Phono preamp help

BigbangBigbang Posts: 185
edited February 3 in 2 Channel Audio
I need some advice on a decent phono preamp. I purchased a great little Thule pre that does not have one built in.

I’m not sure of a budget because I have no idea what one might cost but if I could find something under 100 that would be great.

I have an ortofon omega mm cartridge

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.

Comments

• hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,095
    $100 would be tough. If that’s the budget, I’d probably buy a $20 one off Amazon to get by as you save some funds.

$300 is probably the price range for a decent used one. I have been more than happy in the $400-$600 price range, but of course there are lots of options costing much, much more.
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - 1) Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold; 2) Sony PS LX410/Grado Green
    Phono Stage - PS Audio GCPH, Parks Audio Budgie; CD - Marantz DV4001
    Preamp - Dared SL2000a, Luminous Audio Axiom II; Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    2 Channel
    Turntable - VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Blue
    Integrated Amplifier - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
    Man Cave
    Preamp - Dared SL2000a, Luminous Audio Axiom II; Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    Suggesting a 400-600 dollar phono for a 36 dollar cartridge seems a bit overkill. Find yourself a used Cambridge Solo/651p or the like. The art dj pre on amazon gets lots of attention for the money
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• BigbangBigbang Posts: 185
    The system is on the budget end

Uturn turntable
    Adcom 545
    SDA-CRS
    SQB Touch
    Goodwill CD player
    I did see the DJ pre as well as the lititle bear 7 just to dip a bit into tubes. Thanks for that.
  • I would go for the UTurn Pluto at $100, about half that used - give/take.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    Harman Kardon HK 3770 > JBL Studio 580 + SVS SB12-NSD or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    Good suggestion at .005 THD
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,095
    edited February 3
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Suggesting a 400-600 dollar phono for a 36 dollar cartridge seems a bit overkill. Find yourself a used Cambridge Solo/651p or the like. The art dj pre on amazon gets lots of attention for the money

If he has his system listed in the sig, I can’t see it on my phone which is why I followed up with the gear question.

Now seeing the gear, I agree.
    Man Cave

I had a Hagerman Bugle that I liked, and was an improvement over the phono pre that I had in my Rogue Audio Sphinx at the time.

Both are a little over your budget, but their versatility will allow you to change cartridges.

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,593
    Get a used Parasound z-phono, you can get those for a hundy. Great bang for the buck. Not the USB version, just the regular z-phono.
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,520
    Hey @Bigbang - I just bought Zach's Lounge Audio and it will be replacing my Cambridge Audio 651p. If all works out, I'll be listing the Cambridge for sale. I bought it off of Rick88 about a year and a half ago for $125 shipped (actually gave him more than his reduced price since he was needing to sell stuff quick to raise cash). I'll be listing it for $100 shipped. I don't have any current pictures, but here's the original ad. It's exactly the same condition as in those pics.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177236/fs-cambridge-audio-651p-mm-mc-phono-preamp#latest

Let me know if you'd be interested and I'll give you first 'dibs' when I get around to swapping in the Lounge!

No pressure, as there are a lot of other great suggestions above too! Just throwing it out there.

-Al
    edited February 5
    Al,

I just ordered an art dj pre last night. It was 50 bucks and I’ve heard really good things about it although probably not as good as a Cambridge Audio 651p. I really appreciate the thought. I’m sure it will sell quick and if not Amazon just might get the dj returned.

Thanks Al.

David
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,520
    David - no worries! That Art DJ Pre looks like a neat little preamp. The adjustable gain is nice, and the price is great! If it doesn't work out for you, let me know. I'll give you first dibs on mine. I might have other interest as well, so no worries if you pass.