Are cassettes really making a comeback?

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 7,978
    S
    erniejade wrote: »
    ya5cg2cojrhs.jpg

I also have this. Do they count?

Wow! That’s awesome! Next time I’m in Chicago, I’d like to visit your museum! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,078
    LOL thanks. You should have seen it before I had to convert the basement to bedrooms. I had triple this but sold them off and only kept a few.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,207
    8Lrr.gif
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    So this combo player looks interesting. Originally a professional piece of equipment, but could apply to a nearfield setup where space is limited. Marantz too! Hmmm. :smile:
    65lbeb7bv34q.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-Model-PMD350U-Professional-Rack-Mount-Cassette-Deck-CD-Player-S3538x/312412113893
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,353
    Did I mention this link before in the context of this thread?
    If so, my apologies for being redundant.

https://medium.com/@aubreynorwood/why-2019-will-be-the-year-of-the-cassette-7f9fb91859a3

I hope the link works; if not, here's a screenshot of the beginning of the article, FWIW.

m8a1n88jwk53.png
    You might not have realised it yet, but the popularity of cassettes tapes is on the rise. You’d be forgiven for thinking that the obsolete audio format was gone for good, but over the past few years that little nostalgic rectangle has caught the imagination of an entirely new generation.

And looking forward, 2019 seems like it will (again) be the year of the humble cassette tape.

Artists, audio-heads, musicians and even oddball music fans have all picked up the format that nobody wanted, and over recent years, sales in cassettes have skyrocketed, albeit still relative.

13 Reasons Why used the format as a pivotal thematic plot device throughout the whole series and Guardians of the Galaxy’s merch cassette tie-in have basically solidified its presence in modern popular culture.

But why? What’s so alluring about the format you probably have a box full of somewhere in your loft?
    Yep. Seems like the hipsters among us nostalgic bunch are getting back into em! :smile:
    edited January 27
    Start hoarding them eight tracks, before it's too late!

I've got a couple of vinyl-covered carriers full of 'em (dump finds, all, including the carrying cases) :)

(sadly, I am not kidding)

lvnajowayv2v.png

a9qd10auvnqf.png
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,358
    How about these cassette decks just posted on my Craig's list?
    I was tempted for second for that Kyocera but I really don't need another player for 50.00 or more. 20bucks...maybe. :D
    https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/supply-vintage-high-quality-stereo/6805391904.html
    3rngnaumxm2e.png
    tq5tei7cjidc.png
    38utcl1pddzg.png
    8slzvmeqp4g5.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    The Kyocera (Kyoto Ceramic) stuff was good and elegantly attractive, as well. Seldom seen.
    @verb What about Bible of Dreams on cassette?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Nice! :smile:
    So I found this guy recently. Denon UDR-F10 Cassette Deck! Nice machined aluminum faceplate. Horizontal loading tray, Dolby B/C/HXPro, Auto Reverse. Small form factor, which will fit on the desk in my nearfield setip. Checking it out now! :smile:
    5kazyfd22jl7.jpg
    that is pretty cool.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,358
    I didn't know one of those existed! It's beautiful!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    I've probably mentioned this before, but, if one of these happened to show up on my path at an attractive price... it'd probably follow me home. Even if it didn't work.

5h49s88c4ale.png

borrowed image :)

... and these would be runners-up:
    (also borrowed images)

hg6cp8dnmaj2.png

042zcmxbz7gb.png
  • shackshack Posts: 11,284
    m7wbb2boa65q.jpg

If they do make a comeback...I'm ready.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
    Latest release of Glitch Mob. Available on cassette! :smile:
    rfp6mpemoed4.png
    My wife's old cassette tape collection that's been sitting untouched in a closet for the last 14 years. I have nothing to play them on.

c21xut7gv76l.jpg

pdhixkdlwmbm.jpg

1ljz7cpveh6e.jpg
    ... careful what you wish for ;)

Drew I have a Pioneer Dual Cassette deck. Pics are in this thread. Yours if you want it! I'll even pay for shipping!

I've since moved on to a Luxman deck in the basement, and the office rig has (not hooked up yet) Denon horizontal deck!

Welcome to Club Cassette! :smile:
    Dave you are too generous!
    Naw, all part of the journey. Let me know my man! You and the Mrs will be rocking to Paula Abdul and Queen Latifah in no time! :smile:
    verb wrote: »
    Naw, all part of the journey. Let me know my man! You and the Mrs will be rocking to Paula Abdul and Queen Latifah in no time! :smile:

Straight Up!

Timeless music right there.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,322
    edited March 15
    ^^^^^^^I'm thinking there should be plenty of cassettes for sale in Sutton a week from tomorrow if that's what someone needs. Hopefully you'll be attending Doc?
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,190
    edited March 15
    NM
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

This Nakamichi Deck just popped on CL here locally. 75 bucks! :smile:
    6y9y2klegj09.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/rochester-vintage-nakamichi-cassette/6843681632.html
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,511
    @verb Keep looking you may find the rare Elcaset someday. At least you're in a big city with large selections. https://1001hifi.blogspot.com/2015/01/elcaset-rise-and-fall-of-hi-fi-tape.html