Phono preamp help

Bigbang
Bigbang Posts: 233
edited February 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
I need some advice on a decent phono preamp. I purchased a great little Thule pre that does not have one built in.

I’m not sure of a budget because I have no idea what one might cost but if I could find something under 100 that would be great.

I have an ortofon omega mm cartridge

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    $100 would be tough. If that’s the budget, I’d probably buy a $20 one off Amazon to get by as you save some funds.

$300 is probably the price range for a decent used one. I have been more than happy in the $400-$600 price range, but of course there are lots of options costing much, much more.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    What is the rest of your system? Turntable, amp, speakers...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Suggesting a 400-600 dollar phono for a 36 dollar cartridge seems a bit overkill. Find yourself a used Cambridge Solo/651p or the like. The art dj pre on amazon gets lots of attention for the money
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Bigbang
    The system is on the budget end

Uturn turntable
    Adcom 545
    SDA-CRS
    SQB Touch
    Goodwill CD player
  • Bigbang
    I did see the DJ pre as well as the lititle bear 7 just to dip a bit into tubes. Thanks for that.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I would go for the UTurn Pluto at $100, about half that used - give/take.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Bigbang
    Good suggestion at .005 THD
  • hochpt21
    edited February 2019
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Suggesting a 400-600 dollar phono for a 36 dollar cartridge seems a bit overkill. Find yourself a used Cambridge Solo/651p or the like. The art dj pre on amazon gets lots of attention for the money

If he has his system listed in the sig, I can’t see it on my phone which is why I followed up with the gear question.

Now seeing the gear, I agree.
  • A lot of folks have recommended the Schiit Mani.

I had a Hagerman Bugle that I liked, and was an improvement over the phono pre that I had in my Rogue Audio Sphinx at the time.

Both are a little over your budget, but their versatility will allow you to change cartridges.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Get a used Parasound z-phono, you can get those for a hundy. Great bang for the buck. Not the USB version, just the regular z-phono.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Hey @Bigbang - I just bought Zach's Lounge Audio and it will be replacing my Cambridge Audio 651p. If all works out, I'll be listing the Cambridge for sale. I bought it off of Rick88 about a year and a half ago for $125 shipped (actually gave him more than his reduced price since he was needing to sell stuff quick to raise cash). I'll be listing it for $100 shipped. I don't have any current pictures, but here's the original ad. It's exactly the same condition as in those pics.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177236/fs-cambridge-audio-651p-mm-mc-phono-preamp#latest

Let me know if you'd be interested and I'll give you first 'dibs' when I get around to swapping in the Lounge!

No pressure, as there are a lot of other great suggestions above too! Just throwing it out there.

-Al
  • Bigbang
    edited February 2019
    Al,

I just ordered an art dj pre last night. It was 50 bucks and I’ve heard really good things about it although probably not as good as a Cambridge Audio 651p. I really appreciate the thought. I’m sure it will sell quick and if not Amazon just might get the dj returned.

Thanks Al.

David
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    David - no worries! That Art DJ Pre looks like a neat little preamp. The adjustable gain is nice, and the price is great! If it doesn't work out for you, let me know. I'll give you first dibs on mine. I might have other interest as well, so no worries if you pass.

• Bigbang
    I did buy one. I like it. GE tubes sounds way better than the supplied tubes from China. Gotta ground it and sounds way better on low gain.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because while I’ve listened to very high end systems this is the best I have owned to date so I have a somewhat limited range to compare.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited March 2019
    These walk all over those GE tubes. By far the best tube i ever ran in my tube buffer.

https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=955

Western Electric 403b was another but they are 40+$ a pair
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Might I suggest MoFi's StudioPhono? Get an open box from Crutchfield for less than 250USD. Very flexible and great bang for your buck.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    These walk all over those GE tubes. By far the best tube i ever ran in my tube buffer.

Hey pitdogg2 do they match the tubes from tube store if you buy multiples or are they just all manufactured the same? I was checking out riverstone below and they match the specs but they are getting very old stock and checking them all. Makes sense to me but I’m just dipping my toes into this tube stuff. I bought a new to me B&K pre several months ago with no phono in so trying to get back to my vinyl. Thanks!

https://www.riverstoneaudio.com/pair-of-ge-jan-5654w-vacuum-tubes

Hey pitdogg2 do they match the tubes from tube store if you buy multiples or are they just all manufactured the same? I was checking out riverstone below and they match the specs but they are getting very old stock and checking them all. Makes sense to me but I’m just dipping my toes into this tube stuff. I bought a new to me B&K pre several months ago with no phono in so trying to get back to my vinyl. Thanks!

https://www.riverstoneaudio.com/pair-of-ge-jan-5654w-vacuum-tubes

Also, I really like the price of those Russian tubes! I need all the deals I can get with three kids. 😬
  • pitdogg2
    I have not purchased from them. I used them for picture purposes. I bought mine off ebay from across the pond... Ukraine I believe. I paid much more for mine and I had no complaints. They were available matched from US sellers from time to time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited March 2019
    FWIW...

I bought some cheap-ish Rooski (well, Sovietsky, I suppose... NOS) tubes for the infamous flammulatory Monoprice hybrid amp from The Tube Store (https://www.thetubestore.com/ , not "The Tubes Store" https://tubes-store.com/ ) and I was very happy with the whole purchasing experience (and the tubes). I know nothing about The Tubes Store other than that they always come up when I search for certain tube types via Google. :)

Getting matched tubes requires someone to match them (with a transconductance-type tube tester like a Hickok TV-7, etc.). All vendors that I know of include at least a nominal charge for so doing.

Matching tubes is only really critical in cases of power (output) tubes that operate, e.g., as push-pull pair in a fixed-bias circuit, sharing a bias supply. In that case, the two tubes must operate extremely similarly, else one will be stressed due to its inbalance with the other.

B)
  • Great thanks for all the info guys! So it looks like its not a big deal that these aren’t perfectly matched for the phono preamp listed above. I will check out the new site listed above by mhardy6647 and probably buy some rooski tubes today. I was going to look at buying last night but fell asleep listening to my new Floyd SACD and woke back up at 4am. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I guess that may work out cause now I’ve got a new web site to look at. 👍
  • One more question: 😬
    So what do do you guys think about these (links below)? I read somewhere today (I can’t find where now) that these Phillips blue glass were hard to get and really good but I don’t know I’m not an expert in this stuff. I know pitdog2 really liked the Voskhods and they’re about $20 more. Then there’s the Mullards?? 🙄

Any additional advice is much appreciated thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Codes-Pair-Philips-Blue-Glass-NOS-5654-6AK5W-EF95-Tubes-Mullard-BEL-LDot/153397647777?pageci=807e3aff-b8c6-4f9e-81ac-dff233607e17

Or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-VOSKHOD-6ZH1P-EV-6j1p-ev-5654-ef95-Matched-Pair-Little-Dot-Amp-III-IV/252223475771?hash=item3ab9b0d03b:g:MoAAAOSwucFalBJG

Or

https://www.thetubestore.com/mullard-6ak5w-5654
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I bought a Schiit Mani for an econo-rig for guests at the beach and have been trying it out temporarily in the den rig lately. I'm shocked at how much enjoyment I get out of it. I have not felt an urgent need to return to other available phono preamps (Jolida, Belles, PSAudio NWPC). Not that those are dream team comps or anything; but, with the AT cart and Budgie SUT, the Mani is very adequate and extremely enjoyable. Not really remarkable in any category except musicality. It's just fun to listen to. I've been on a Bill Evans tear lately and, after many albums, still want to listen with that little box in the loop.

There are several here who dismiss Schiit gear for various reasons, but IMO the Mani is ridiculously good for the money. No idea how it might sound outside (stepped up) MM settings; but, given the return policy, I see no reason not to try one in your own rig.

As background, I should add that I do own and enjoy other Schiit gear. I'm not gaga or anything - well, maybe I am a little in love with the Yggy - but I really like the sound and value provided (Magni 3, old-as-hell Asgaard used by my son now, Valhalla, Saga, and Yggy).

I recommend you try one out.

Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • pitdogg2
    Those Voskhod's also have gold plated pins. FWIW

Some mullards are new Russian manufacturerd. Those appear to be older before Russia bought the rights to manufacture them. The flying saucer/UFO getter is a dead give away to Russian tube.
    I have no love for the Russian 6ak5 Mullards i bought them twice and both times they were HORRIBLE ...

Western Electric 403b
    Tung-Sol
    Seimens
    Hytron

All were great tubes
    FWIW
  • Bigbang
    edited March 2019
    All great information vc and pitdogg. If I may ask vc what does your beach/den/budget system look like? I’m always interested in finding the most bang for the buck. 15k speaker cables are great I’m sure but a novelty to me. I’m interested in 85-90% of the sound quality for 10-15% of the cost.

Sorry to hijack my own thread.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Bigbang wrote: »
    All great information vc and pitdogg. If I may ask vc what does your beach/den/budget system look like? I’m always interested in finding the most bang for the buck. 15k speaker cables are great I’m sure but a novelty to me. I’m interested in 85-90% of the sound quality for 10-15% of the cost.

Sorry to hijack my own thread.
    Sorry, due to heavy post-Tarheel-victory wine intake, I completely missed the fact that you got the Art, hehe. I did enjoy my time with the black (forget model with ADC) Art and DL-110. Never rolled tubes.

Not sure what that guest rig will end up looking like. Possibly a Sonos ConnectAmp, Amazon Fire tablet, Music Hall 2.1, DL-110, and DefTech SM45. Just wanted to add vinyl for the young Airbnb crowd. May do a retro rig with Marantz 2270 and Polk CRS+ "4.1tl" instead.

But my current, much-loved, budget rigs are Project Pre Box S2/DIY Pass ACA/DIY ML-TQWT (office) and Dayens Menuetto/Dynaudio Audience 50 (beach den). I am mesmerized by that office rig every single day. Working on another set of single drivers and ACA monos which may boot the Dayens/Dyn combo to the bedroom.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
    Those Voskhod's also have gold plated pins. FWIW

Some mullards are new Russian manufacturerd. Those appear to be older before Russia bought the rights to manufacture them. The flying saucer/UFO getter is a dead give away to Russian tube.
    I have no love for the Russian 6ak5 Mullards i bought them twice and both times they were HORRIBLE ...

Western Electric 403b
    Tung-Sol
    Seimens
    Hytron

All were great tubes
    FWIW

Well I just bought the Voshkods and with the EBay pop up discount they were $31 shipped. Now the wait....they’re coming from Moscow so I’ll probably have the pre amp first. I guess that will give me time to try the factory cheapies that come with it first I’ll let you guys know how both sets sound in about a month LOL Thanks for all the great info!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-VOSKHOD-6ZH1P-EV-6j1p-ev-5654-ef95-Matched-Pair-Little-Dot-Amp-III-IV/252223475771?pageci=132e415a-881d-41a1-9a52-5992719643d6
  • Bigbang
    Great tube info. I’m new to tubes so any info is great. Nice rigs vc. I like the simplicity of the marantz and crs system. Where might this musical Airbnb be located? Sounds like a Polkies vacation spot.