know you're the type that likes to upgrade gear or build on your system, the LP-120 might not be the best starting point. However, if you want something that is going to be fairly simple to set up that work consistently, the LP-120 is a solid performer.

I also suggest looking into cleaning records sooner rather than later. Every system benefits from clean records, and the difference is fairly immediate if you've never cleaned records previously.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    I don't think you can go wrong with entry level from Pro-Ject or Rega.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • joecoulson
    Rabbit hole rears it’s head...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I have the LP120 collecting dust. If you're local to the North East shoot me a PM.

I like it, for what it is... An entry level TT with a built in phono for those that don't know how deep they want to go *snicker*.

I put a Shure 97xe on mine with no issue which did make a slight improvement. Yes, if you wrap on the cover while she is on, you will get a this through the speakers, but that should be expected. There are mods for this table. Some free (phono path removal, rca upgrade) and others....not. ;)

I did use the USB portion to rip my grandmother's recording sessions from the 1940's. It work OK. YMMV...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I've been watching phono make it's huge comeback for probably now a decade or more. I kinda want to get a table, get some records and enjoy the old format. Then I pick up my iPhone and control my MacBook Pro connected to my NAD DAC and think " why the hell would I ever want records, the fuss of changing sides ever 4 to 5 songs or have someone walk by and shake the needle. I like phono preamps and really nice tables with really nice analog interconnects connected BUT I just can't seem to pull that trigger.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    I enjoy listening to my table and I’ll always have one, but its kind of a hassle, kind of difficult to sound great, kind of worse than digital in most ways, kind of needs it’s own space, kind of expensive relatively, and kind of stresses me out. I kind of wish I never re-invested in it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited February 2019
    mantis wrote: »
    ...the fuss of changing sides ever 4 to 5 songs...
    hehe, you want records in part because of this, man :) It's an opportunity to be involved, in a way. The "ritual", as it's known. There's just something romantic about the analog experience, I think. At least, it is for me.

I draw the line at those crazy 45rpm double albums, though. 2 tracks per side is just too frequent for side changes. It's great fun in the beginning when just getting started with a turntable and records, but that novelty wears off quick, and disrupts the flow of the music experience, imho.

OP - don't fool yourself, though. If you're getting into this thinking that records are going to best digital in quality, without making a significant investment, you may find yourself sorely disappointed. Even if you do, you're still depending on the quality of the records you get, and a LOT of new records are complete crap.

Vinyl is a huge investment not only in cost for equipment and for each record, but also in time to get things just so. Set extremely low expectations, or prepare yourself for a measure of frustration here and there :)

Another thing to consider is, find recordings that lend themselves to the vinyl experience. That is, albums that you'll sit through. I find it a waste to buy a record these days for just one or two tracks.

Just a few notes to help you get a sense of what to expect.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Set and setting.
    ... as Harvard's Dr. Leary used to say.

He was talkin' about something else... but it fits playin' rekkids, too.

mm2psz1f9r3x.png
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I have the LP120 collecting dust. If you're local to the North East shoot me a PM.

I like it, for what it is... An entry level TT with a built in phono for those that don't know how deep they want to go *snicker*.

I put a Shure 97xe on mine with no issue which did make a slight improvement. Yes, if you wrap on the cover while she is on, you will get a this through the speakers, but that should be expected. There are mods for this table. Some free (phono path removal, rca upgrade) and others....not. ;)

I did use the USB portion to rip my grandmother's recording sessions from the 1940's. It work OK. YMMV...

I would suggest the Fluance RT82-85 over the AT-120 for all of the shortcomings you listed. The Fluance has a solid wood plinth, no built-in phono pre you need to remove, auto stop, and the motor’s speed is service controlled for accuracy. They’re similar in price and you can upgrade to an acrylic platter or better cartridge later (uses the same Technics / AT headshell and overhang). You choose what RCA cables to use too.

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2019
    mantis wrote: »
    I've been watching phono make it's huge comeback for probably now a decade or more. I kinda want to get a table, get some records and enjoy the old format. Then I pick up my iPhone and control my MacBook Pro connected to my NAD DAC and think " why the hell would I ever want records, the fuss of changing sides ever 4 to 5 songs or have someone walk by and shake the needle. I like phono preamps and really nice tables with really nice analog interconnects connected BUT I just can't seem to pull that trigger.

Smart man... Once you pull that trigger, it's all downhill from there. Then you end up like me. Fortunately, there is nowhere else I can go on my vinyl rig.
    oxuesn6a2l5a.jpeg
    lkk844xa5cwp.jpeg
    v3fur4n05xdq.jpeg
    00ghrt84p25j.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2019
    You could gold plate your turntable to match your cartridge. :D

I love that TT and cartridge! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    How much better can John's really sound than this?

h1331200M3D_MT.jpeg
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have quite a bit more research to do.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2019
    Well -- manage your expectations. :)
    Don't spend $2000 on an experiment. Bad way to start, IMO.
    Best thing to do, if you can do it, is find some "real" (as opposed to fashion-driven), umm, vinyl enthusiasts in your area and spend some quality time listening, looking, talking, and learning.

Perhaps (?!?!) you can find a decent quality used starter turntable (with or without preamp) locally. I would definitely avoid eBAY -- so many good turntables have met their fate due to distressingly terrible packing at the hands of their sellers :( The odds just aren't in one's favor.

Depending on how much money one wishes to spend -- for a starter tt, one'll (IMO)
    never go wrong with a 1970s (even early 1980s) era Technics direct drive tt that's been well cared for and is good working order. They are nothing special -- but they work.

I'll offer one other heretical thought. The latter 1980s brought us some pretty cheap and forgettable plastic junk for playing records (as demand had dropped to a trickle). Some of those very junky tts are simple and durable enough to be cheap, decent starter tts. Personal fave - the Technics SL-BD20 and its kin.

z80a3bwvpjwd.png
    (borrowed image -- I don't have any "in stock" at the moment :/ )

These have zero cachet and were, and still are, cheap -- new drive belts are readily and inexpensively available, and these will play records with no fuss, no muss
    and no bother. Virtually nothing to go wrong with one except breakage (they are plastic-y)! Dollar for dollar, still, I'd opine, a decent starter tt in 2019. :)

For better or worse, the SL-BD20 and its kin use the "P-mount" cartridge system -- but good quality P-mount cartridges are still available from Audio-Technica and Grado at reasonable prices, and replacement styli for many vintage P-mounts are still available as well.

KAB Electro Acoustics (known for, among other things, their SL-1200 mods, tweaks and upgrades) will gladly sell you slightly tarted-up examples of the direct drive cousins of the SL-BD20 for... well... not insane sums of money if they have any in stock: https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm

EDIT: The above is just a bunch of my opinions, offered as-is and FWIW. :)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • joecoulson
    As John can surely attest, getting the right synergy (TT, Cartridge, phono pre) can yield results better than any other source IMO
    Mine happens to be the best source I have in my system. Not to say I have the best TT, but it (probably a lot to do with the cart) beats the $900 streamer and the Denon sacd player.
    For me the actual getting up and flipping over and selecting new records is a more engaging way to listen. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I like to veg and browse tidal without moving anything but my hand, but nothing has the engaging experience as a whole like my vinyl. And finally imaging and soundstage is light years above any other source for me. What stereo was created for.