Speaker identity???

jjwt8u0q3pgv.jpg

Can somebody identify the speaker for me?

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    RTA-11tl with a replaced (albeit wrong) top driver. The "tl" version had a flap on top of the tweeter (SL-3000) which these do not have. So..., it could be a chop job. It looks like they've had a rough life...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Those look nice & have alot of potential. Pull the drivers & see what they are & Loctite them for future shifting issues. You could upgrade the tweeters if you decide to keep them. Alot of people here would love to have them
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited February 2019
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/38755/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-amp-more-all-models-except-sda#latest.... Make sure you get the correct RTA11 model you have. There was also the Monitor 11 which some called RTA11s also. I could never understand that as i have owned the Monitor 11 speakers
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited February 2019
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    smglbrth wrote: »
    RTA-11tl with a replaced (albeit wrong) top driver. The "tl" version had a flap on top of the tweeter (SL-3000) which these do not have. So..., it could be a chop job. It looks like they've had a rough life...

Looks like the flap is still there, albeit cut off.
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    boston1450 wrote: »
    .... Loctite them for future shifting issues.

I can imagine what you are talking about here but would you please expand on it a little. How to you Loctite them.... how to apply, how much. Is there an existing thread on this. I have used a dab of expoy before, but never Loctite.

Thanks!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Search "power grab" and there are many threads on this and other material options.
  • boston1450
    edited February 2019
    reverb wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »
    .... Loctite them for future shifting issues.

I can imagine what you are talking about here but would you please expand on it a little. How to you Loctite them.... how to apply, how much. Is there an existing thread on this. I have used a dab of expoy before, but never Loctite.

Thanks!

Many people move speakers in transit or in the house. One slight drop & the speaker magnet shifts Because the old glue is aged that is holding the magnet in place.. Under 5.00 it cost to help this not happen..... Take your 2 top MW speaker out on each cabinet. Put a bead of Loctite on each side of the magnet to help prevent the magnet from shifting. Each speaker should have a date on them & MWxxxx # on them........ If the stock gasket around the speakers are ok-then go ahead & reuse it when putting speakers back to cabinet...... Once done with speakers back in cabinet. Lightly push in & hold the bottom Passive you should notice the top 2 speakers come out. They should stay out at least 3-5 seconds. This checks for air leaks. If it doesnt stay out Ya got a leak
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Its fun to get to know your speakers :) by doing this you get a idea how old they are. Maintaining magnet shifting issues that CAN/WILL happen with these old speakers. Making sure you have the correct speakers ( people have put any MW that fits in them ).... Lightly snug all screws on EVERYTHING including cup on rear. So the sealed cabinet is sealed. Report back. Enjoy
    Randy/Maine
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Thanks boston1450. Figured the procedure was about the same as with epoxy.
  • boston1450
    Your very welcome. Enjoy those speakers. If you ever decide to upgrade those tweeters you will not regret it. I have the bigger RTA's the 15tl's & did it. Best upgrade money can buy. Polk may still have them & Polk Forum members get discount last i knew. Enjoy
    Randy/Maine
  • I brought WAYYYY worse condition RTA11TL back in working and good cosmetic order. 2 shifted drivers, missing tweeters, got them all replaced, sealed up and even found perfect intact grills.

Good speakers worth the time.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member