Starting over with Polk RTiA9 Tower Speakers

TLovesTunes
TLovesTunes Posts: 18
edited February 2019 in Troubleshooting
Hey all. So my ex was a huge audiofile to put it mildly. He had Paradigms, then Avantgards which were heaven, but that's way out of my budget. So I just bought two Polk RTiA9s and I'm
a bit embarrassed to admit I have no idea what else I need for these. I'm all about sound quality and clarity, but not loud volume necessarily. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2019
    You will need a powerful integrated amp or separate pre amp and power amp to properly drive them. Your choice should have a sound signature on the warm side of neutral as the top end of those speakers is on the bright side. What is your source, your cables, etc.?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks for your reply. I haven't bought cables yet. Wanted to make sure I was making the correct choices before getting anything, so open to suggestions on it all hehe thanks
  • So as a starting point, I've been reading a lot of discussions and want to better know my options. What would you guys recommend as best fit for RTiA9's if money were not part of the criteria. Best setup. From what I've been reading, it sounds like Pioneer SC-63 or MARANTZ SR5011 with Parasound 1200 or 1500 and Blue jeans or Douglass 10 gauge cables. Am I even close?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2019

Welcome to the forum!

What is your intended usage?
    Music, only, or Movies and TV sound also?

How big is your room?
    Is it acoustically dead, live or neutral.
    Do you intend on adding a sub to the mixture?
    Have you used subs in the past?

The RtiA9's while having decent bass, are somewhat lacking in deep bass.
    That may or may not be important to you.

As said above they are somewhat bright and the Monitor line is more neutral for sure.
  • Tramsparent_
    Tramsparent_ Posts: 14
    edited February 2019
    Yes, the RTi-A9 is a speaker that definitely leans toward the bright side. Mine were used with a newer mid-range Receiver, in a bright-room with speaker cables that (unfortunately) promoted highs.
    This combo proved to be a little to "sparkly" (go figure).
    I couldn't tame my particular combination with either acoustic tile nor toe-in/out adjustments.
    They are decent in the all-important mid-range.
    As far as bass production, the distance from the rear wall is important with them and you may be walking a tight-rope between satisfactory bass production and muddy bass.
    As mentioned, they DO require a fairly powerful amp and I found their sensitivity rating to be a little optimistic in the real world..
    If they are used in an acoustically dead room with an older/warmer receiver or amp and your main listening source is albums with a TT, cartridge and phono section that produce a warmer sound, they may be a perfect fit.
  • K_M Thanks for the reply!

Intended usage is 50/50 music & TV sound

I have an old converted hard loft with 18tft ceilings. Prolly 30X80ft for ground floor. Pretty cavernous space, so they'll be killer in there space wise.

Acoustically live, aside from minimal furniture. Thinking if I've gone the distance to get the speakers I may as well get the SUB and do it right. I had a subs in the past, but I wasn't the one in charge of operating them, so now it's a bit of a learning curve for me. Wish I'd paid more attention in the past ;) Recommendations on SUBS?

Regarding the RtiA9's lacking decent bass. I love the clarity and depth of range from good speakers. I'm not a huge fan of base. Plus I don't want to the neighbours losing it with me

Not really sure I understand what neutral is yet? What are your recos for vs the Monitor line?

Thanks in advance
  • fastz28 thanks for the reco. You did this whole setup, carver amp and all for $600?!!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited February 2019
    Not really sure I understand what neutral is yet?
    Sound ranges from warm<neutral>bright. Warm side of neutral (amp, cables) would compliment a bright speaker.

Subs can get expensive, but SVS, HSU Research and Velodyne are recommended a lot here and are very good.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited February 2019
    So as a starting point, I've been reading a lot of discussions and want to better know my options. What would you guys recommend as best fit for RTiA9's if money were not part of the criteria. Best setup. From what I've been reading, it sounds like Pioneer SC-63 or MARANTZ SR5011 with Parasound 1200 or 1500 and Blue jeans or Douglass 10 gauge cables. Am I even close?
    Are you looking to buy new or used components? That Pioneer SC-63 that you mentioned is a 2012 model. I don't know much about the current lineup of Pioneer SC models, but the older models are highly regarded. I just want to mention one thing, since you mentioned the SC-63. The 2011-12 models (SC-55 to 68) have an issue with "UE22 Errors".

Re: UE22 Error

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2066818-ue22-error-master-thread-pioneer-you-listening.html

"After researching, analyzing, and hypothesizing the cause of the UE22 Error and through a diligent community effort here on AVSForum the cause of UE22 Error has been found. The root cause has been isolated to defective Texas Instruments DSP chips that globally affects all Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers manufactured in 2011/2012."
  • I think by lacking low bass they may mean in the sub 30hz region. With adequate power, 200wpc or more they have no problem making plenty of useable tight bass down to ~30hz as I’ve measured them in my room. No surprise as their stated lower -3db limit is 30hz, though in my experience they do fall of very quickly after that.

If neighbors are a concern sub 30hz bass may not be that big of a deal anyway.

Parasound amps are a great match to the RTi series. Lots of current for all those drivers and will tame the natural brightness/forwardness of the speakers.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Thanks all. I really appreciate your help! I'm not necessarily looking at used components, but I'm a firm believer that quality is quality and if I can get the best fit for the space and speakers for less, I'm all ears. Recos on receivers?
  • Thanks, I'll take a look for carvers and see what I can find.
  • Marantz seem to be known for being a bit smoother, more musical which helps to further tame brightness.

Haven't shopped for amps in a while...I got curious.

More than enough power on the inexpensive side: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9c5ec-parasound-hca-1200-ii-solid-state

Newer:
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9c2a5-parasound-a-21-black-250w-into-8-solid-state

More than enough for a full set of speakers:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARASOUND-HCA-2205A-POWER-AMPLIFIER/163545796451?epid=117561038&hash=item261416cf63:g:R7kAAOSw6~pcP6CV:rk:1:pf:0
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Inspector 24 haha thanks for the quick hunt this is very helpful.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    B&K also makes nice warm amps. A reference 200.2 would pair really nicely with those speakers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Hey guys, the Onkyo TX-RZ820 7.2 is on sale today. Would it be sufficient to power my RTiA9s? Thanks in advance.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Jesse would say that no AVR is capable of properly driving them.
  • TLovesTunes
    TLovesTunes Posts: 18
    edited February 2019
    Sorry it didn't refresh to show your reply. Although I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
  • Clipdat
    You will need a powerful integrated amp or separate pre amp and power amp to properly drive them.
  • I see. I think to previous suggestion, I may just take these back. I'm in over my head and the learning curve is too steep. Thanks for your reply.
  • Clipdat
    I disagree with you being in over your head. You're actually almost there, just a few more key steps and decisions to make.

You mentioned 50/50 TV & music. Stereo, right?

Going with a 7.2 surround sound receiver like that Onkyo would be a waste in that case.
  • I really want to keep them, I just feel like I'm going to have to buy everything brand new to get the right components. Older models for example could be an alternative if I knew which ones to shop for.

Yes, 50/50 HD TV and music. Stereo yes.
  • Clipdat
    What is your music source? ex. CD, vinyl, etc.
  • Clipdat
    Also, what is your budget?
  • My source is macbook pro hehe and I was hoping to get it all done for under a 1k
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    Maybe this would be adequate at $1,125: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253670991852

This has a built in DAC that would make your Mac sound a lot better. Just not sure if it would do the RTiA9s justice: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CACXA80

This would be "better" if you can stretch the budget:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFM5SI

• Clipdat
    But basically this is the category of stuff that you want to be looking at, in my opinion. Integrated amplifiers, not receivers/AVRs as those are designed for surround sound/home theater use.
  • Ohh got it. That makes sense. I'll have a look. Really appreciate you steering me in the right direction.
  • The audio shop I was in suggested a Marantz PM6006 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC which was just under 1k. But I wasn't sure that and cables were all I needed. Are the brands you suggested better in your opinion?