2.3 TL Inductor upgrade?

Looking for recommendations on the next upgrade. I've completed XOs with gimpod boards and sonicaps/mills, binding posts, dynamatted driver baskets, RDO tweeters, Larry's rings and 1000VA dreadnought. Looking now towards the inductors but after reading the SDA compendium and the vr3 sda upgrades site, I'm still not sure what exactly I would order. It also seems like some tweaking may be required to achieve correct inductor values. Did some searching on inductors in the forum and am not seeing a lot of info.

The other alternative I'm considering is an IC upgrade. Currently using signal cable analog II but also have some MIT terminator 3s in the mix. I'd like to standardize all the ICs.

If you had to pick one upgrade over the other, which one would you choose?
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2018
    @westmassguy gave me a list when i have time I'll try and find it. All should be tested as they can be a bit off as i found out.
    Also @VR3 will be a go to as well.
  • pitdogg2
    Do not believe parts express carries the correct inductors.
    Jentzan and Erse direct.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    BartDaws wrote: »
    IC's are awesome. I'm a noob so don't know which one. You do need that SONIC BARRIER at parts express so crank up the free shipping on the coils.

Were you dropped on your head as a baby or is your IQ naturally low?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Any chance this thread can stay civil and focused on the question at hand?
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mills.html

2 x 000-0818 - .875mh 18awg

2 x 000-1489 - .4mh 22awg

2 x 000 - 1452 -.30mh 22awg

2 - 000 - 1480 - 1.8mh 20 awg

This is the only place I've found the .5 ohm vashay-mills 12 watt resistor so might want to get a few as well. Can't hurt to have some on hand.

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils16Gauge/ESQ55-16-18000

You'll need 2 ^^^^^^^ :)

All of these will need to be tested and some unwound to meet spec's

Some of mine were quite a bit off and off course the Erse will need to be unwound to 16mh.

Hope this helps @dpowell

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mills.html

2 x 000-0818 - .875mh 18awg

2 x 000-1489 - .4mh 22awg

2 x 000 - 1452 -.30mh 22awg

2 - 000 - 1480 - 1.8mh 20 awg

This is the only place I've found the .5 ohm vashay-mills 12 watt resistor so might want to get a few as well. Can't hurt to have some on hand.

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils16Gauge/ESQ55-16-18000

You'll need 2 ^^^^^^^ :)

All of these will need to be tested and some unwound to meet spec's

Some of mine were quite a bit off and off course the Erse will need to be unwound to 16mh.

Hope this helps @dpowell

Beat me to it Ivan. The 1.8 needs to be unwound. and would advise checking all of them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Thanks! I will take a look at those links.
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    I’m the original owner of a pair of 2.3s (not TLs) that are 30 years old that have upgraded tweeters but no other mods. I plan on having the crossovers done by DHS and I am considering doing the inductors as well. My only concern is the whether my amp can handle the drop in impedance that is created with the new inductors. I’m using a Parasound A21 and I was wondering if anyone has done the inductor upgrade and is using a A21.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    The 1.8 needs to be unwound. and would advise checking all of them.

Just curious, when unwinding the inductors, are you using a certain freq when testing with an LCR meter? If so, what do you generally use?

Thanks.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • westmassguy
    gmcman wrote: »
    The 1.8 needs to be unwound. and would advise checking all of them.

Just curious, when unwinding the inductors, are you using a certain freq when testing with an LCR meter? If so, what do you generally use?

Thanks.

The meter does that in the background, depending on what range I set it to.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    bem wrote: »
    My only concern is the whether my amp can handle the drop in impedance that is created with the new inductors. I’m using a Parasound A21 and I was wondering if anyone has done the inductor upgrade and is using a A21.

I have heavily modded CRS's, 1C's and 1.2tl's with all inductors, including oversized/low impedance SDA inductors, upgraded on each and my HCA-1500As (2 of them) have been very happy for the past 6 years. Never run too hot, no clipping and rock solid. Comparing specs from each amp you should have no problem.

From the Parasound website:

HCA-1500A
    Continuous Power Output - Stereo:
    205 Watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 8 Ω, both channels driven
    315 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, both channels driven
    Continuous Power Output - Mono:
    630 watts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω
    Current Capacity:
    60 amperes peak per channel

A-21
    Continuous power output:
    250 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, all channels driven
    400 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, all channels driven
    750 watts RMS x 1, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω

Current capacity:

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gmcman

Yes...that's what I'm curious about....what frequency do you set the meter at? The inductor in question...the 1.80 being unwound to 1.75.

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2019
    @gimpod provided a helpful post from several years ago re. SDA inductors...in case curious minds haven't seen or have forgotten it:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/138234/inductor-dcr-insanity-for-sdas/p1
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    DATS software is great for measurements
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2

Yes...that's what I'm curious about....what frequency do you set the meter at? The inductor in question...the 1.80 being unwound to 1.75.

Test them all. All of mine were all over the place under, over, way over. Then make them all as close as possible and match to each other as best you can.
    It will make a difference as I'm sure you know.
  • westmassguy

I set the Inductance range, not the frequency.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited February 2019
    JayCee wrote: »
    Current capacity:
    Yeah, but that's a totally useless spec unless they used a musically-relevant test protocol to generate that figure.

Driving a dead short for 0.0000000000001 seconds doesn't give results that matter in the real world.

I think what he's trying to get at is that the indicated inductance changes with frequency; so what is the frequency used for testing? My meter has a couple of choices, but it's been so long since I've used it that I don't remember what the choices are. Perhaps 1KHz and 2KHz?
  • westmassguy
    The frequency for a given Inductance range is not listed on my meter, only the inductance is. It's probably in the manual, which is packed away somewhere.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Big difference in the readings at various frequency settings for inductance meters. Setting mine to 120Hz gets me really close to the stock ratings. The 1KHz setting reads significantly higher than the stock ratings on Jantzen, Erse & Solen and the reported results of Polk OEM bobbin-wound coils depending on the size. The higher the "L", the further off. It seems to like air-cores better than the iron-core versions. The Erse offerings seem to read further off at the 1kHz setting.

My meter (which I "borrow" from work when needed) is an Extech 380-something that gets calibrated by an outside lab every 6 months.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Interesting discussion. Does anyone know how Janzten, Erse or Solen measure theirs?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    Hang on, L reads lower at higher frequency test settings while the resistance reads higher on my Extech. Need to get some sleep. The lower "L" Solens and Jantzens read really close to ratings at the 120Hz setting on this thing. These Super Q's were going into a 3.1 rebuild so I was unwinding down to 18. I ran them down to 18.5 to allow for the Extech variation. I assume Erse has better equipment but I have a mess on my hands with the mate to this 20. It was reading 22 out of the box.....

Erse 20.000 mH Super Q at 120 Hz reading 20.53.
    ybf3ltf41o7e.jpg

Same Super Q reading 19.76mH at the 1kHz setting

dgf1wqhztjyi.jpg

HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• westmassguy
    When measuring the SuperQs, or any Steel or Iron Core Inductors, make absolutely sure they're nowhere near any type of Magnetic or Ferrous Metals. This includes metal capped work tables, and even hidden screws.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RobbyKY
    Amen to the "avoid metal workbench" comment^^^^.

Mine is non-magnetic engineered resin. I played around with the big OEM Polk 18mH inductor and the stock steel bolt that came with it. Note the influence adding the steel 1/4" bolt through the center of the air-core winding has on the measurements. Makes you wonder if Polk designed for this or if it was a cost-cutting move made by manufacturing some time later? I purchased non-ferrous bolts to hold my dreadnought isolation transformers in the housings and they are considerably more "costly" than normal steel versions.

Freq 18 mH SDA (22awg)

Without the stock bolt
    120 hz 17.874mH 6.57Ω
    1 kHz 17.831mH 6.69Ω

With the bolt
    120 hz 19.557mH 6.85Ω
    1 kHz 18.593mH 10.24Ω

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I don't have my LCR manual in front of me, and I figure @westmassguy would have mentioned it if it were necessary. But, just in case, if I recall correctly, for many LCR's, depending on the inductor value you are checking, there is a preferred frequency. Some values do overlap frequences, and depending on the inductor value an internal calibration is required, meaning either the leads are shorted or left open before taking a reading. Just changing the frequency without this step can give different values.
  • gmcman
    edited February 2019
    Schurkey wrote: »
    I think what he's trying to get at is that the indicated inductance changes with frequency; so what is the frequency used for testing?

Correct, doesn't seem to vary much between 100-120Hz, but more around 1kHz.

Copy thanks...no worries.
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    I played around with the big OEM Polk 18mH inductor and the stock steel bolt that came with it. Note the influence adding the steel 1/4" bolt through the center of the air-core winding has on the measurements. Makes you wonder if Polk designed for this or if it was a cost-cutting move made by manufacturing some time later?

Interesting, my small OE bobbin coils measured very good, the woofer coils not so much, but the big coil was off about like yours, I will recheck mine without the bolt.
  • RobbyKY
    pkquat wrote: Some values do overlap frequences, and depending on the inductor value an internal calibration is required, meaning either the leads are shorted or left open before taking a reading. Just changing the frequency without this step can give different values.

I always run the lead calibration step as force of habit. Hit "SET" twice, remove leads, hit "Enter". When "CAL SHrt" displays, attach & short leads and hit "ENTER" again.

I did go back and read the Extech owner's manual just now. Interestingly it has a note that says 120Hz is mainly used for "Large Electrolytic Capacitors" while the 1kHz setting is used for "most other test". Can honestly say I never noticed that before, always a learning experience but of course it seems this meter gets closer to the listed values of the coils on the 120 setting. Now I'm going to need to go play around.

I ended up ordering two new 18mH Super Q's directly from Erse last week for my 3.1 project since PE only stocked the 20's and found Erse doesn't even list a 22 mH as an option. Probably should have returned them to PE before I unwound but now I have these just sitting around. Traveling the rest of the week but I may get medieval on them next week and try to understand what's going on with 'em. I've got an x-ray, SEM, XRF etc at my disposal, I'll pot them up, section and see what's really different between them.

Here's where I was with the two labeled 20.000mH parts on the 120Hz setting:

#1 20.53mH, 0.91 ohms, 1.23mm wire OD and 763.7 grams.
    #2 22.67mH, 0.84 ohms, 1.24mm wire OD and 765.0 grams.

And here's where I was when I finished:

#1 18.01mH, 0.84 dcr and 729.2 grams. I removed 34.5 grams of copper
    #2 18.02mH, 0.71 dcr and 700.3 grams. I had to remove 64.7 grams of copper

See why I didn't trust what was happening? Started out at the same weight but had to remove twice the copper to get down to 18? Core stack measured the same height and the overall weight was the same but #2 started out 2mH over listed rating then required removal of twice the copper. Perplexing huh?

• pitdogg2
    My super Q's from Erse were off and mislabeled. One 18mH was 20mH or above IIRC. I expected there to be some +/- % but the 20+ would have made a substantial difference one would think.
  • westmassguy
    I measure everything now, even from Jantzen. When I'm upgrading crossovers, I always measure the old Polk inductors. They are rarely what they're supposed to be. I did a pair of 3rd Gen SRS-2s, one sub-bass spool was 9.6mH, the other was 16mH.
    My LCR measures at 1KHz BTW.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • I measure everything now, even from Jantzen. When I'm upgrading crossovers, I always measure the old Polk inductors. They are rarely what they're supposed to be. I did a pair of 3rd Gen SRS-2s, one sub-bass spool was 9.6mH, the other was 16mH.
    My LCR measures at 1KHz BTW.

That is a big difference, I think I may invest in a LCR meter any recommendations Dave
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub