Am I too old to learn the piano?

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
edited January 2019 in The Clubhouse
Any piano enthusiasts here?

I played a little when I was a child but it didn’t get far. I never had a keyboard to practice at home so that weekly lesson was basically a waste as I would never get further in my training and I would be frustrated.

We just bought a Yamaha baby grand, I bought it for my wife who is well trained and for the kids (4,2,1) to learn on.

But the question is, would it be a waste for me to try at my age or can I actually become pretty decent after a few years? I wonder if my brain is too hardwired by now.

If I or the kids become really good or if the wife pushes for a better piano, I can foresee myself creating a music room where I can house a spectacular piano someday and not even a Steinway D would be out of reach. Everyone can dream right?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Of course you can learn. If you have an ear for music why not?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Play boogie-woogie blues and as you get older you will grow into it.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    When I did the music store gig, the number one instrument picked up by the elderly was the piano. The piano sparks cognitive functions and finger dexterity, we had multiples of students 70 to 95 that took the piano and excelled.

Obviously, I'm not saying you are elderly, but more so you can never not learn anything you put your mind to!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Joey, did you ever learn any other instruments? I find that music is a lot like language. If you were not raised bi-lingual, you can learn another language, but it is a LOT more difficult. But someone who learned another language early on can much more easily pick up yet another. Music is very similar. Yes, you can learn no matter what, but it will be much easier if you can already read music and have rhythm gained from playing another instrument (I play multiple instruments so this comes from experience).

FYI, my wife is a classically trained vocalist who taught piano lessons in college. 3/4 of my kids are taking piano lessons from graduate students (the 4 year old will start next year). We purchased an upright Steinway from an estate sale for $700 dollars. It has to be tuned a little more often due to age, but its a nice playing/sounding piano. If at least one of my children continues to play into high school (they are all required to take four years by us), then we will consider upgrading to something better depending on funds of course.

After playing the tenor sax for 7 years I was able to upgrade from a used POS we bought from the local music store to a slightly used Selmer Paris Mark VI (a $5000 instrument). I REALLY appreciated that instrument after playing the other one for so long. I would consider something similar for your children, but of course, its your family and your money. Just my take...

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I'm sure your current piano talent/skills far exceeds your current talent or lack there of for buying shorts and you don't post a question regarding that. I say play on!!
    Heck get yourself a keyboard and some cans if you are shy or nervous as to what others might think for now. When you are comfortable enough to play on your big piano, sit down, crack those fingers and let it rip!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Playing is more fun than listening go for it
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Willow wrote: »
    I'm sure your current piano talent/skills far exceeds your current talent or lack there of for buying shorts and you don't post a question regarding that. I say play on!!
    Heck get yourself a keyboard and some cans if you are shy or nervous as to what others might think for now. When you are comfortable enough to play on your big piano, sit down, crack those fingers and let it rip!!

For some reason this caused a picture of Linus flashed before my eyes
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I bought it for my wife who is well trained

You should be applauded for having a well trained wife. Too many nowadays are just plain sassy.

I should probably issue an apology at this point but ... well, it's probably too late.

B)o:)
    I hope you have your final affairs in order.

Somewhere, deep in a hidden bunker, reside a couple highly offended people that frequent here that have set about plotting your demise.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I say "go for it" if you think you can stick with it due to work and life in general.

We are going to enroll the 5yo into guitar lessons. I plan on going with her.

I used to play the piano (nothing technical) and liked it.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think you can learn for sure. It takes a LOT of practice before it goes from being a chore to enjoyable though, so if you do try don’t just go for a week and decide you don’t like it.
    The piano book I use is really great as well, I am gonna practice after lunch and I can tell you what it is. It teaches you all the basics, but goes quicker from really basic stuff to more intermediate tunes. :)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I vote too OLD!

Just kidding, my dad didn't start picking up Guitar until he was 35 and in prison ha! Not much else to do in there I guess. He is pretty fantastic at it now.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    I took organ lessons for 10 years growing up, and ended up playing pipe organ before discovering photojournalism and throwing all my time into that.

I still bang around on the piano, and can make my way through sight reading, at age 55

My daughter, age 7, is now taking lessons and I help her with her practice. As a result of that, I’m now considering starting back with lessons with my daughter‘s teacher.

The key is finding a good teacher. Don’t settle for someone in the neighborhood who is just doing it to make a few extra bucks on the side. Check with the local university with a music program, or the local Montessori school, or some of the larger churches in the area that still have traditional music.

See where the lines cross, and start with the person who seems to have the best reputation. They probably won’t be able to work UN, but they will be able to recommend someone.

Finding the right teacher is key. And only slightly less important than actually putting the time and practicing in a disciplined way.

Good luck.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Not to old for the piano, it is about the easiest instrument to learn. If it were the piccolo, probably yes.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    Not to old for the piano, it is about the easiest instrument to learn. If it were the piccolo, probably yes.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited January 2019
    I bought it for my wife who is well trained

I hope you have your final affairs in order.

Somewhere, deep in a hidden bunker, reside a couple highly offended people that frequent here that have set about plotting your demise.

I'm probably way ahead of him in line.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2019
    I am confused.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    If you want to play "Chopsticks", NO.

If you want to play Chopin's "Prelude 16", YES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQAjEJEPKc
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    If you have to ask then you are.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Not to old for the piano, it is about the easiest instrument to learn. If it were the piccolo, probably yes.

Uhm… yeah, the piccolo, yeah that's what we call it these days. :p

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Never too late. The kids got an electric keyboard a while back. I wound up playing it the most! Lot's of fun! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Never ever to old to learn my friend. Go for it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Go for it Joey!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    Thx guys

I will try. And if I fail, Atleast I tried.

At 36, spring chicken no more.

Atleast my ears can still appreciate the sound. I have not heard anything as beautiful as the Steinway D. Absolutely heaven on Earth.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2019
    It's another activity to share with your family. Don't be discouraged when your kids blow your doors off...they learn so fast

let this be an inspiration

https://youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    let this be an inspiration as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQ63EZfUMA
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    My take....if your not too old to keep wearing those shorts, your not too old to learn the Piano. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    You can do it. Like you, I took lessons as a kid for a short time, and if you can still read music (as already mentioned above), you have a little head start. Even though I quit playing piano, I did do lots of choral singing, so pretty much had to still read music. Now I have a console piano, originally purchased for my kids to learn - didn't stick, so now I peck around on it occasionally.

Here's your first lesson...guitar hero style, but for piano :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTVZMJ9Z2I
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @Joey_V yeah shut up, at 36 you are not even too old to learn the pile driver!