Which drives do you trust in your NAS?

I am running out of space ( I don't know why, there aint so much I put on it. No movies or big stuff like that ) on my WD 4TB so I may need to get larger drives. What brand and size do you use and why?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Maybe I should try cleaning it out, any suggestions on what to use?
  • afterburnt
    "WARNING:
    CHOKING HAZARD -- Toy contains a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs."

This was on the Amazon NAS page. I figured I would pass it along for those that plan on getting their three year old a NAS.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    HGST.... because Ryan @ZLTFUL told me the gov uses em.....

WD because IIRC they bought HGST and now use their manufacturing methods.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited January 2019
    I have 22 Hitachi/HGST drives, 4 WD Reds, 2 WD Blues, 4 Seagate Ironwolf and a handful of Toshiba drives.

The most reliable by far have been the HGST Ultrastar NAS drives.
    I have 2 HGST HE6 drives on the way...they use helium in the drives to increase bearing life and help tame turbulence from the rotating platters. Not sure of their durability yet as they are the first 2 I will be using.

BackBlaze does a quarterly reliability report as they use mostly consumer grade drives in their storage arrays. The Hitachi/HGST drives have historically been the most reliable with WD Reds and Blacks coming in second. Seagate and Toshiba tend to be the worst reliable for them.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited January 2019
    I use WD Red as well.
    Run from Seagate unless you're interested in building a collection of paperweights, or harvesting really strong magnets for pinching your fingers and other uses. Like hanging dish towels from the oven door handle.

kmxa6hg7cxoi.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • ZLTFUL

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited January 2019
    In all fairness, I'm basing my recommendation against Seagate on experiences from quite some time ago, and nothing recent within the past 3-5 years. They may have gotten better. I imagine one of those reports Ryan's linked will provide some data on them.

But I know a guy using Seagate disks, and am sure he's facing imminent failure across all drives. I'm also pretty sure they're gonna fail with 10-15 seconds of each other. Even the ones that aren't plugged in, and stored in a real fire safe.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    Any good ideas on how to clean up my NAS? There can't be 3.5 terra of important stuff on it.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Do you frequently delete files from the NAS and does it have a trash bin or recovery bin that stores deleted files? If so, you may have a lot of deleted files taking up space.

I use WD Red in my video NAS and WD Black for music storage.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • afterburnt
    edited January 2019
    Do you frequently delete files from the NAS and does it have a trash bin or recovery bin that stores deleted files? If so, you may have a lot of deleted files taking up space.

I use WD Red in my video NAS and WD Black for music storage.

I see nothing in the app that lets me delete or clean up anything. It does not show on the network like a regular drive so there is no access to it under windows.
  • ZLTFUL
    Seagate really has turned their image around since the days of their "likely to fail" 3TB and smaller drives.
    In all fairness, I am giving the Ironwolf drives a shot as a friend has been using them since their inception with no failure issues to speak of in their data center (he is the senior engineer/architect for the county north of us and handles the data center for their law enforcement, county attorney and county auditor offices).

Bruce, what NAS are you using? It may help to identify the "garbage" retention and removal of that particular device.

• afterburnt
    edited January 2019
    @ZLTFUL a QNAP, I have not gotten into any advanced stuff that it's supposed to do, just my music and my photos and that does change a lot. It's a 2 bay, I am thinking of a 4 bay so I can use 1 of the 2 extra bays for an SD drive that is supposed act as a high speed cache???
  • ZLTFUL
    https://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/SMB/en/index.html?network_recycle_bin.htm

That was a quick search...not by any means a definitive guide but if the default retention is 180 days, I could see a bunch of space getting allocated to recycle bin contents if you are adding/deleting files regularly.

• afterburnt
    @ZLTFUL I found that I didn't know it was there thanks it made some room. Anything good for looking for duplicates?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I use WD Reds with a spread of 8's, 6's, 4's.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    I have been using WD Reds for several years now. No issues yet (fingers-crossed)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    WD Reds here. Have had no failures. My oldest drive is about 4 yrs old.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Seagate really has turned their image around since the days of their "likely to fail" 3TB and smaller drives.
    In all fairness, I am giving the Ironwolf drives a shot as a friend has been using them since their inception with no failure issues to speak of in their data center (he is the senior engineer/architect for the county north of us and handles the data center for their law enforcement, county attorney and county auditor offices).

Bruce, what NAS are you using? It may help to identify the "garbage" retention and removal of that particular device.

4 10TB Iron Wolf drives in my NAS and no issues. Hope they last until I can get my hands on 4- 10TB SSD's!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • I started out with 2TB WD green drives in my NAS before the reds ever came out. 10 years going and no issues. I don’t keep important stuff on them at this point and they are in a RAID configuration for failure. Point is, they keep going.

I moved to WD red and gold for my important files (photos, music). The gold drives are faster and have a 5 year warranty. The red drives are slower and have a 3 year warranty.

I have both 8TB and 4TB drives of the above. Never had a failure yet with them. They sit in Synology NAS enclosures. I make sure they have enough ventilation to keep cool for longevity. I’m sold on their drives.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • afterburnt
    I sent for these, they should be pretty good judging by the lifetime throughput and warranty. Pretty good bang for the buck?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT8WYSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1