Samsung to quit making new Blu-ray players??

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/17/18228584/samsung-stops-producing-blu-ray-players

Changes seem to be happening fast with physical media...

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. Those that want the best are a niche market.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The article is confusing. Seems from other articles that Samsung is saying they will not develop any new 4K models because they have realized they can't compete for market share with Sony and Panasonic. I would not recommend a Samsung over a Sony or Panasonic player now anyway, but I did buy a Samsung 4K player when they first came out. It was poorly built but worked ok.

One thing I have really noticed in the last couple of years is that even the big box stores like Target and Walmart in my area are carrying hardly any physical media. A Target store I go to once a year remodeled last year to be in the store's latest format and I went in looking for their media section and found basically one row with new and recent video releases at full MSRP. Before the remodel, the store had probably six times the floor space for Blu Ray/DVD/4K discs. Their CD selection was even smaller. Best Buy has beefed up their selections from what they used to be though.

I think the model of selling physical media online rather than in stores is way better, especially through Amazon Prime.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Samsung makes crappy products in my opinion especially their Blu ray players. We still have Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer Elite for good quality models. I think it's safe to say we are all in good hands.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2019
    Never mind. Posting without coffee has it's challenges...

Please disregard.

To.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Never mind. Posting without coffee has it's challenges...

Please disregard.

To.

Ahem....cough cough, dressing before coffee is also a challenge for you. :):):)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Anything before coffee is a challenge for me....

I don't like the Samsung players. I've had two of them and they suck One was a low end and the other mid range ($150) both had the same problems and needed to be unplugged every month for a reboot.

I've been happy with my Sony and Panasonic players. The Oppo is just fantastic for picture and sound.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Streaming is taking over much of this market. I haven't bought or rented a Bluray in a few years.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I just canceled my Netflix DVD account.
    Thought I'd use it, but I've had the same 3 DVDs site's here for 2 months!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I have an older midgrade Samsung BD from ~2013. The picture and speed have been above par IMO. How are the Sony and Panasonic at playing media off a multi TB hard drive?

IMO the Samsung does a really good job of playing movies, clips, FLAC files, MP3's right off a multi TB HD. It supports a LOT of formats and so far odd resolutions from phones and such have not been an issue. The menu structure is ok for movies and clips, but a little cumbersome for MP3 and FLAC.
  • a multi layer issue that combines the low cost of internet speeds and streaming services. With about every TV sold within the last 3 years have the built in ability to stream full HD to UHD you can only look at the cost factor of producing an additional piece of gear that is not truly needed as it once was. In todays world you can cut out several pieces of audio and video gear that we all chased at one time for the best quality. You now have AVR's that have the ability to stream music from a variety of sources including your own collection, combine that with a smart TV that comes with Roku or chromecast that gives you the video streaming you can cut out 2 or more pieces of gear from any setup. We look back and complain about how Napster and other early digital music sources killed off quality sounding music, but now the technology has appeared to have caught up to please both sides of the argument.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • When we got our Sammy 65 4k we picked up their little curve blue ray player and it's like a toy to me. Works but nothing magical. Love the curved screen though.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I’ll start with I’m not a fan of Samsung products.

Samsung, in general, usually targets the mid-range price in many of their products. With their decision to exit the BD market, it’s another bad sign for those who enjoy spinning those silver disks.

I can understand people gravitating toward streaming. A new release in 4K, costs about $30. Of all the movies released last year, I’m pretty sure that there was less than 10 that I would even consider buying at that price point. Just seems the industry is putting out content that just doesn’t interest me. Sure special effects have gotten better, but most everything else has gotten worse.

When it comes to quality between physical players versus streaming the same content, it seems to be getting closer. For the most part, there isn’t much, if any, difference between low end players and streaming. To see/hear differences, you have to get a player in the $500 and up. There may be an exception out there, but probably not three of them.

If the majority of people are happy with MP3 type quality, or less, with music, they will probably be happy with the same quality when it comes to movies. Although I understand manufacturers getting out of this market, I hope a few will continue to remain in it.
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    I’ll start with I’m not a fan of Samsung products.

Samsung, in general, usually targets the mid-range price in many of their products. With their decision to exit the BD market, it’s another bad sign for those who enjoy spinning those silver disks.

I can understand people gravitating toward streaming. A new release in 4K, costs about $30. Of all the movies released last year, I’m pretty sure that there was less than 10 that I would even consider buying at that price point. Just seems the industry is putting out content that just doesn’t interest me. Sure special effects have gotten better, but most everything else has gotten worse.

When it comes to quality between physical players versus streaming the same content, it seems to be getting closer. For the most part, there isn’t much, if any, difference between low end players and streaming. To see/hear differences, you have to get a player in the $500 and up. There may be an exception out there, but probably not three of them.

If the majority of people are happy with MP3 type quality, or less, with music, they will probably be happy with the same quality when it comes to movies. Although I understand manufacturers getting out of this market, I hope a few will continue to remain in it.

Oh they will and are.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    rpf65 wrote: »

Really? The cheap LG is my sig is clearly superior on audio and video when playing a standard blu ray vs streaming the same movie HD on vudu or netflix. Now I will admit that on my very mid level tv the picture quality difference is more subtle, but the audio quality is FAR superior
    rpf65 wrote: »

I agree with you 100% there. The clear audio difference I hear doesn't matter to most people.

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer